Papadakis Racing: 1,000 HP Toyota GR Supra A90 Is Coming To Drift Our World

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
https://www.carscoops.com/2020/04/a...ta-gr-supra-a90-is-coming-to-drift-our-world/

Toyota-Supra-Drift-1-e1585876792849.jpg

Toyota-Supra-Drift-2.jpg

Toyota-Supra-Drift-3.jpg

Toyota-Supra-Drift-4.jpg

Toyota-Supra-Drift-5.jpg

Toyota-Supra-Drift-6.jpg

Toyota-Supra-Drift-7.jpg

Car enthusiasts aren’t wasting their time in modifying the new Toyota GR Supra and the guys over at Papadakis Racing are currently in the process of building a Supra drift car that will be driven by professional drifter Fredric Aasbø. These renderings from Jon Sibal preview what the completed car will look like.

The first thing that strikes you about this modified Supra is the widebody kit that includes flared rear and wheel arches to allow for the fitment of aftermarket wheels while also providing the driver with enough steering angle to hold the perfect drift. These new arches drastically alter the stance of the Japanese sports car and make it that much more aggressive. A Rockstar Energy Drink yellow and black livery has also been applied.

Like any good drift car, significant modifications will be made under the skin including bespoke suspension and braking components. Then there’s the upgraded powertrain.

Stephan Papadakis was one of the very first engine builders to start modifying the Supra’s powertrain and actually built up the B58 engine live at the SEMA Show in November last year. It’s understood the finished engine will produce roughly 1,000 hp and a video posted on Instagram shows the modified powertrain has already been put to the test on the dyno.

While this won’t be the first Toyota GR Supra drifter we’ve seen, it will be the first we’ve seen to use a built version of the car’s standard B58 engine. Daigo Saito premiered his 2020 Supra drift car last year but it features a 2JZ engine. Similarly, another Supra drift car from last year’s Goodwood Festival of Speed used the famed 2JZ.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
1,033-Horspower Toyota Supra Drift Car Was Built To Slay Tires

https://www.motor1.com/news/407967/1000-horsepower-supra-a90-drift-build/

The A90 is ready to take on the 2020 Formula D competition.
The Toyota Supra has been a mainstay in the world of drifting for some time and the new MKV A90 Supra is ready to make its mark on the 2020 Formula D Season. Papadakis Racing, a Toyota Factory Formula D team had massive success in the past using Scion TCs and Toyota Corollas as their starting point, but this year the team is making a switch to the A90 Supra. The creativity of the Papadakis Racing team was able to turn front-wheel-drive economy cars into a world-beating drift cars, and we’re excited to see how successful they are with a vehicle designed to be a sports car from the beginning.

Papadakis Racing has a rich history of turning unassuming Toyota products into a championship-winning drift cars. In 2015 the Papadakis Racing Team won the Formula D Championship with their Scion TC Drift car and put up strong competition in the Scion IM hatchback and most recently Corolla Hatchback Drift car. In the past, the team spent a great deal of time converting a front-wheel-drive car into a rear-wheel-drive drift car. The new A90 Toyota Supra is a perfect drift car canvas and we’re excited to see their final product in action.

To document the build of their 1033 horsepower Toyota Supra Drift Car, the Papadakis Racing team lead by Steph Papadakis created a multi-part YouTube series. There you can find enthralling videos documenting the stock engine teardown, new engine rebuild, stock supra tear down, and then the push for the final build.

Formula D Driver Fredric Aasbo has proved his skills in MKIV Supras which got him into Formula D and we’re excited to see how his experience translates to the new A90. All we need now is a confirmed start date for the 2020 Formula D season to see if the A90 Supra compares to the tried and true MKIV.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
Finally a real widebody
How is this any more of a widebody than any other glued/screwed/riveted flare set? You can see the seams on the pillars, on the hood, and on the bumpers.... it’s nothing more than a removable overfender kit that goes further and blends better than most. (Which makes sense on a drift car that will change panels often) It’s still not a widebody, it’s an overfender kit. Since rocket bunny/pandem/libertywalk have come out, people confuse the terms widebody and overfenders quite often.

With that said, this is one of the better looking kits for our cars, but I’m not feeling how narrow the bottoms are left. It needs some sort of lower aero to look complete, at least at the front.

P.S. Speaking of looking complete, the exhaust holes are empty, are you sure this looks okay to you? :D

Last edited:

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
How is this any more of a widebody than any other glued/screwed/riveted flare set? You can see the seams on the pillars, on the hood, and on the bumpers.... it’s nothing more than a removable overfender kit that goes further and blends better than most. (Which makes sense on a drift car that will change panels often) It’s still not a widebody, it’s an overfender kit. Since rocket bunny/pandem/libertywalk have come out, people confuse the terms widebody and overfenders quite often.

With that said, this is one of the better looking kits for our cars, but I’m not feeling how narrow the bottoms are left. It needs some sort of lower aero to look complete, at least at the front.
It more has to do with having the appearance of an adhesive unit and not an after thought like all the other overfender kits.

I don't understand why the bottoms are left narrow either. It takes away the visual weight of the rears going all the way to bottom in the front 1/4 view. From the rear 1/4 view it looks fine I guess since the area around both wheels are narrow but it still isn't a choice I would have made in their shoes.

P.S. Speaking of looking complete, the exhaust holes are empty, are you sure this looks okay to you? :D
Do you have something to say or are you witch hunting?

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
It more has to do with having the appearance of an adhesive unit and not an after thought like all the other overfender kits.

I don't understand why the bottoms are left narrow either. It takes away the visual weight of the rears going all the way to bottom in the front 1/4 view. From the rear 1/4 view it looks fine I guess since the area around both wheels are narrow but it still isn't a choice I would have made in their shoes.

Do you have something to say or are you witch hunting?
Clearly I’m just messing with you about exhaust at this point lol

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra

glennQNYC

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW 335i
Vehicle Showcase
The build video series on YouTube is highly recommended.
Sponsored