Akio Toyoda is asleep at the wheel!

Discussion in 'General Automotive & Other Vehicle Talk' started by Redman, May 22, 2019.

?

Do you agree or disagree?

Poll closed Jun 5, 2019.
  1. Yes I agree

8.7%
  2. No I don't

95.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Redman

Redman New Member

First Name:
    Thomas
    Car(s):
    No
    Liked:
    What is going on at Toyota these days? Pickup Trucks, SUV's and Crossovers are Hotter than ever, yet Toyota decided to redesign it's entire car lineup even teaming up with BMW for the new Supra (I'm glad the Supra's back but Toyota should have built it itself) All while leaving there pickup trucks and suv"s ancient the Tundra, Tacoma, 4Runner, Sequoia and Land Cruiser are all under powered and out of date!

2. Goose

Goose Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Michael
    Car(s):
    2013 FRS
    Liked:
    Would you rather have no Supra? Because that's how you get no Supra.

3. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    5G 4Runner, Mk7 Golf, AZW Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I mean they all sell just fine. The 4Runner literally sells because it’s old-school.

F1 Silver Arrows and A70TTR like this.
  4. madweazl

madweazl Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Car(s):
    '15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Supra is the only vehicle I've ever cared about from Toyota and with that, only the fourth and fifth gen. We had a Celica about 15 years ago that my wife drove for about year. I had a rental Tacoma last month that I didnt like at all; I dont think there was a single flat surface on the drivers side floor pan of the truck and it had zero bottom end power. Japanese vehicles have all taken a weird turn if you ask me; Nissan's entire line-up is ugly as sin.

5. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Engineer
    Toyota_Sales.png

Tacoma as is seems to be doing comparably good vs competition.
    Tundra is a different story..

Basically, Toyota has better insight to their sales figures and hopefully putting the money where needed. It's a known fact that Truck and SUV segment is booming (maybe not so much this year), but a sports car is a gamble and definitely not a high volume item.
    Annually, how many Supra's do you think they've forecasted vs the R&D/tooling/etc. cost? It's more of a brand image I'd think and the push of Tada-san, etc.. Surely they're also paying BMW as well on this car....So, I can't imagine the profit margins being high..

6. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
    I was the one who voted for yes! My basis is from growing up in the an era when Toyota was at it's pinnacle. Toyota made a lot of fun, bulletproof vehicles, design all mixed in with fun and strong marketing.

Akio took over in 2009 so that's when his progress started. He essentially resurrected 2 ol skool Toyota's by having 2 other car manufacturers build them.

7. Australian of The North

Australian of The North Well-Known Member

First Name:
    ██████[Removed]
    Car(s):
    [Content Restricted],█████,|[Content Restricted]█████
    Liked:
    ██████[Content Restricted]
    Problem is, the idea that Toyota couldn't have it themselves is just not true. Its just a bs sales pitch Toyota is using to convince everyone that cheaping out in partnership with BMW is acceptable. Sure we all bought that for awhile, but we know better now, even if we wont admit it. WHy - simple - Porsche, NIssan, Mazda, Hyundai, Chevrolet, Ford and more, including all the super car manufacturers have done it themselves, even BMW did it themselves with the M ... but Toyota cant make one little sports car on their own? - its nonsense in hindsight. If toyota is so bad that it needs to partner with someone to make just one sports car, things are very very bad in that organisation.

The idea that Toyota HAD to partner with BMW to build the new supra is pure fantasy. Just the same as with the I6 engine excuses. THis idea that toyota couldn't make its own i6 and needs years and new factory's to do it .... again, a ton of other manufacturers make their own engines that DONT hve that problem .. an example? oh how about MAZDA who just announced their OWN new i6.

Please, enough with the Excuses already toyota... enough.

SupraFiend likes this.
  8. XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2013 GT86, 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Engineer
    #8 May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 24, 2019
    whaaaatttt
    Porsche is strictly a luxury sports car segment (sure sedan and SUVs now) and are in luck if they want parts from VW group.

Nissan, ? they did what? Ages ago when they were doing good and emissions were not as strict came up with 350/370Z and GTR. Now no 390Z or actual GTR updates. some fancy 50 year thingy that costs $1.2M.

Hyundia/Kia/Genesis are trying their best to enter these markets, but I don't think they're succeeding even at the much lower prices they're offering...

Chevy, Chrysler and Ford have long time American heritage with Camaro and Corvette, Charger/Challenger and Mustang. Within themselves, they share much of the engine and bunch of other parts...They have a base model that's their bread and butter that appeal to masses (not enthusiast category) and high end models that sell less.

Similarly, BMW for ages had for example 3 series and built M3 on top of it. Sure they put lots of R&D into M, but basics were there and M wasn't an afterthought or anything.So all that R&D was done from get-go with an M version in mind. Also, BMW is luxury segment.

Mazda, kudos to Mazda they're lean and efficient and the I6 announcement, but again they don't have a sports car. MX5/Miata is sharing platform with Fiat 124... No new Rotary engine. Most definitely they're making the I6 a multi-platform engine, so it'll be shared.

So, I think your argument is quite flawed...

RyanGT3RS, bogglo and Bryster like this.
  9. madweazl

madweazl Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Aaron
    Car(s):
    '15 Mustang GT & '13 Ram 1500 Longhorn
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Sure, they can all produce anything but it has to be at a reasonable price, in a reasonable time frame, and a reasonable profit margin. Many manufacturers are going through huge changes right now; Ford is dropping ALL of their passenger cars with the exception of Mustang and a Focus. Toyota will follow a similar model and without the partnerships that brought the FR-S/86 and Supra, they just wouldnt have happened as the financial risk wasn't worth the investment.This is going to become more and more widespread by all the manufacturers as most of them are already working together on multiple platforms. This isn't to say an in house vehicle isn't possible, it just isn't feasible for a small sector of the market (and lets face it, the Supra caters to a microscopic market).

bogglo, vb22 and XtremeMaC like this.
  10. Rotaryrunner

Rotaryrunner Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mazda RX 8
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Despite the world market seems to like SUVs trucks and stuff I absolutely hate those useless dumbass vehicles that are heavy, slow and unable to go over a curb stone without breaking.
    /quit ragemode.

Half Vast and XtremeMaC like this.
  11. jm6k

jm6k Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    4C
    Liked:
    I love multiple choice polls.

XtremeMaC, Supra93 and Guff like this.
  12. SupraFiend

SupraFiend Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5 Supras currently
    Liked:
    You missed the part where he actually resurrected 2 old school Toyotas. Akio is not the problem, it's his leadership that has been pushing Toyota back into the sports car game and making the entire lineup sportier (have you seen the new Camry? When has anyone talked about a new Camry before??). I agree that partnering with BMW for the Supra was a mistake, there were several better avenues to get this car made. But if you're going to point fingers about where Toyota has taken their business in the last 2o years, point them at the greedy bastards that ran Toyota for the decade prior to Akio taking power. They are the ones that killed off every single sports car Toyota made when they didn't sell "good enough" and replaced them with a big fat nothing, and produced some of the most boring generations of Toyotas ever.

Jabba, Bryster and XtremeMaC like this.
  13. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Kirk
    Car(s):
    ?
    Liked:
  14. Guff

Guff Moderator

Car(s):
    FR-S, BRZ, Supra, Mini Cooper
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Toyota's annual revenue has gone up ~64 Billion USD in the time that Akio Toyoda has been at the helm.

I'd say he's probably doing just fine.

15. Nurburgring

Nurburgring Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
    Liked:
    Keyboard CEO`s, just what the world needs.