A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
200 bucks for a JB4?

Also do you know how much power the unit added?
The JB+ is $200, but the the JB4 w/bluetooth is something like $725 or so

redspencer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue Supra; Track-tuned IS350 w/ OS Giken TCD
That's really all I'm looking for until a true ECU Tune - I would do an ECU Tune along with downpipe, etc.

Many folks are used to the car already from driving it, but the car is very fast out of the box.

I don't drive my car that much, but I want to data log before I put on the JB+ and then datalog after and see if I see any knock or issues.

I am located in the Chicagoland area, so temps are still in the 50-60s, im curious to see what happens in the heat with the JB+. I'm assuming the ECU will just pull timing.

@redspencer How is your JB+ holding up? Any issues?
Still no issues from my end. Boost comes on strong and is readily available when I have the Supra in Sport and Sport+ mode. No abrupt spikes in boost and power delivery is manageable with the throttle pedal as if it were stock. The DME does a great job with adjusting to the added boost from the JB+.

swift.mk5

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Supra Premium
Still no issues from my end. Boost comes on strong and is readily available when I have the Supra in Sport and Sport+ mode. No abrupt spikes in boost and power delivery is manageable with the throttle pedal as if it were stock. The DME does a great job with adjusting to the added boost from the JB+.
What's Sport+ mode?

slobra300

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra Premium
200 bucks for a JB4?

Also do you know how much power the unit added?
I did the JB+. The JB4 is more expensive as it has more features and gives a better power increase. I haven't dyno'd but supposedly the JB+ adds about 30-35 whp. Definitely feels like it...

Jaydee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
‘21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Yes bump, can you expand? How is power delivery? Is it smooth? Choppy? Waste of time while waiting for tunability or totally worth it?
Yeah I can expand on this issue. It DOES get choppy power delievery when WOT. I don't know the exact fix for this. Even with TSC off and sport mode. Other than that its plenty of fast.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Hadn't checked out this thread for a while now.
Hyundai-Kia was a crap cheap ass company, yet some models had incredibly reliable engines, even taxis used them for over 1M KMs in EU. But with the help/push from the government and patriotism they've come a long way. Telluride/Palisade looks great (from the pictures and few feet away from the Auto Show). Stinger looks great and almost all the Genesis models look great inside/out as in looks expensive/well-built (perception-wise). They have bunch of eV models. (don't know how good they're)...

As for ECUs, I've heard the same spiel per autonomous, vehicle-to-vehicle, remote unhackable, etc. reasons along with emission reasons...

For standalone ECUs, even OEM's try to "hack" each others ECU's to learn each others control characteristics, at least get few key inputs. I know they're having difficulty as well. But of course if you have a dedicated, nothing-better-to-do $0.10/hour Chinese workforce trying every combination, every scenario, they can map out the functionality...
So, AEM, etc. Standalone ECUs, they can map out basic functionality or just come up with their own limited, but forget the driving assist, etc...

I've to watch Papadakis 1000hp again. I don't remember what ECU they used.
Or Get 2.0 swap 2JZ like Tada suggested...

DatBassTho

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ram 1500
Hadn't checked out this thread for a while now.
Hyundai-Kia was a crap cheap ass company, yet some models had incredibly reliable engines, even taxis used them for over 1M KMs in EU. But with the help/push from the government and patriotism they've come a long way. Telluride/Palisade looks great (from the pictures and few feet away from the Auto Show). Stinger looks great and almost all the Genesis models look great inside/out as in looks expensive/well-built (perception-wise). They have bunch of eV models. (don't know how good they're)...

As for ECUs, I've heard the same spiel per autonomous, vehicle-to-vehicle, remote unhackable, etc. reasons along with emission reasons...

For standalone ECUs, even OEM's try to "hack" each others ECU's to learn each others control characteristics, at least get few key inputs. I know they're having difficulty as well. But of course if you have a dedicated, nothing-better-to-do $0.10/hour Chinese workforce trying every combination, every scenario, they can map out the functionality...
So, AEM, etc. Standalone ECUs, they can map out basic functionality or just come up with their own limited, but forget the driving assist, etc...

I've to watch Papadakis 1000hp again. I don't remember what ECU they used.
Or Get 2.0 swap 2JZ like Tada suggested...

They do so much more than hack these days. There is all sorts of sniping employees from different suppliers just to learn of a program's weaknesses. I know of a nearby Nissan facility and they do tear downs and 3D scanning. It is wild to walk into this giant well-lit warehouse and see an F150 exploded view and every single part hanging from the ceiling and guys walking around with 3D scanners to review every angle.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
They do so much more than hack these days. There is all sorts of sniping employees from different suppliers just to learn of a program's weaknesses. I know of a nearby Nissan facility and they do tear downs and 3D scanning. It is wild to walk into this giant well-lit warehouse and see an F150 exploded view and every single part hanging from the ceiling and guys walking around with 3D scanners to review every angle.
Yep, that's also nothing new :) There are also outsourcing companies that do many teardowns as well, like A2mac1...
We know for sure Toyota teared the shit out of Cayman down to the tiniest bolt I'm sure :D

OKCbigO MKV

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
6/26/20... Can I get confirmation on this ECU date being able to be tuned? Keep seeing mixed 6/20 or 7/20 posts... Thanks for the help

OKCbigO MKV

First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
It says 10 posts up. ECU DATE 5/20 OR EARLIER. Anything after May will most likely be locked
Dang, well if anyone is interested I have a Nitro Yellow on my lot with April 2020 ECU date... My silver I just got has 6/26/20 :(

Boblay

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra, F82 M4
Someone on FB (Toyota Supra MK5/MKV Owners Club) said that he has a 6/6/20 ECU date and it is Tunable.

Might be an exception rather than the standard
I just checked my ecu and it also has a 6/6/20 date. I wonder if it’s worth looking into, would be dope if I could tune my car