Toyota Supra Break In Period

How’d you break in?

• Total voters

Huddleston

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
See Sig
You are good. some, including me, had this car at the track the week it was purchased.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
Yea my car had 12 miles when I drove it off the lot. It has 300 miles on it now and I haven't taken it out of Sport Mode/Manual Shift since I got it. Every time I take it out, it's a mix of fast accelerations from stop to 60, and spirited driving on backroads. Most of the time I'm driving it fairly hard. I think you'll be fine. Most people who bought this car drove the piss out of from the get go.

genoxy

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
You'll be fine. Break in period on a sports car is like giving someone a million dollars and telling them not to spend any of it for a month. It's stupid & unnecessary IMO

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
The only part of break-in I think makes sense is to take it a bit easy on brand-new brakes. I've never heard of anyone having a drivetrain issue by not respecting break-in.

BEAR-AvHistory

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Z4 M40i, 2020 Surburban RST, 2013 BMW 135is, 1998 Ranger 4X4, FFR Cobra
Vehicle Showcase
Standard BMW break-in is 1200 miles. Its your car do what you want.

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
I’m sure we’ve all read what’s been said here and BMW forums concerning break in procedures for the b58. Lets avoid the “it’s your car, your warranty” rabbit hole. Surely we have a great engine, but the “Germans know best” argument is dependent on what part of history you’re looking at...

I’d like to hear thoughts on the following:

-has anyone had a b58 in another vehicle? Any high mileage b58 reports on things like oil consumption, maintenance?

-tuners, have you seen a difference in engine performance of cars you know were hounded hard out the gate vs “properly” broken in engines?

- why are people staying out of sport mode?

-if the manual says “under 4500k and 100mph” , does engine load up to 4500 play any role? Why not just make sure shifts are before 4500? (Obviously this is a factor, discuss)

-what are the inherent risks of not breaking in an engine correctly? Anyone ever heard of serious problems/failures?

-spirited driving in the 3k-4500k range during break in... thoughts? A lot of torque can be had in this range. Heating up and keeping the car in this range while having some fun on tight roads.. thoughts? Not “being easy on it” by any means.

-keeping break in oil in the car far after the 1200 mark? BMW says it is designed to stay in long term for proper wearing in of internals. Why is everyone draining at 1200 or earlier?

I am very close to a large BMW manufacturing plant. I plan on getting a friend who works there to get me in to speak to some of the engineers who personally work on these engines in the x series SUVs as well as the z4.

I am at 650 miles. A c8 challenged me and I forewent the break-in “rules” one time. Surprisingly kept up with him better than I expected. Otherwise I’ve spent the majority of my time thrashing these tires on extremely tight roads, heating the brakes and learning the tendencies of the suspension under different circumstances... all under 4500 RPM. I have a black stone kit to test my oil when the change comes... not sure when. I’ll be interested to see what the results are.

All input is appreciated.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I have a 2018 M240i (B58) with 23k miles. It consumes very little oil despite almost always being driven WOT (the moral hazard of a warranty. Only mechanical issue was an O2 sensor that went wonky.

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4
In general as others in the break in period posts point out in break in, it's more than just the engine, diff, trans, suspension, brakes, you're breaking in the entire car not just the engine.

In regards to "why not sport mode and watch your shift points" Sport changes throttle response, hence putting power in faster response, hence the idea to stay out as to not nonchalantly ragging on it in sport if you want to take a cautious approach.

Everyone has their approach as you see, "if" there's ever a premature failure of any type of the break in period and not followed, might be hard for you to fight a warranty claim, kinda like blowing a motor with manual trans because you redlined it and didn't shift right leaving the dealer, never gone down that road before but never know.

Having a custom diff from diffsonline, and even ess both have caution break in periods of dos and don'ts. New brakes, also bedding and break in procedures. The guys building it know far more than me to question just because I had no patience. After all, think everyone here plans to have their car for more than few thousand miles, no?

I think it was harder for me owning my E85 Z4 for 6 years (now having it for 10) putting 60k miles on it before adding my ess s/c and LSD (think ess was recommending 800ish and diffsonline are 1200 miles) at the same time and not being able to even get it on the dyno until break in period/procedures were done with them, than it will be for me to follow the break in guidelines for a new mkv when I'm ready.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I’m sure we’ve all read what’s been said here and BMW forums concerning break in procedures for the b58. Lets avoid the “it’s your car, your warranty” rabbit hole. Surely we have a great engine, but the “Germans know best” argument is dependent on what part of history you’re looking at...

-has anyone had a b58 in another vehicle? Any high mileage b58 reports on things like oil consumption, maintenance?

-tuners, have you seen a difference in engine performance of cars you know were hounded hard out the gate vs “properly” broken in engines?

-if the manual says “under 4500k and 100mph” , does engine load up to 4500 play any role? Why not just make sure shifts are before 4500? (Obviously this is a factor, discuss)

-what are the inherent risks of not breaking in an engine correctly? Anyone ever heard of serious problems/failures?

-spirited driving in the 3k-4500k range during break in... thoughts? A lot of torque can be had in this range. Heating up and keeping the car in this range while having some fun on tight roads.. thoughts? Not “being easy on it” by any means.

-keeping break in oil in the car far after the 1200 mark? BMW says it is designed to stay in long term for proper wearing in of internals. Why is everyone draining at 1200 or earlier?

I am very close to a large BMW manufacturing plant. I plan on getting a friend who works there to get me in to speak to some of the engineers who personally work on these engines in the x series SUVs as well as the z4.

I am at 650 miles. A c8 challenged me and I forewent the break-in “rules” one time. Surprisingly kept up with him better than I expected. Otherwise I’ve spent the majority of my time thrashing these tires on extremely tight roads, heating the brakes and learning the tendencies of the suspension under different circumstances... all under 4500 RPM. I have a black stone kit to test my oil when the change comes... not sure when. I’ll be interested to see what the results are.

since you Raced the C8, there goes your proper break in. Your motor is going to start burning oil and you will need a new motor like others with the warning for low oil level.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
just messing with ya man. Lol Those are all very good questions but I doubt anybody on here can answer with 100% accuracy and would only be guesstimates. I wonder myself too but it will drive yourself crazy thinking. Just drive it and enjoy. Check the oil level regularly and change it every 4-5000 miles or a year with good quality oil.

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart

The C8 was probably being broken in. lol. GM is serious about break in. Full power/torque is not unlocked until after a certain number of miles. Engineers at GM feel strong enough about proper break in where they electronically limit torque and power during the break-in period on C8s. It sounds like mostly for proper drivetrain break in. So gears wear ideally.

GM made a video about break in.

Why undermined the guys that engineered and built the cars? Honestly I would not overthink it. I would just do whatever the Supra owners manual recommends. Have fun!
Sponsored

Last edited: