All-New 2016 Lexus GS F has a 467HP 5.0-liter V8

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
IMO, this is more of a 550i competitor, rather than a M5 fighter. They should have called it the GS500 F Sport and wait to for the V8 turbo for a true GS-F.

New-2016-Lexus-GS-F-355.jpg

Click here to view more photos

This is what Lexus has come up with to compete with the BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG, Jaguar XFR-S and Cadillac's new CTS-V: the new GS F.

However, Lexus' decision to give the high-performance version of the GS saloon the same naturally-aspirated 5.0-liter V8 as the RC F makes you wonder if they actually mean business, as the Japanese model is seriously underpowered compared to its chief rivals.

At least it is on paper where the eight-cylinder unit is rated at 467hp (473PS) at 7,100 rpm and peak torque of 389 lb.-ft. (527Nm) at 4,800-5,600rpm. That's a far cry from the BMW M5's 552hp (560PS), the Mercedes E63's 550hp (557PS), let alone the Cadillac CTS-V's almighty supercharged V8 with 640hp and 630 lb-ft (855 Nm).

Acceleration figures have yet to be announced.

The GS F's V8 is hooked up to an eight-speed automatic gearbox with manual-shifting capabilities driving the rear wheels through the same Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD) found in the RC F,with three operating modes named Standard, Slalom and Track.

Lexus says the GS F also benefits from structural reinforcements and suspension upgrades "designed to optimize this super sedan’s handling envelope without detracting from its ride quality".

At 1,830kg or 4,034 lb, the GS F is 115kg (253 pounds) lighter than the M5 and 195kg (430 pounds) lighter than the E63 AMG 4MATIC.

It's a pity that the GS F doesn't have the oomph under its hood because Lexus did a nice job with the exterior – better than Cadillac, if you ask me, even though some may find the huge chrome grille at the front on the excessive side.

It has a mildly aggressive kit with reworked bumpers on both ends, a rear diffuser with quad exhausts, flared wheel arches, side skirts, a carbon fiber boot lid spoiler, plus 19-inch rims shod in 255/35 front and 275/35 rear tires.

The interior is dressed in two-tone leather and Alcantara surfaces with body-hugging front sport seats, carbon trims, a sports steering wheel and added kit.

We'll learn more about the new GS F at the Detroit Motor Show next week.
Untitled-2.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2015/01/all-new-2016-lexus-gs-f-has-467hp-50.html
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
A70.. what’s the long term plan for the GS and the IS?

CSUfiend

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
lexgsf.jpg

This is a sad ending to a car that was once at the top of its class with the S160 when it debuted back in ‘97. And it competed with the (now legendary in the eyes of some) e39, so it wasn’t like the S160 was competing with some random chumps out there.

I felt that Lexus just stopped giving a F about the GS.. and then the rest of its lineup eventually. Everything we have heard with regards to rumors seems to point Lexus in a good direction again (Thank you to our resident Insider:)) but I felt the GS and IS were just never given the updates needed to keep up with its class. I am a fan of Lexus., and it pains me to say that Lexus is now (actually, for years now) where Acura was back in the late 90’s and early 2000’s... dead.

I miss the days when Lexus actually cared about making a car that would not only be class competitive, but in some aspects, class leading.Where should I start with this story?:(

I used to laugh when I saw Buick ads targeting Lexus.. Look, I get that both cars focus on a soft and quiet ride, but to me, its almost as crazy as this commercial, as well as this one. I thought to myself that Buick didn’t have a GS, an IS, and an LS, so how was it even competing with Lexus? Turns out, the joke was on me because Lexus focused on the ES and left out the GS (and sadly, eventually, it will be the IS) out to die :(so Lexus IS chasing nobody else except Buick clients afterall:cry:

Back to the GS though... This will always be known as the car that Jay-Z uses. In fact, as a 90’s kid, that’s what I will remember the GS for

Warning: Explicit Lyrics in the video

1998gs400.jpg

The peak of excitement came with the s160. The fastest production sedan in the world back when it came out.

I am going to quote the guy in the video when he says
Going through the Motortrend slalom almost as quick as a new Corvette
Just imagine in 2020.. just imagine for one moment if that could ever be said. You would flip out if you heard something like that! But thats what was said about the s160 back in 1997. The car in reference was the new LS1 powered C5 Corvette, perhaps the first truly all around and world class Corvette. Yes, you heard that right. Not only was the Su[ra being compared to the Corvette (for obvious reasons), but for someone to even reference a GS to a Corvette would be mind numbing for someone living in 2020! Maybe if Toyota had poured money into the GS, the same references could be made. Nonetheless, this car rattled a few people and made them question their manhood. In fact, certain German companies were shook up and went apes:rant: and came out with these high powered cars (AMG's) afterward.

This car didn’t have to die if given the proper updates. I feel like as long as the powertrains and hardware was updated as often as it’s competitors were, it wouldn’t have died and would’ve still been class competitive. Because Lexus choose to focus on the ES and pour it’s money into it, the GS had a slow and painful death. Hyundai (Genesis) saw this and immediately went to work on trying to take these people that Lexus had left behind to focus on the Buick clientele. In fact, I see the competitive spirit that Lexus had from 1990-2008ish when I look at them. Will probably not get one anytime soon, but back to the GS..

In its last days, the GS was long in the tooth. All models were no longer class competitive. The arrival of the GS-F was too little too late. For a car that borrowed its engine from a nearly decade old design, it had no business being as expensive as it was. It has some cool stuff such as torque vectoring differential, but the price was just too high. So the GS-F was 75-100HP short of competitiveness (or $25k too expensive for what it was offering, however you chose to look at it).

I don't know whats happening to Lexus. In this SUV crazy world, they don't necessarily have a full lineup of competitive SUV's.:hmm: They don't care about sedans either. The brand Lexus is pretty much the ES and RX, with a couple of small SUV spinoffs, and an LS sedan to go with a (rare as a unicorn coupe called the) LC. Everything else not mentioned is either severely outdated, completely irrelevant, and/or on its death bed. Back to our fallen brother, the GS...

AMC-Eagle.jpg

The 2020 Lexus GS reminds me of an AMC Eagle by the late 1980's. It was a relic, and so out of the loop that its competition was at least 2 generations ahead of it. It was almost a joke. But it didn't have to be that way. For one, Toyota Motor Corporation had deeper pockets than the old American Motor Company could ever dream of, to say the least. I could go on and on, but it will just make me more sad:cry:. As the Lexus GS dies off, we look at its little brother, the IS, which is currently residing on its death bed right next to the GS.

R.I.P. Lexus GS
1991 - 2020

Last edited:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Typical Toyota move.

1 Release a niche product.
2 Hardly gives it any real updates like their competitors.
3 Sales fall.
4 Toyota blames product / segment.
5 Discontinues

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
When I took my Supra to the dealership for its first oil change (at my cost) they didn't have a loaner.

I said "there is crappy grey Supra over there I could take" the boss over heard me, (his car & the only other Supra in town), he laughed & said take my Lexus, its out side, I'll get the key :)

Its the most expensive (when new) car I've driven, cool as, took me ages trying to find the E brake, decided it might not have one, so I drove off :D

IMG_5053_zpsqwnfy4s2.jpg

Very very nice car, made all the right sounds, but slow as compared to my Supra & probably even my GTO ;)

I thought the back end looked like a Subaru..... probably not something to mention to the owner :p

Captain_Kirk

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
?
The GSF was a major sales flop for Lexus. Why would anyone pay $85k for one when you can get a faster and more powerful M550i xDRIVE for $9k less. :crazy:
Sponsored