A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
That's such a silly way to look at it.

Once it's unlocked, it's unlocked and some folks seem to be getting close.
I think realistic rather than silly, go back through the thread, the numbers of guys who have said it will be unlocked soon, mate has had his unlocked etc etc etc, still hasn't happened

Don't get me wrong I hope it is unlocked, a tune brings so much to this car, but the reality is it hasn't yet.

This isn't a "Supra only " issue, there will be plenty of companies trying to achieve it, think of the number guys lining up to get their cars tuned, goldmine right there :)

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
RKTunes are saying they have unlocked 6/20 ecus
They aren't actually. They're saying they can generate a passing signature for the ECU file. When you get the ECU back it will not be unlocked, it will have new software on it.

jdbadb

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type-R, 2021 Toyota Supra 3.0
They aren't actually. They're saying they can generate a passing signature for the ECU file. When you get the ECU back it will not be unlocked, it will have new software on it.
What is the difference for the customer? Will this new software on the ECU still allow it to function as an unlocked ECU?

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
What is the difference for the customer? Will this new software on the ECU still allow it to function as an unlocked ECU?
No it means they figured out how to write to the ECU but its a new program and thats it.No changes without sending it to them each time.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450

Big difference. A custom tune "should" have several revisions and tweeks along the path to final tune. And then down the line you may want to change something because your style of driving or how you race has changed. Each time you would have to mail them your ECU

Glad someone is making progress

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Where are Ecutek and bootmod3 in all this, I wonder.