A91 & Recent 2021 Impossible to Tune / ECU manufactured after 2020/6 is locked? [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
Can't always do that. Let's say you break down on the side of the road and your car gets towed to the dealer, what are you going to say? Swing by my house so I can take the aftermarket downpipe off, put on the OEM one, reflash it, and then take it to the dealer?
And on top of that, most modern ECU's record everything so if they look deep enough they'll see it.
Are you for real ? Why would you have it towed to the dealer before removing your mods? Simply have it towed to your house or your Indy shop . You and ultimate really like to spew out the dumbest negative stuff(I notice you guys pal around on this forum and like to butt buddy support each others random useless comments). And when you have ecutek you can return the ecu to 100 stock and wipe it clean . As you can clearly see from the screen shot below its simply a couple clicks of the button to return the ecu to stock . So congrats on making the most worthless argument . Yea I break down so im going to tow my car right to the dealer so they can void all my warranties . Absolutely stupid to even suggest that. If you're that dumb you deserve to have all your warranties voided. So to be devils advocate even say theres no history on the ecu all you do is say I don't know. Thats their problem not yours to prove . Personally I only keep cars for 1- 1.5 years and have never had a issue trading in a car I tuned modded and then returned to stock.(about 10 different cars now ive tuned and returned to stock before trade in or major warranty work) Even my most recent Maserati I re flashed before I took it to the dealer for warranty work and they didn't say 1 damn thing to me . I even asked the service manager if I needed to remove my QTP cut outs before bringing it in . He told me to Just return the ecu to stock as they'd be updating it anyway and remove any mods that might deal with function . The cutouts they didn't care I just kept them closed ,and didn't put the wireless remote on the fob. While it was there the whole strut towers were reinforced and replaced all under warranty no issues what so ever. Not being a BOOB goes a long way in interactions with service managers or just in general. I have done this on everything from a Audi R8 to a Hummer H2 back in the day never had any issues . Both my Maserati and r8 had close to 10k of warranty work on each . Cost me 1k or less to return 100% to stock each time between exhaust removal,afetrmarket suspension removal and re install of stock equipment .
IMG_4330.jpg

Last edited:

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Are you for real ? Why would you have it towed to the dealer before removing your mods? Simply have it towed to your house or your Indy shop . You and ultimate really like to spew out the dumbest negative stuff(I notice you guys pal around on this forum and like to butt buddy support each others random useless comments). And when you have ecutek you can return the ecu to 100 stock and wipe it clean . As you can clearly see from the screen shot below its simply a couple clicks of the button to return the ecu to stock . So congrats on making the most worthless argument . Yea I break down so im going to tow my car right to the dealer so they can void all my warranties . Absolutely stupid to even suggest that. If you're that dumb you deserve to have all your warranties voided. So to be devils advocate even say theres no history on the ecu all you do is say I don't know. Thats their problem not yours to prove . Personally I only keep cars for 1- 1.5 years and have never had a issue trading in a car I tuned modded and then returned to stock.(about 10 different cars now ive tuned and returned to stock before trade in or major warranty work) Even my most recent Maserati I re flashed before I took it to the dealer for warranty work and they didn't say 1 damn thing to me . I even asked the service manager if I needed to remove my QTP cut outs before bringing it in . He told me to Just return the ecu to stock as they'd be updating it anyway and remove any mods that might deal with function . The cutouts they didn't care I just kept them closed ,and didn't put the wireless remote on the fob. While it was there the whole strut towers were reinforced and replaced all under warranty no issues what so ever. Not being a BOOB goes a long way in interactions with service managers or just in general. I have done this on everything from a Audi R8 to a Hummer H2 back in the day never had any issues . Both my Maserati and r8 had close to 10k of warranty work on each . Cost me 1k or less to return 100% to stock each time between exhaust removal,afetrmarket suspension removal and re install of stock equipment .
IMG_4330.jpg
Calm down pumpkin. Those dealers were just happy to save their cars from the horrible wheels you put on :rofl:

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like you keep getting hurt not everyone on the forums thinks exactly like you do yourself. You have the ability to return the ECU to "fully stock" and take off all your mods but a lot of people (like myself) don't have that luxury and it makes us thing a little bit more about this stuff. Im very new to this so don't fully understand everything but I imagine if I have a tune and it fucks my car up, flash it and bring it to dealership the dealership is going to see there is no vehicle history on it and ask why

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
Seems like you keep getting hurt not everyone on the forums thinks exactly like you do yourself. You have the ability to return the ECU to "fully stock" and take off all your mods but a lot of people (like myself) don't have that luxury and it makes us thing a little bit more about this stuff. Im very new to this so don't fully understand everything but I imagine if I have a tune and it fucks my car up, flash it and bring it to dealership the dealership is going to see there is no vehicle history on it and ask why
Exactly. There are ways around it, but you don't always get an opportunity to do that. The 2021 around July got different ECU's that haven't, or just starting to, get unlocked. They might record data in a way that can't be wiped by the tuning program. Some ECU's record key strokes, and if you bring a car to service with very little, they'll know why. Because a flash resets it to 0. Not only that, they'll look for tool marks on downpipe bolts, etc. They aren't stupid.

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
I’m not hurt it’s simply a point of the same people responding with dumb comments . Doesn’t bother me I simply address it as I stated in the other thread and move on. They are the ones who block their profiles haha . But in reference to no history on the ecu you simply say I don’t know . They will not care if you have a car that has been returned to stock . It’s not like you are trying to sue them for lemon law you’re just getting warranty work .

Last edited:

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
Exactly. There are ways around it, but you don't always get an opportunity to do that. The 2021 around July got different ECU's that haven't, or just starting to, get unlocked. They might record data in a way that can't be wiped by the tuning program. Some ECU's record key strokes, and if you bring a car to service with very little, they'll know why. Because a flash resets it to 0. Not only that, they'll look for tool marks on downpipe bolts, etc. They aren't stupid.
Exactly why being BOOB and developing a real life good relationship with the service mangers goes a long way . But still they would have to prove it and they can’t because the ecu will be back to stock. Also marks on the down pipe bolts ? Come one you’re reaching with that one . You’re allowed to have your car worked on . As long as the stock parts are installed correctly when it goes back to the dealer they will not void your warranty . I literally went to the Toyota service department and talked to them directly while my car was getting detailed before I drove it home and they told me the same thing . IF YOU HAVE A ISSUE RETURN IT STOCK FIRST then bring it in .

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
My current Flash counter reads 23 after Ecutek and many tunes. it was 0 when I first got the car

How will you go around that?

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
My current Flash counter reads 23 after Ecutek and many tunes. it was 0 when I first got the car

How will you go around that?
Ecutek system does insert a flash counter in its embedded license info but this is ecutek flash counter not a manufacturer flash counter. To further the question most dealerships won't check for that or don't have skills/knowledge in most cases how to check flash counter. And also it is possible to turn your flash count back to 0

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
Ecutek system does insert a flash counter in its embedded license info but this is ecutek flash counter not a manufacturer flash counter. To further the question most dealerships won't check for that or don't have skills/knowledge in most cases how to check flash counter. And also it is possible to turn your flash count back to 0
If you bring a brand new car to the dealer for expensive engine/powertrain warranty work, particularly an enthusiast car like this, you better believe they do have the knowledge and will use it to check to see if the car has been modified. Assuming they’re too dumb is a mistake. This has been going on for a long time and they’ve grown tired of paying for our mods. Been dealing with this on the VW/Audi front with the dreaded ‘TD1’ for almost a decade now.

There’s a lot more for them to check for beyond the flash counter. These cars have torque limits that are removed when the car is tuned and those values have to be logged even if they aren’t maintained for the long term. Flashing back to stock is not a guarantee of a free pass for a piston through the hood because you tuned it.

Having said all of that, if you’re fine with rolling the dice and can afford to pay for repairs that may be a direct result of tuning the car, then tune it and be happy. If you’re not comfortable with the risks involved, then don’t tune it and be happy.

Moral of the story is you pay to play and if you tune, more than likely you will be just fine but flashing back to stock is not your free pass.

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
If you bring a brand new car to the dealer for expensive engine/powertrain warranty work, particularly an enthusiast car like this, you better believe they do have the knowledge and will use it to check to see if the car has been modified. Assuming they’re too dumb is a mistake. This has been going on for a long time and they’ve grown tired of paying for our mods. Been dealing with this on the VW/Audi front with the dreaded ‘TD1’ for almost a decade now.

There’s a lot more for them to check for beyond the flash counter. These cars have torque limits that are removed when the car is tuned and those values have to be logged even if they aren’t maintained for the long term. Flashing back to stock is not a guarantee of a free pass for a piston through the hood because you tuned it.

Having said all of that, if you’re fine with rolling the dice and can afford to pay for repairs that may be a direct result of tuning the car, then tune it and be happy. If you’re not comfortable with the risks involved, then don’t tune it and be happy.

Moral of the story is you pay to play and if you tune, more than likely you will be just fine but flashing back to stock is not your free pass.
I took a R8 into Audi that had been reflashed to stock after a tune and got 10k worth of warranty work on the trans done so who knows . They didn’t mention any issues to me and did my repairs under warranty and sent me on the way . I’d say you’re correct though if you can’t afford any the possible issues that could arise I wouldn’t even worry about a tune or modding until out of warranty

Supbrah

First Name
DB
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Downshift Blue Supra
I took a R8 into Audi that had been reflashed to stock after a tune and got 10k worth of warranty work on the trans done so who knows . They didn’t mention any issues to me and did my repairs under warranty and sent me on the way . I’d say you’re correct though if you can’t afford any the possible issues that could arise I wouldn’t even worry about a tune or modding until out of warranty
Your experience with the R8 is exactly why your last sentence rings true. Had several guys on the Audizine forum when I had my B8.5 S4 get flagged for mods, they thought they were fine but they were not despite being flashed back to stock. They had to eat the cost of repairs and lost their power train warranty, there wasn’t enough cream in the world to heal those peppered angus’.

The variability of who’s gonna deep scan the car, or who won’t, what service manager is cool and which one isn’t is why you don’t tune if you are worried and can’t afford it.

I’ll say the same thing I said over in your wheel thread. Do you and enjoy your car!

Sauceii

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A90 Pemium
Your experience with the R8 is exactly why your last sentence rings true. Had several guys on the Audizine forum when I had my B8.5 S4 get flagged for mods, they thought they were fine but they were not despite being flashed back to stock. They had to eat the cost of repairs and lost their power train warranty, there wasn’t enough cream in the world to heal those peppered angus’.

The variability of who’s gonna deep scan the car, or who won’t, what service manager is cool and which one isn’t is why you don’t tune if you are worried and can’t afford it.

I’ll say the same thing I said over in your wheel thread. Do you and enjoy your car!
Ain’t that the truth , yea most my service managers and I have great relationships and I believe it also deals with would they rather eat warranty cost then lose a good customer . But for sure they never raised any issue with this being flashed back to stock after a tune . Possibly could of changed in the last years though . As you said modding and tuning is a pay to play hobby . And if you’ve been doing it for a long time you know you need some money saved back for issues that could arise. These supras seem to be holding up super well though from what I’ve seen . I’ve been really impressed with what they’ve been able to do in the first couple years
0BDBACF9-2207-407E-BFB1-3323D0A8EEE4.jpeg
68C1C4F0-8E97-40AC-8BF7-4D957ACA2540.jpeg
2E7B4F7F-8751-45A0-90F7-AE5B1D73F840.jpeg

MCSeverino

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited

This, plus you better believe they lurk on the forums and social media.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Yeah, don’t put your Instagram handle as a sticker on your car and take it to the dealership. They WILL look it up and use anything they can to deny your warranty claim. People would post track day clips on YouTube and dealers would use that to deny warranty work.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, don’t put your Instagram handle as a sticker on your car and take it to the dealership. They WILL look it up and use anything they can to deny your warranty claim. People would post track day clips on YouTube and dealers would use that to deny warranty work.
As you say posting track day clips on youtube as being a reason dealers have denied warranty work, I wonder if any would for the Supra since you get the membership some car club thing and a single day at the track i think.