A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Supratuntaco

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20Supra18Tundra>21Tacoma16 Tesla s, 73 coro
New member today.
I've read all the posts in this thread as I'm interested in tuning. I have a 2020 Supra that I purchased last July. Today I checked the tag on the door frame and mine is from June 2019 ! I guess I'm okay. I was surprised to see a date that far back.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
New member today.
I've read all the posts in this thread as I'm interested in tuning. I have a 2020 Supra that I purchased last July. Today I checked the tag on the door frame and mine is from June 2019 ! I guess I'm okay. I was surprised to see a date that far back.
Congrats and welcome to the forum. There is plenty of useful info. here on tuning.

-RJM

Supratuntaco

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20Supra18Tundra>21Tacoma16 Tesla s, 73 coro
I'm interested in tuning but I'm also concerned about voiding warranty. I see a lot on here who have changed so many parts. Not only spending a lot of money but risking warranty. Is that not a big concern ?

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2
I'm interested in tuning but I'm also concerned about voiding warranty. I see a lot on here who have changed so many parts. Not only spending a lot of money but risking warranty. Is that not a big concern ?
It is a concern. Roll of the dice etc. 'Pay to play' is often heard. If you tune and a dealer does not honor your warranty, you will need to address that with them, then Corporate etc. Sure you can debate hiring a lawyer and then wait out the maker who is more than happy to extend the timeline etc, and slow roll you given their vast resources and time handling these cases.

If you tune its better to be upfront with your dealer, and before doing anything, get a good relationship going with them and assess how they handle 'tuned' and or modified cars. So much can be alleviated up front with good communication with your dealer. Also one can probaby find a more 'tuner' friendly dealer reading here as well. Just tune and mod with eyes wide open and cash/checkbook ready for the worst case scenario.

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
So, to refresh on this, as of right now, post 6/20 ECUs (not just for the A90 but any car using the Bosch MG1 ECU, including G8x, G20, etc.) cannot be unlocked but they can be flashed by a Russia-based tuner, Femto? And any other tuner offering a "solution" is likely working with Femto to put their tune on the ECU on a kind of one-time basis? Do I have that right?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
So, to refresh on this, as of right now, post 6/20 ECUs (not just for the A90 but any car using the Bosch MG1 ECU, including G8x, G20, etc.) cannot be unlocked but they can be flashed by a Russia-based tuner, Femto? And any other tuner offering a "solution" is likely working with Femto to put their tune on the ECU on a kind of one-time basis? Do I have that right?
You got it, dude.

_Sp1ral0ut

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tahoe, Razor E100
I believe once it's unlocked they can reflash as many times as they want to. Here is a reply from RKTunes on IG:
1634141604210.png

Attachments

Involus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Premium Turbulence Grey
From talking with Femto, it’s an OBD unlock but it only works with their proprietary tuning solution. DME must be sent to them for bench unlock still.

HenryA91

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Refraction Blue A91
so with a 6/6 date there is a chance I could be tuneable? is there a way to check the cal without going to a tuner?

cvondra

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2021 BMW X6 M50i
Any new information on '21 ODB good or bad? I know the current status don't need that repeated just looking for any new info. Visconti had mentioned to hang on news would come over the next several weeks, that was several weeks ago so just looking for update to that.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Any new information on '21 ODB good or bad? I know the current status don't need that repeated just looking for any new info. Visconti had mentioned to hang on news would come over the next several weeks, that was several weeks ago so just looking for update to that.
Still holding on to my ass here. Nothing new that I've heard. I got the same story with RKTunes. They can ODB flash, but not Ecutek