A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
Shoot me a text and ill see if I can assist.

252-314-5604
Hey thanks Marshall - will do, just saw your message today. I came over to the Supra forum because I actually just bought a '21 Z4 M40i, saw the issues with the new BMW's so obviously knew it would affect me the same way. Saw some posts on some of the BMW cars about this looking like it will happen with all new BMWs, the new '21 M3/M4's on the way as well - not being just limited to our cars, I imagine the modding community will be all over this as soon as more people start to hear about it, asking "WHEN WILL THERE BE A FIX". I had almost pulled the trigger on exhaust/downpipe but then finding out I can't tune the car, went to playing the waiting game.

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Just confirming if the CAL ID shows 120 then it's locked, if it should 110 or 115 then it's ok to be tuned with ECUTEK

Can MHD and BM3 unlock the 120 CAL ID but ECUTEK cannot?

Marin@MarinTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Just confirming if the CAL ID shows 120 then it's locked, if it should 110 or 115 then it's ok to be tuned with ECUTEK

Can MHD and BM3 unlock the 120 CAL ID but ECUTEK cannot?
ecutek has no issues unlocking 120 cal. I unlock these all the time. This is not an ecutek specific issue there are zero unlock tools that work with the new physical harswere regardless of the software version.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Any potential updates over the last week? Curious to understand who actually works on cracking these things. Is it all the way at the top down, like EcuTek type company does it first then they relay it to their distribtuors/tuners?

Huddleston

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
See Sig
Any potential updates over the last week? Curious to understand who actually works on cracking these things. Is it all the way at the top down, like EcuTek type company does it first then they relay it to their distribtuors/tuners?
Also curious on this as i have downpipe, exhaust and pure 800 ordered with a 7/20 build date on my car. My goal was to have it tuned and ready by the end of the year and I hope that the ECU can be cracked by then.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Also curious on this as i have downpipe, exhaust and pure 800 ordered with a 7/20 build date on my car. My goal was to have it tuned and ready by the end of the year and I hope that the ECU can be cracked by then.
Yeah I just got my car, August build date. I actually have a Z4 m40i, came over here because there are no serious tuners on the BMW Z4 forums (go figure, most of them are probably 50 years old). Had exhaust and downpipe in cart ready to purchase, then found this thread after talking to my local tuner being told it wasn't going to happen. Love my car, no doubt, but making an extra 60 horsepower and having a much louder exhaust would make me a happier camper.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Yeah I just got my car, August build date. I actually have a Z4 m40i, came over here because there are no serious tuners on the BMW Z4 forums (go figure, most of them are probably 50 years old). Had exhaust and downpipe in cart ready to purchase, then found this thread after talking to my local tuner being told it wasn't going to happen. Love my car, no doubt, but making an extra 60 horsepower and having a much louder exhaust would make me a happier camper.
You can still mount the catback. Won't hurt anything. The tuning comes in when you're doing sensor related parts like downpipe and intake.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can still mount the catback. Won't hurt anything. The tuning comes in when you're doing sensor related parts like downpipe and intake.
For sure, was going to buy it together and save on shipping, but at this point I might as well just install the exhaust and hold onto the downpipe. Just a bummer when there's no clue when the ECU will actually be tuneable

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
No updates as of now.

7/20 build date doesnt effect anything. Its the ECU date that does. Let me know your ECU date and ill confirm if its locked down or not.
Incorrect. He can mount the catback. But he can also install the intake. Intake does not effect tuning. Could install a downpipe, but if its catless, he will have a CEL, but no limp modes. Just a light.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
No updates as of now.

7/20 build date doesnt effect anything. Its the ECU date that does. Let me know your ECU date and ill confirm if its locked down or not.

Incorrect. He can mount the catback. But he can also install the intake. Intake does not effect tuning. Could install a downpipe, but if its catless, he will have a CEL, but no limp modes. Just a light.
thanks for the update Marshall. I’ll do it tomorrow, can I pull the DME up to look at the build date without actually disconnecting the cables? Just checking, cuz that’d be a little easier than trying to remember the color coding or numbering them

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
thanks for the update Marshall. I’ll do it tomorrow, can I pull the DME up to look at the build date without actually disconnecting the cables? Just checking, cuz that’d be a little easier than trying to remember the color coding or numbering them
Yes you can lift itnup enough to see the label without disconnecting the ecu plugs themselves

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
The fix for this is not going to actually come from a tuner. Its 98% positively going to come from one of the companies of which the tuners use their tools.

IE- magicmotorsports, alientech, cmd, bitbox, bflash, autotuner, and etc. those are the main companies that do the software engineering for stuff like this.

Just be patient. I dont see it being an overnight thing since its on bosch rnd

Once there solution to unlock the latest ecus. Everyone will know.

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Ive seen some slide it up enough to view without unplugging it. Unplugging certainly will make it easier. You can always snap a photo of the colors as well to see which order they're in.

Feel free to shoot me a message if you need help. Happy to assist.

Marin@MarinTuned

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Its complicated. We use tools by third parties that are made by companies that spend their entire existance doing this exact service. Making tools that let us write to ECU's that are locked. EcuTek works with some of these companies to get support. So the tool that I use is not made directly by EcuTek directly. The moment a company gets an unlock method available I would go out of my way to purchase said toolset. Over time I am sure the tools that I currently use will have the feature to unlock the newer ECU's. This is fairly common on a lot of modern euro markets using bosch ECU's. New ecus come out... And a while after someone finds a way around it and sells us a tool to do it. I will have access the same time that ecutek corporate does. They dont do any unlocks them selves for us. There is no top down method here.

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
Yeah I'm going to wait to tune until the companies that make the tune is able to crack it