Alignment on stock suspension question

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
After a bit of searching, I was able to find that a stock suspension could yield around -1.9 of camber. Is that data accurate?
Is it possible to get a bit more camber without camber plates?

thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
That opens up a whole can of worms and you will have a thousand different opinions.

My very objective and focused question to the group is - what is the maximum amount of Camber I can get without changing suspension components.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
My understanding is that the camber isn't adjustable at all. You get what you get, and it's probably somewhere around -1.5 to -2 deg. When I got my car aligned, I actually had about a half a degree difference in the camber between the front left and right. There was nothing they could do about it, they just had to leave it like that since I don't have camber plates so it's not adjustable in either direction.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
That opens up a whole can of worms and you will have a thousand different opinions.

My very objective and focused question to the group is - what is the maximum amount of Camber I can get without changing suspension components.
You're right! I'm sorry - I've deleted my post.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
As already mentioned, front camber is not adjustable. You will need camber plates, drop springs or coilovers if you want more negative camber in the front.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
As already mentioned, front camber is not adjustable. You will need camber plates, drop springs or coilovers if you want more negative camber in the front.
I've seen this stated several times. However, I recently had an alignment done and the tech was able to get additional negative camber for me in the front. I had my own specs as I wanted a somewhat aggressive set up for AX. The tech first indicated there was no front adjustment but after we talked and he understood what I was trying to accomplish, he was able to get -2.1 front left and -2.0 front right. They were something like -1.5 to-1.7 from the factory. His initial statement was something along the lines of the information he had information showed no front adjustments and he didn't see where it was possible but apparently he found a way.

OP
OP

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
I've seen this stated several times. However, I recently had an alignment done and the tech was able to get additional negative camber for me in the front. I had my own specs as I wanted a somewhat aggressive set up for AX. The tech first indicated there was no front adjustment but after we talked and he understood what I was trying to accomplish, he was able to get -2.1 front left and -2.0 front right. They were something like -1.5 to-1.7 from the factory. His initial statement was something along the lines of the information he had information showed no front adjustments and he didn't see where it was possible but apparently he found a way.
Any idea what he did to gain a bit more camber?

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
I guess I'd have to ask if you have drop springs and what your before adjustment camber was front and rear. They should have given you a print out with all the before and after information.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
I guess I'd have to ask if you have drop springs and what your before adjustment camber was front and rear. They should have given you a print out with all the before and after information.
No drop springs. Everything is stock for AX A Street. I saw the before and after print out but didn't take it with me. I was more concerned with the after settings so I remember those clearly (-2.1 left front and -2.0 right front). Rears were both -2.0. The before settings were all in the 1.5 to 1.7 range I just cant recall the front/rear or left right details. And no idea what he actually did.

OP
OP

Lordhowe

First Name
HG
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Yaris
To close the loop here, I ended up going with Vorshlag's camber plates and the following is what I got on otherwise complete stock setup:

Front: -2.5 degrees of camber, 7.2 degrees of caster, 0 tow-in.
rear: -2 degress of camber, 1/8th total tow-in

Car feels much better on corners.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Adding to what was stated already, front camber can be adjusted by infinitesimally by adjusting toe. very very tiny amount but it also change toe as well since each setting effects the other. typical camber in front is 1.8 if toe is 0.

WPGSUPRA

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
When I did my auto x setup I put it on the drive on hoist did my initial check and had -1.6 LF and -1.7 Rf Camber I then loosened all the suspension bolts (on a drive on hoist with the car sitting at ride height) bounced it a couple of times torqued everything and re did the alignment and ended just over -2 up front. Sometimes when the assemble the cars the bushings are installed not at ride height which introduces some bind in the suspension.

move always done my performance alignments this way as then I know there shouldn’t be any differences side to side due to the bushings and everything should bepre loaded the same
Sponsored