• Total voters

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
You are just going to get a bunch of car nut opinions. We did not design the car or engine. These posts establish or prove nothing.

fwiw my observations:
A lot of the cars consuming oil are following break in procedure. I believe all eventually are found to have a ring issue.

There are 2 schools of thought: follow break in, drive conservatively and then "seat the rings"

I impulse bought on a Wed and was at my track that Sunday. I am not a stop light racer and I do not bounce off rev limiter. But i drove it hard for multiple 20 min sessions. 2 track days and then oil change at 2k. another 2 track days since. Weekend car only at 4k in 6 months

After last couple of track days it only burned 1/3 of one quart And that is driving it harder and harder each event.

Contrast to another track member who bought a C8 He is super babying it until break in period. I mean its like passing a minivan. I have ridden with him in it after the break in and he is wringing it out now.

Time will tell. Some reports of C8 issues dropping valves out there too.
Sponsored

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium - Absolute Zero
Thanks for the replies. I am very enthusiastic about the platform and am already enjoying the car plenty. A thought that came last night:
Toyota (or BMW for that matter) dealerships have no clue about this break in. I donā€™t find this surprising, but even regarding the owners manual it isnā€™t exactly front and center information. It makes me wonder the intentions of the instructions, whether they have ulterior motive other than engine health. Something that is as important as some make it out to be should be first page, slap in your face bold letters, right?

I will likely trade up to a new Supra in two years, whenever a new special edition comes out I canā€™t live without. I certainly hope they keep some of the ā€œhigher performanceā€ BMW engines out of these cars.. they are significantly more problematic it seems. Plenty of power from relatively low compression, tunability, durability.. why sacrifice that?

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Thanks for the replies. I am very enthusiastic about the platform and am already enjoying the car plenty. A thought that came last night:
Toyota (or BMW for that matter) dealerships have no clue about this break in. I donā€™t find this surprising, but even regarding the owners manual it isnā€™t exactly front and center information. It makes me wonder the intentions of the instructions, whether they have ulterior motive other than engine health. Something that is as important as some make it out to be should be first page, slap in your face bold letters, right?

I will likely trade up to a new Supra in two years, whenever a new special edition comes out I canā€™t live without. I certainly hope they keep some of the ā€œhigher performanceā€ BMW engines out of these cars.. they are significantly more problematic it seems. Plenty of power from relatively low compression, tunability, durability.. why sacrifice that?

Your way over thinking this if you are trying to read between lines or figure out ulterior intent in an owners manual

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Your way over thinking this if you are trying to read between lines or figure out ulterior intent in an owners manual
I disagree, simply being analytical. There are many mechanical engineering theories out there in other industries with no definitive answer on why things are done certain ways. Itā€™s more fun to speculate sometimes... Iā€™m not losing any sleep over it.

dethred

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Edition, Lotus Elise SC, (x2)Honda S2000
Having roasted 3 diff in my bolt on Viper (they normally can handle 2000hp+) because I couldn't wait before launching the car after each replacement... I'm pretty sure a lot of the breaking recommendations are meant to protect more than just the motor. Averaging 60mph at 2,000rpm over 1200 miles is 2,400,000 revolutions of the motor. If it isn't broken in well before then...?

piper1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 e85 Z4

Kind of agreeing either the C8 was still in break in or he was just toying with you

PalmettoPrecision

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Kind of agreeing either the C8 was still in break in or he was just toying with you
That video is grossly misrepresentative of:
1: the Corvette and Supraā€™s launch capabilities. Corvette is still in break in mode in that vid. Plenty of videos showing the supra doing much better than that against the c8.
2: Comparison of the supra and Carrera S. A friend of mine has a 2021 Carrera S and itā€™s absolutely faster, not 1 second in a quarter mile though. Not even close.

These guys are entertaining and I watch them a lot, however their ā€œfindingsā€ are usually challenged by the majority consensus on many different topics.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Performance wise, the Supra is the orange in this apples-to-apples-to-oranges scenario.

Either way, as a Supra owner, I'm just flattered that they're comparing it to the C8 and 911 S.

I bought my '20 new for under $50k. The 911 S is easily $100k new and the C8 is much closer to that 6-figure mark than the unicorn $59,995 initial "clickbait" figure.

Yes, it lost, but still... Color me impressed.

Enerzia

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem
So Iā€™ve driven my new MK5 for 200 miles. In those 200 miles, Iā€™ve been pushing it and redlining it to a certain extent (not every mile that was driven but a couple here and there). This is my first Sports car and I was not aware of the ā€œBreak-In Periodā€ until today. Do you guys think Iā€™ve done long-term damage to the car within the 200 miles?

I plan on driving under 4.5K RPM until the suggested 1200 mile.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
So Iā€™ve driven my new MK5 for 200 miles. In those 200 miles, Iā€™ve been pushing it and redlining it to a certain extent (not every mile that was driven but a couple here and there). This is my first Sports car and I was not aware of the ā€œBreak-In Periodā€ until today. Do you guys think Iā€™ve done long-term damage to the car within the 200 miles?

I plan on driving under 4.5K RPM until the suggested 1200 mile.
No, boost is good for engine break in. Personally I try to avoid redline, but you should be getting into boost, medium and full throttle are good, along with engine braking.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/low-oil-poll-with-break-in-data.8446/

Supra Cat

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0, 4Runner, Mustang GT/CS, NA Miata
You're doing it right. As suicidaleggroll says, varied boost, throttle and engine braking. :drive:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra
I would take it "medium" until 500 miles. I say this for the sake of the rear end. The gears do need to break in. After that, full send mode.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
I did one higher than normal run above 4k during break in.
No issue at all.
Actually, the car feels better for it. With my previous car (focus rs) and break in never going near redline that car was always inconsistent power. (probably due to the crap mustang HG and other BS with leaking engine)
Anyway you have nothing to worry about.
Enjoy the drive.
Sponsored