A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Nexus90

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra A91 Edition, 19 Camry, 04 Sequoia
Close.. If you are unlocked with Bootmod3, you basically have two options right now without RE-UNLOCKING. BM3 or MHD. For whatever reason, this unlock only works with those two tuning companies.

When I inquired to go ecutek, I was told I need to RE-Lock and RE-UNLOCK for ecutek specifically. To do this, the ecu would need to be sent out (I do not have a local unlock service for ecutek) There are obvious risks there, shipping, etc..

In short, I have Jeff Payn tuning my car via BM3 platform. He typically tunes on ecutek, but can use BM3 as well. Had I known this in the beginning, I wouldn't have even entertained ecutek. I also really like having my maps cloud based. Anywhere I go, I can access them. Ecutek requires a usb dongle (Correct me if Im wrong) BM3 will have rolling anti-lag, ethanol analyzing and map switch on the fly soon, I have always enjoyed their platform so I will stay loyal.

I will say, their OTS maps for the supra were awful.. But, I helped them iron those out with a month long datalog festival, lol. Tuning is such a touchy subject in this community, there are incredibly strong opinions and everyone's guy is "the best". Just do your research and go with whomever fits what you are looking for. Botti is great, f80 paul is great and Payn is great. Those are the guys I trust right now.

Hope this helps.
after watching your video i think i may be seeking the similar features you are, as in looking for that extra punch but still having the daily drive ability, i mean hey we bought the cars to drive them right? im glad i was right that you are on the forums keep doing what youre doing fam cause likely what you end up doing i may mimic to a degree, mainly referring to the tune aspect.

danko

First Name
Wilbur
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra GR A91 - refraction blue
Close.. If you are unlocked with Bootmod3, you basically have two options right now without RE-UNLOCKING. BM3 or MHD. For whatever reason, this unlock only works with those two tuning companies.

When I inquired to go ecutek, I was told I need to RE-Lock and RE-UNLOCK for ecutek specifically. To do this, the ecu would need to be sent out (I do not have a local unlock service for ecutek) There are obvious risks there, shipping, etc..

In short, I have Jeff Payn tuning my car via BM3 platform. He typically tunes on ecutek, but can use BM3 as well. Had I known this in the beginning, I wouldn't have even entertained ecutek. I also really like having my maps cloud based. Anywhere I go, I can access them. Ecutek requires a usb dongle (Correct me if Im wrong) BM3 will have rolling anti-lag, ethanol analyzing and map switch on the fly soon, I have always enjoyed their platform so I will stay loyal.

I will say, their OTS maps for the supra were awful.. But, I helped them iron those out with a month long datalog festival, lol. Tuning is such a touchy subject in this community, there are incredibly strong opinions and everyone's guy is "the best". Just do your research and go with whomever fits what you are looking for. Botti is great, f80 paul is great and Payn is great. Those are the guys I trust right now.

Hope this helps.

Hey I am super new here, so I apologize for be the FNG, but do you have any contact information for the tuners you suggested? Thanks!!

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Hey I am super new here, so I apologize for be the FNG, but do you have any contact information for the tuners you suggested? Thanks!!
Youll want to use Ecutek. We’re the largest dealer in the US and the largest MKV tuner in the world.

Would be happy to help you.

ThicWhips

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thicf30.com
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Folks will want to sell you anything. Do your research and choice your tune/tuner based off of what aligns with your goals and driving habits. (Need help with this? Message me.)

Ecutek is sold by many dealers online: Speed Industry and Kies Mototsports have great customer reviews and support (research the companies you do work with as well.)

Any questions shoot me a PM, I'm not a business and I have no need to sell you products you don't need. :)

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Z4 M40i, 2021 Rubicon Unlimited
We can tune plenty of 21 models. After a 6/1/20 dated ecu? No sir. No one does at this time.
Marshall - what was it that made 6/1 the definitive date? I sometimes hear so many varying things, you guys are the only one saying absolutely nothing after 6/1, where as others I've heard after 6/21, before 7/1, etc. Is there anything different about the actual ECU itself in terms of the hardware or anything that can determine that it cannot be tuned other than looking at the date?

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Marshall - what was it that made 6/1 the definitive date? I sometimes hear so many varying things, you guys are the only one saying absolutely nothing after 6/1, where as others I've heard after 6/21, before 7/1, etc. Is there anything different about the actual ECU itself in terms of the hardware or anything that can determine that it cannot be tuned other than looking at the date?
Ask any of the once telling you 6/21 or 7/1 to unlock your ecu if its before then. We've asked some of those shops to share their logs as it would show this information and none did so (because 6/1 is the real cutoff, lol)

Its hardware, but nothing the consumer can tell visually aside from the date.

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ask any of the once telling you 6/21 or 7/1 to unlock your ecu if its before then. We've asked some of those shops to share their logs as it would show this information and none did so (because 6/1 is the real cutoff, lol)

Its hardware, but nothing the consumer can tell visually aside from the date.
That's good to know, because I have asked probably 5 at this point and you guys are the only one that says 6/1 and are sure of it. I haven't sent it to anyone yet to have them verify it, but at this point I may as well (car is sitting in my garage during the winter) just to be able to say myself with absolute certainty. Mine is 6-21-20.

ijrebuck

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Mine is 06/05 and was unable to be unlocked. I shipped mine off out of curiosity. Marshall is right

delita1

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mine is 06/05 and was unable to be unlocked. I shipped mine off out of curiosity. Marshall is right
Oddly enough my local tuner has a 6/25 cutoff that they said they received from EcuTek, I told them that they were likely wrong but I may send it off to check just out of curiosity myself. I have a Z4 M40i, not a Supra, no idea if they updated the ECU's for the Zed at the same time as the Supra - it makes sense, but you never know.

ijrebuck

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Oddly enough my local tuner has a 6/25 cutoff that they said they received from EcuTek, I told them that they were likely wrong but I may send it off to check just out of curiosity myself. I have a Z4 M40i, not a Supra, no idea if they updated the ECU's for the Zed at the same time as the Supra - it makes sense, but you never know.
you’ll never know until you send it off. We’ll just keep going in circles with these replies. So try it