Any 2020 Owners regretting their purchase?

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
To be clear, I just bought a used 2020, and I do love it thus far. More power than I can truly exploit on the road, and same is true for the handling. That being said, I’m watching tons of vids about the Supra, and I cringe a bit when the talk about the 2021 pops up, and how much better it is, and how much I should have waited.

Now don’t get me wrong, most these people who actually drive both versions say there is a difference, but it’s not super evident on the road. But I do admit the new head and suspension tweaks have me a bit envious. Now I’m sure someone is going to say tune it, but no, I don’t need more power, it’s more the idea of what I’m missing out that bothers me. As for the YouTube commenters, those I couldn’t care less about, becase almost all are armchair ctritcs who have not owned as many cars they yammer on about. The thing is, I made fun of the Supra prior to driving it too. The only reason I drove it was because the used car dealer’s son was working the lot, and his dad , the manager, wouldn’t let him drive it, so he asked me if I wanted to so he could do a ride along! I was like ”ok” I’ll drive just about anything just for the experience. Took me all of 10 min. And I decided to buy the car! Before that moment I would have never thought to get one. especially since it was an automatic sports car. Why should I have, all I’ve ever owned for the last 20 years are manual sports cars. But this car was AMAZING.

That brings me to almost the next universal gripe - no manual. Well I’m hear to make the case for humble auto. First is a manual more fun, no doubt, yes it is. But for some reason I feel the auto, THIS auto, fits the car. Feels more dual clutch, but without all the jerkiness. I almost guarantee you this car would be a full second slower if a manual was used. Does that mean I wouldn’t take a manual? Of corse not, I love rowing gears. But I also don’t like rowing gears in traffic, which is 60 to 70 percent of my time.

so 2020 owners, any regret?
Sponsored

Benjilis

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV, VW CC R-Line
It’s only beneficial if you arnt going to tune the car as 2021s can’t be unlocked.
if you don’t wanna tune it, I bet there is already a scrapped 2021 out there and you can buy it’s ECU andI believe your car will have the perks of the 2021.
I may be wrong here but could be right

Rob_Supra21

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue
It’s only beneficial if you arnt going to tune the car as 2021s can’t be unlocked.
if you don’t wanna tune it, I bet there is already a scrapped 2021 out there and you can buy it’s ECU andI believe your car will have the perks of the 2021.
I may be wrong here but could be right
There are a few differences between the 2020 and 2021 motors so a direct ECU swap wouldn’t quite be the answer.

Also worth clarifying that some 2021 models can be tuned, for example my A91 Edition has an ECU date of 5/25/2020 so it is tunable.

Probaholic1

First Name
Frankie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2015 Fiesta ST, 2005 Audi A4b6 2.7
It'll happen they all get unlocked people are just impatient. The biggest thing, i would car about is the head tweaks, ultimately it comes down to modifying. Sure it's nice stock and the 21s are slightly different but as soon as you through something under there it all goes out the window.

bryanole27

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra GR
No regrets at all on my 2020. I've owned mine almost 1.5 years and was one of the first on the road in Charlotte....which means I've been able to enjoy the car THAT much longer instead of sitting on the sidelines waiting for the "latest and greatest." And on top of that, the mods and added power I have done easily make up for any paper power increases of the 2021.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think an ecu swap is the only difference between the two series. Correct me if im wrong, but a 2021 has the six exhaust port cylinder head vs the two exhaust port cylinder in the 2020’s. The 2021’s also have different pistons for different compression ratios compared to the 2020’s. Unlocking an ecu is a waiting game...and worse case scenario, you get a standalone ecu that can do much more than a factory ecu. The biggest “pro” of a 2020 that I see, is the ease of removing and upgrading the factory turbo.

Supra CRNA

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra GR, 2006 Mitsu Lancer Evo 9 RS
no regrets here! owned since Oct 2019. Mine is tuned. The online haters don't understand the tuning capabilities of the platform, but over time people will see. I don't really care about any of these "reviewers," I love to drive it and it puts a smile on my face every time!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
If anything, it's us late 2021 owners with locked ECUs that would have any regret (not that I have any). As others pointed out, 2020 owners can close up any HP gap to the 2021s with a tune.

Xxyion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Refraction Blue, 05' S2000
I'm curious at what changes you seem like you're missing out on especially when you say you dont want to tune.

The majority of the changes between the 20 and the 21 are all engine based, but you also specifically stated that you dont want to tune and have no need for more power. If thats the case, then the changes you must be referring to would be the suspension changes as well as the braces in the front engine. Both are easily fixed with mods and so then it becomes a non-issue and you're not missing out on anything.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I didn't purchase my '20 Premium with the outright intention of tuning for more power. Although, that may change in the future. I bought it when the '21 models were starting to come out because it fell into my under-$50K budget.

There's nearly everything in the aftermarket world to bridge the gap between the '20 and '21 3.0 models with the exception of color and trim in the LE and A91 editions.

I'd be more selective if there was a manual option or cooled/vented seats between current model year offerings.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I’m not worried about the tune for the power like y’all say that is easily fixed, I’m more worried about anything that has to do with handling that is electronically controlled, such as are diff.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
I’m not worried about the tune for the power like y’all say that is easily fixed, I’m more worried about anything that has to do with handling that is electronically controlled, such as are diff.
Good question.

I think it'll most likely be dependent on whether or not you'll be tracking it.

From the vast majority of auto publication reviews, YouTube test drives and comparisons, very few have noticed any of the changes in daily spirited driving, meaning outside the track.
Sponsored