All Season Tires

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I’m hoping I can leverage the wisdom of the crowd and your collective experience.

Questions:

of those of you with experience, what is your experience running all season (not winter or snow, but all season)tires?

How much dry traction do you give up to a summer only tire on a day that’s within the performance specifications of a summer only tire? Maybe in reference to the stock tires.

Can a wider A/S tire offset Some or all of the loss of lateral traction that results from going from a summer only tire to an A/S tire?

Do you have other comments about moving to an A/S?

there is some good info on specific tires here (thanks to those that have posted), I was interested in a more general conversation.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.
Sponsored

Spiguyver

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition Refraction Blue
I am using the Michelin AS 3+ and they have performed very reliably and even on the track have done well. I did go up one size both front and back, so 265/285 respectively. I have been considering buying a second set of wheels and tires for summer only, but these are performing well. Are they Cup 2's, no, but they perform respectably in almost all conditions (nothing performs well on ice!).

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am using the Michelin AS 3+ and they have performed very reliably and even on the track have done well. I did go up one size both front and back, so 265/285 respectively. I have been considering buying a second set of wheels and tires for summer only, but these are performing well. Are they Cup 2's, no, but they perform respectably in almost all conditions (nothing performs well on ice!).
Excellent input. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You know, that could be a video topic…

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I used to run Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 370Z, seemed perfectly fine for spirited road driving, never did track so can't comment there. I got them specifically due to the amount of cold weather and rain we get in PNW. Never did get to see how long they would actually last, but it was definitely trending toward a lot longer than my previous summer Michelin tires.

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
I have been using the Continental DWS06 UHP All-Season tires and they work wonderfully.

I went with 10mm wider front (265/35) and rear (285/35) and have more traction than the stock PS4S tires that came with the car.

Also the tires are lighter than the PS4S tires. So there is less rotational mass, I've gotten better fuel economy with the DWS06 tires.

Different tires will handle differently, so you may or may not like the handling characteristics of the Continentals and may prefer Goodyear's or Michelin's.

Every all season tire will make compromises in different areas than other ones. Ultimately, you just have to figure out what you value most and choose the brand that best meets that mark.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Can confirm (minus the tracking part). I did same sizes and have felt great on them in heavy rain but havent launched on them yet. Felt great. If you go with the A/S 3+ just make sure to confirm dates the tire was made. I think michelin has moved to the A/S 4+ already and i think mine had been sitting at tirerack for a year or two in their warehouse (no concern since they are rated for 10 years if just sitting)

For the couple times i do a track day i have been using the OEM wheels but am selling those now and will be getting a different set of track wheels when im able to start actually going to the track more next summer.

lla91mk5ll

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
toyota supra
Do they have a winter tire option that fits the stock rims wouldn’t that be a better route then a/s since the car already came with summers

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Part of me wants to get 19” wheels large enough to run 295s or 305s in the back, but I can’t find wheels I like at a price I’m willing to pay.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
You can fit a 295 on the stock 10" rim unless you're referring to something else

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You can fit a 295 on the stock 10" rim unless you're referring to something else
Right, but not 305s. And really it’s a bit tricky because those width options are slim to none at R19, but better at R20.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Right, but not 305s. And really it’s a bit tricky because those width options are slim to none at R19, but better at R20.
Ya, if you want all seasons then 295 and 305 don't matter much because you really can't get any at 19". Best bet on stock rims is 265/285 and then you get access to a few choices.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ya, if you want all seasons then 295 and 305 don't matter much because you really can't get any at 19". Best bet on stock rims is 265/285 and then you get access to a few choices.
I think that’s probably good advice.

APEXRaceParts

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra Sponsor
I just ran across this video that might also interest you as it covers some of the subjects you talked about:

I don't think bumping up to a wider all-season gets you anywhere near the increase in performance of going to a more aggressive compound, but the difference is difficult to quantify and would depend on the specific tires you are comparing. I've driven a few all seasons on track and they (older goodyears) really didn't deal with heat well. With that being said, newer all seasons are much better in this regard and newer summer tires also seem to perform well in the wet, so the boundaries are blurring a bit.

-Tom
Sponsored