A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

DatBassTho

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ram 1500
I know this is the go-to thread for this topic. Are any other forums having similar discussions?

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
What would it take to use a 2020 ECU in a 2021? Like how involved would the process be since I assume it wouldnā€™t be a direct swap?

Or would it be possible to just drop in an unlockable 2021 ECU into a 2021 model assuming itā€™s stock (the ECU not being flashed I mean)?

Cause also theoretically then could the ECU just be swapped out the flashed one for the original stock one every time you take it to Toyota and they wouldnā€™t have any logs showing the ECU was flashed?
I'm interested in finding the answer to this too.. Supra owners with no plans of tuning their cars could be a goldmine for ECU swaps if it's all compatible.
That being said, 2020 models have the B58B30C engine, and 2021 models have the B58B30O1 engine.
If it is possible to simply swap ECUs between an unlocked 2021 ECU and locked 2021 ECU, that would at least help some people. Problem-free swapping between a 2020 and 2021 ECU would be amazing.

Anyone know what's up with this idea?

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
From what I remember about the member who had his ecu lost by fedex, Seems like ecu replacement needs to have dealer involved to program it correctly. Itā€™s not just a simple swap.

Swapping a 20 ecu for a 21 ecu is a no go

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
From what I remember about the member who had his ecu lost by fedex, Seems like ecu replacement needs to have dealer involved to program it correctly. Itā€™s not just a simple swap.

Swapping a 20 ecu for a 21 ecu is a no go
If a dealership can take a generic replacement DME and code it to the proper VIN, I don't see why they couldn't code a 20 to a 21's vin?

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
highly doubt the above is plausible. Might be pissing in the wind thinking the ECU from one Supra to another will work.

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
From my understanding it has been tried, but unsuccessful....
Honestly?

Two Supra owners could definitely try it out. Ideally two people who trust each other with a '21 locked and unlocked ECU at least. They can just swap it manually and go to a dealership and say they need the ECU reprogrammed.

There's also the change of it hurting warranty, so I'm not sure if that's a viable option for owners who care about the warranty.

This sucks :(

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I know this has been discussed before, but are people with untunable cars (like me) waiting for the ECU to be cracked running something like JB4 or RaceChip (Titan) in the mean time? They seem like good options but I don't see much mention of them, just that people are frustrated about the ECU being uncrackable at the moment and waiting for it to happen. Sure, I would prefer a cracked ECU, but if I can get 100hp out of a piggyback it seems alright.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
I know this has been discussed before, but are people with untunable cars (like me) waiting for the ECU to be cracked running something like JB4 or RaceChip (Titan) in the mean time? They seem like good options but I don't see much mention of them, just that people are frustrated about the ECU being uncrackable at the moment and waiting for it to happen. Sure, I would prefer a cracked ECU, but if I can get 100hp out of a piggyback it seems alright.
I know plenty of people with N54/N55 cars that have been happily running JB4's for years.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
I am in the same boat. I have a locked 2021 with a catted downpipe. I thought seriously about a JB4 but I have not seen any clean dyno charts showing what to expect in terms of gains from each map. I have seen the charts for the 2020 Z4, which seems the most analogous to a 2021, but I don't know that I would put on a JB4 if the HP gain on pump gas is only 25-30 HP, which is what the charts on their website show for maps 1-2. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I would hope for more than that to make it worthwhile to me.

Last edited:

Jaydee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
ā€˜21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Im currently running an JB4 but having some slight issues here and there.

Its a good alternative as of now.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
I am in the same boat. I have a locked 2021. I thought seriously about a JB4 but I have not seen any clean dyno charts showing what to expect in terms of gains from each map. I have seen the charts for the 2020 Z4, which seems the most analogous to a 2021, but I don't know that I would put on a JB4 if the HP gain on pump gas is only 25-30 HP, which is what the charts on their website show for maps 1-2. I'm happy to be proven wrong but I would hope for more than that to make it worthwhile to me.
I've seen a couple dyno now showing Map 3 numbers with a down pipe. General range is 40-50hp and a bit over 100tq.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I've seen a couple dyno now showing Map 3 numbers with a down pipe. General range is 40-50hp and a bit over 100tq.
Yeah, that's what I thought I was seeing on the dyno charts as well, until I realized it was a 2020 they were using that was showing these dramatic increases. There really don't seem to be any numbers for a 2021 available. If we could expect these kind of gains on top of the additional horsepower we're putting out over the 2020 cars that would be great, but I'd certainly want to verify that before dropping the cash on one of 'em.