A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
Theres probably a lot of people on here that bought a supra thinking it will turn out to be an "investment" opportunity as if current mass produced cars dont depreciate. those mark iv resale values were probably used to convince a lot of spouses to allow this car in their garages haha
Personally, I have always wanted to simply own a Supra since I was a child. I love how this car drives and it captivates me every time I take it out for a spin. As far as buying simply for resale and investment, I donā€™t understand why. Purchase property, silver, stocks, gold, or whatever, those generally tend to better over time. But who is to say the a90 Supra will not be a classic one day?

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
But what does that have to do with this thread, the point was if you wanted to tune a car a 2020 is the way to go right now and I think many of the Supra owners want to modify the car. Nothing to do with resale value etc
I was saying that a stock car is worth more thats all. Wasnā€™t even referring to the 2020 vs 2021.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Question here.

I got my 2021 the beginning of August, so it was at latest produced in May. Does this mean my ECU is still able to be unlocked as long as the dealership didn't update anything when I brought it in for an oil change?

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
** EMERGENCY POST **

We were asked not to talk about it, but itā€™ll end up going public soon anyways.

Upon earlier this week, we received our first A91 (that i know of in the world) to be tuned. Sending his ECU in to us to be unlocked, we came across some information thats never been seen before.

Bosch has changed the security systems on MG1 ECUā€™s. This means there is currently absolutely no way to tune the car. No bench flash. Nothing.

Weā€™re currently working on getting one open to try and find a resolution around all of this. ALL A91ā€™s are this way and possibly any other 2021 that left the docks around the same time frame as they did.

Weā€™ll post more information about this when we know more and are given permission to do so.

Thanks

- Marshall at Visconti Tuning
C8 life.....

Twisted Tuning

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
7/2020 and on have the new processor and security. Just look at the build dates on your door jamb, and that will tell you.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Does this apply to bimmercode?

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Any way to know whether or not my 2021 ecu can be unlocked or is the only way to send it to @Marshall@ViscontiTuning ? Iā€™m not quite ready to tune but def would like to know moving forward
Some people claim a specific build date. Before making any large purchase, id certainly check the Cal ID first. This can be done with any ecutek module. No need to send in the ECU to check.

Supra Werty

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra
I picked my 2021 up in mid July and I'm tuned. Honestly that would've been really annoying to find out if I couldn't tune it.

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Yeah, that's another good question, if you have a tune and take it in for service will they do a software update that kills your tune?
Yes. If the dealer flashes the car with an update. Itll lock the ECU. Are they able to change the security system on it to where it can no be unlocked via bench flash like some current 20/21 models? Im unsure yet, but im sure John would know.

OP
OP
ViscontiSupport

ViscontiSupport

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Is this only affected on ECUs for A91 Supras or is this also applicable to A90 Supras that have been flashed by dealers (IE, recalls, updates, etc.)?
I havent confirmed if theyre able to change the security on them via just flash not. But if your early 2020 was locked and you've recently taken it in for an update, it will be locked, but can be unlocked via bench flash, just like late 2020/early 21 models.