A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
I fully understand where they are coming from, having had my products copied all over the place, but I'm starting to smell some BS...

I hope I'm wrong for all the owners out there with untunable cars

Tsar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I don’t think they are releasing it anytime soon.. I’m glad people are actually making progress either way ??

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c087a7e8c8d398223e73422cac8087c&t=1834548

Now to the most asked question: When can I have it?
There is a great saying in many cultures which goes: "There is no honor among thieves". Not only is it true, it also applies applies well in the tuning world as there truly no honor among hackers. Only few select people/companies in this niche market respect and understand Intellectual Property rights, and have enough decency to refrain from "stealing" from other tuners. Since we went main stream years ago, we have always been the first to the market with the new product including OBD unlocking first Fxx B58 DMEs, F97 AWD->RWD flashing, hybrid range extension flashing, first OBD M340i flashing and list just goes on. One thing that all of our innovations had in common is the fact that someone else "developed" an identical solution days after public release. Sadly, that is not a pun or a joke, but a cold fact that has been proven time after time.

With that that being said, we have learned our lesson and will not be making this unlock available to public until either one of these 3 things happen:

1) We are able to fully secure the unlock process against data-loggers so no user can log traffic and reverse engineer our process. (Also applies to BMW engineers as that is how the tuning "locks" are created by BMW)

2) Any other major company puts in the hard work and unlocks these 2021 DMEs over OBD2 port with no need to Bench Flash.

3) You, the end users, group up together and force every public tuning company to sign a non compete agreement for the 06/2020+ DMEs. Yeah I know, that's a wishful thinking but worth a try.
This kind of reads, to me, as "we actually have nothing but wanted to create some buzz in the community".

The proposition is that they unlocked it, can tune it but not gonna tune customers and turn down solid money. Instead they will sit and wait til number 2 happens (because neither 1 or 2 are happening). My BS meter is pinging hard :dunno:

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
I'm not sure why your BS meter would be pining at all. As already shown in the video, you can't adjust the hp/tq visuals inside of the IDrive system without flashing the DME. It's been like that even for unlocked BMWs. Yet he provides a video showing manipulation of the hp/tq values inside of IDrive in real time proving he's making alterations to the DME. So obviously he isn't lying.

In regards to waiting, it's been 1 year and no other company has shown any evidence of being able to even accomplish what he displayed in that video. If they immediately released this product today, by next week multiple companies would have reversed engineered the year worth of work MP put into doing this.

So here's how this makes sense. If they wait say 2-4 months and develop a way to encrypt the process they use to flash the DME and no one else comes to market before them then they have the entire BMW market to themselves. If another company produces an unencrypted method to flash then it doesn't matter because they can immediately release their tunes as well. Which would then be exactly like the market is now for pre locked ECU. This is a no lose situation for them and they built even greater name recognition by being first to announce with video proof.

max

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stinger (no more......)
I fully understand where they are coming from, having had my products copied all over the place, but I'm starting to smell some BS...

I hope I'm wrong for all the owners out there with untunable cars
It's not "April" is it????????

I don't intend to tune mine even if this is true but am hopeful for '21 owners who want it......but it is starting to smell like fish in here.....

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Anyone saying it's BS doesn't understand how Intellectual property works and what lengths companies go through to secure it. They release this out to market without a safe guard and all their competition has to do is buy it and reverse engineer it. Which is likely 1/16th the R&D they would've had to do otherwise.

Are they marketing, creating some hype? Obviously...they'd be stupid not to, but that doesn't mean they're trying to sell magic beans.

Here's to hoping they get it figured out for all you poor bastards that didn't get a tunable 2021 :p

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
This kind of reads, to me, as "we actually have nothing but wanted to create some buzz in the community".

The proposition is that they unlocked it, can tune it but not gonna tune customers and turn down solid money. Instead they will sit and wait til number 2 happens (because neither 1 or 2 are happening). My BS meter is pinging hard :dunno:
Yea. Im now reading this as we are not releasing it till:

1) you won't be able to work with your local tuner without our permission because we are just going to relock your ECU

2) we are not releasing it till someone else releases it first ( this seems fishy to me considering talking about people stealing porducts.... )

3)fuck you, the customer.

Lendo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium (sold)
I suppose if folks are offended by Mission’s stance of protecting their IP, they can go ahead and attempt to do the same and if successful, release their work for free.

I’ve never seen so much complaining over good news before. :doh:

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose if folks are offended by Mission’s stance of protecting their IP, they can go ahead and attempt to do the same and if successful, release their work for free.

I’ve never seen so much complaining over good news before. :doh:
I dont think it is complaining over good news. I think it is people being extremely cautiously optimistic. Soon could mean next week or a year from now depending who you ask. How many companies have said "we have the solution to your problem" and then never deliver, or it is an absolute shit solution? A lot...

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
I'm sure it will come out. My worry is how much they are going to charge?

1. How much money did they sink into the project?

2. What's the demand for the unlock?

3. What profit margin is the company looking to make at minimum?

I hope it's not a crazy high number for people, But when you are currently the only one in the world who will do the unlocks. You bet they will try to make a few extra bucks on the situation.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I don’t think they are releasing it anytime soon.. I’m glad people are actually making progress either way ??

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?s=2c087a7e8c8d398223e73422cac8087c&t=1834548

With that that being said, we have learned our lesson and will not be making this unlock available to public until either one of these 3 things happen:

1) We are able to fully secure the unlock process against data-loggers so no user can log traffic and reverse engineer our process. (Also applies to BMW engineers as that is how the tuning "locks" are created by BMW)

2) Any other major company puts in the hard work and unlocks these 2021 DMEs over OBD2 port with no need to Bench Flash.

3) You, the end users, group up together and force every public tuning company to sign a non compete agreement for the 06/2020+ DMEs. Yeah I know, that's a wishful thinking but worth a try.
Kudos to MP for figuring this out. Maybe there is an angle I am missing here, but if they have figured out the unlock process, and they are worried about the freerider problem, then Mission could sell the unlock information directly to other tuners for whatever is a fair price. :dunno: Still will be a freerider problem but could be mitigated somewhat if they wait until they have some critical mass of committed buyers before releasing the product. There's not that-that many tuners out there, so seems like a viable path if #1 and #2 aren't happening anytime soon.

felcrum

First Name
Abdullah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Prem, '20 RC350

If another company launches it first, I'm definitely going to them. Screw them for holding it hostage.

Last edited:

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
All the BS calling is BS.
Damn this is a shame they’re being so selfish. They’re like 5 mins from my house and I have a locked ‘21.
Selfish? They're running a business.