Anyone coming from a German Sports Sedan?

CaptSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B8.5 Audi S4
I've been eyeing a Supra for over a year now and the bug is really starting to kick in. I have a B8.5 S4 with a DSG, so the Supra may feel right at home. Anyone coming from a sports sedan to a Supra? Regrets?
Sponsored

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
135i coupe. No regrets, happy. I miss the M-Sport steering wheel the most out of everything... Although the back seat, visibility and boot are worth a mention for practicality.

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra Premium, 2009 BMW 335i xDrive Coupe, 2015 Kia Soul +
Yeah, I had a coupe too, '09 335i, but this feels extremely similar (as it should).

I actually cross shopped my Supra against a used Giulia Q4 and an M340i, and just got the best deal on the Supra. I absolutely miss having 4 doors (and have, since I got the BMW in 2012) but do you use yours? The only time I need extra seating is when I take my guys out for lunch, and prior to that a few years ago, I didn't need them at all. If you have kids and this is your only car, good luck! But if you've got alternate ways around the storage/seating issues, you'll be very familiar with the Supra and love it, since you're in the German world already.

OP
OP

CaptSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B8.5 Audi S4
Yeah, I had a coupe too, '09 335i, but this feels extremely similar (as it should).

I actually cross shopped my Supra against a used Giulia Q4 and an M340i, and just got the best deal on the Supra. I absolutely miss having 4 doors (and have, since I got the BMW in 2012) but do you use yours? The only time I need extra seating is when I take my guys out for lunch, and prior to that a few years ago, I didn't need them at all. If you have kids and this is your only car, good luck! But if you've got alternate ways around the storage/seating issues, you'll be very familiar with the Supra and love it, since you're in the German world already.
Thanks for the reply. The B8.5 has almost zero legroom in the back so when I do need to haul people around it's in a different car. Having the extra doors for storage is nice though.

I'm don't have any kids and won't for the foreseeable future. My main concern was using this as a daily driver and how it could compare to the S4. From what I've read the Supra has a very compliant and comfy ride. The S4 doesn't have adaptive suspension, so it may be a plus. How did it hold up in the winter?

OP
OP

CaptSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B8.5 Audi S4
135i coupe. No regrets, happy. I miss the M-Sport steering wheel the most out of everything... Although the back seat, visibility and boot are worth a mention for practicality.
Visibility livable to be daily? The C Pillars look atrocious compared to a sedan with more windows.

Reppunkamui

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra 2020, Toyota Supra 1994, BMW 135i M-Sport,
Visibility livable to be daily? The C Pillars look atrocious compared to a sedan with more windows.
You will definitely get used to it as a daily, but it is worth a mention. Same issues as the A80 (and most sport coupes) to me. The tiny space between the B and C pillar and rear view are where I get reminded...Also you may need to adjust to the long bonnet if coming from a sedan.But it all becomes normal when you get used to it.

OP
OP

CaptSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B8.5 Audi S4
You will definitely get used to it as a daily, but it is worth a mention. Same issues as the A80 (and most sport coupes) to me. The tiny space between the B and C pillar and rear view are where I get reminded...Also you may need to adjust to the long bonnet if coming from a sedan.But it all becomes normal when you get used to it.
Thanks! I'm sure the sensors will help me adjust. I'll have to test it out when things die down.

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I didn't get a chance to mess around in winter - I kept the old E92 for that, since it's AWD and has a winter tire setup already. But with a good set of winter tires I'm sure the Supra would be fine. It can be fairly tame if you want it to be.

And yeah, visibility is like driving a pillbox, but there's enough aids to get you used to it. I'll probably start backing into spots more frequently now (allegedly safer anyway) just because cross-traffic in parking lots is my nightmare now. Beyond that, the rest isn't really a problem - I got used to driving it on the highway in about 5 minutes.

OP
OP

CaptSlow

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
B8.5 Audi S4
I didn't get a chance to mess around in winter - I kept the old E92 for that, since it's AWD and has a winter tire setup already. But with a good set of winter tires I'm sure the Supra would be fine. It can be fairly tame if you want it to be.

And yeah, visibility is like driving a pillbox, but there's enough aids to get you used to it. I'll probably start backing into spots more frequently now (allegedly safer anyway) just because cross-traffic in parking lots is my nightmare now. Beyond that, the rest isn't really a problem - I got used to driving it on the highway in about 5 minutes.
Awesome, thank you for the info. Weighing my options now with the 2021 coming and color options!

_soup.raw

First Name
ST
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 SUPRA LE #1481, 2018 4RUNNER TRD PRO
If you have an extra car for hauling as mentioned and no intentions for kids, I'd highly recommend the Supra.

I've had an ISF, BMW F80 M3, and BMW M2 as my most recent cars and love the Supra. Ride quality is very compliant as a daily driver. No regrets so far nonetheless.

a90moe

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Yes, a bolt on 6spd manual F80 M3

Supra is more nimble and feels a lot lighter. M3 on spirited drives was more fun because of the 3 pedals

DD'd both of them for some time and the Supra wins as a daily because of the ZF auto trans

Regrets? None :)

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IMO, Supra is a great weekend or secondary car. As a DD, ummmm negative. Not a practical car for a DD.
I don't disagree, but I think the way I'd put it, is the Supra is no worse than your average small 2dr RWD sports coupe at being a daily driver. In fact, it's a good bit better, and plenty able to be daily driven - Toyota/BMW did a great job at making it very comfortable and livable. But it's worth remembering the disadvantages all small, 2dr RWD sports coupes have when you're thinking about making it a DD.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I don't disagree, but I think the way I'd put it, is the Supra is no worse than your average small 2dr RWD sports coupe at being a daily driver. In fact, it's a good bit better, and plenty able to be daily driven - Toyota/BMW did a great job at making it very comfortable and livable. But it's worth remembering the disadvantages all small, 2dr RWD sports coupes have when you're thinking about making it a DD.
there is nothing comfy about the A90. Lol. Looks cool tho.

Cybermoose

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
there is nothing comfy about the A90. Lol. Looks cool tho.
Oh I can certainly see why people would think that, it's subjective and yeah, it's a really small car. I'm 5'8" in the biggest shoes I own, and like 180lbs. It's really comfortable for me! It feels somewhat claustrophobic even for me though, and like I said, I'm not very big. I've got a buddy who I've been meaning to try and fit in the car - he's 6'6". I'll ask him how comfortable it is when he finally gets a chance to get in. :)
Sponsored