Anyone considering a bed cap topper?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I've never had a bed cap before, but I'm considering one now. Anyone out there put a cap on your Tacoma yet? I know ARE has them. Also interested in any downside from past experience.
Sponsored

univurshul

First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2001
I've had an ARE on a 2001 Ram for almost 10 years. They're great for keeping snow & rain out, but the basic shells are a pain in the ass for accessing the area just behind the cab. Make sure you get side doors.

The best shell IMO rn is the GFC. But they're 10K with the RTT. Competitors cost even more. About 18% the value of a 60K truck. Better than towing a caravan tho, so....

2024 Tacoma Anyone considering a bed cap topper? IMG_2635

Datrane01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 Off Road
I bought the flated topper because I only want to use it when I go camping, and it is easy to remove and store. It was also under $1500 I believe. I haven't actually used it yet, but plan to in a few weeks. It does seem well built for what it is and will fit my purposes quite well. I have a tonneau cover on the bed the rest of the time.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Iā€™ll be going Lone Peak, almost half the price of an optioned GFC but with better features.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I've never had a bed cap before, but I'm considering one now. Anyone out there put a cap on your Tacoma yet? I know ARE has them. Also interested in any downside from past experience.
caps are super useful imo ā€” gotta love locking storage. Iā€™d suggest getting doors or ā€˜windoorsā€™ for the sides otherwise reaching things near the cab side of the bed can get tricky/bothersome. Personally, Iā€™m prob gonna slap something thatā€™s part cap part tent on mine since I camp all the time but if you donā€™t, the fiberglass shell is tried and true. Iā€™ve heard nice things about the rsi smart cap too, but theyā€™re a bit spendy.

TacoTime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forester
Just sharing from my own research....may help some.

Alu-cab has recently introduced a modular "modcap". Similar to the canopy camper but include a cap variant. Designed with a swing open door and tailgate delete.

https://www.alu-cab.com/modcap/

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I bought the flated topper because I only want to use it when I go camping, and it is easy to remove and store.
Interested to hear what you think when you've used it. I don't really like the look of toppers but would love to have one when camping.

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I don't typically like toppers either, but this time I decided to go for it. I think the Tacoma will look good, and quite frankly with a 5' bed what I'm hauling in there will be somewhat limited anyway. I have trailers for the big stuff. I go on nature photography trips pretty often, and some of those take me to some remote places. It'll be nice to have that extra, lockable storage. I did take the advise from some here and got the windoors on the sides. Should be here in about 3 weeks.

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Iā€™ll be going Lone Peak, almost half the price of an optioned GFC but with better features.
Same here for my TH. Did you see they have a 4th gen they are measuring today? Excellent news.

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Tacoma Off-Road; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
This is who I am going with. A little pricey, but I think worth it.

https://www.na.rsismartcap.com/products/smartcap-evo-a
I have one on my second gen and would be going with one again if I just needed a topper and wasnā€™t doing camper shell route (built in tent). Going with a Lone Peak.

RSI is a really nice and functional topper. Only complaint was lead time initially but canā€™t do anything about that.

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Same here for my TH. Did you see they have a 4th gen they are measuring today? Excellent news.
No! Didnā€™t see that yet.. actually inquired about that the other day.. glad to hear

Datrane01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 Off Road
Interested to hear what you think when you've used it. I don't really like the look of toppers but would love to have one when camping.
I put the topper on today for a fit test. It was pretty easy to install by myself, but because of the spoiler on the back of the cab, it pushed the flated topper back a couple inches. I deflated the topper to give more play and tried to shove it under the spoiler, but it wouldn't budge. The topper is quite sturdy even with low inflation. I sent an email to the company to see if there is something that can be done, but if I have that large of a gap, not sure I can keep it.

2024 Tacoma Anyone considering a bed cap topper? 20240419_170508

2024 Tacoma Anyone considering a bed cap topper? 20240419_170517

2024 Tacoma Anyone considering a bed cap topper? 20240419_172809

bitrunner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, Audi
I put the topper on today for a fit test. It was pretty easy to install by myself, but because of the spoiler on the back of the cab, it pushed the flated topper back a couple inches.
Oh wow, wasnā€™t even thinking about the spoiler.. thatā€™s too bad. Iā€™d bet that Flated will address that soon with a modified design: one of the other perks of Tacomas is that with that much market share, most midsize truck accessory makers strive to be compatible. Not a good look to say your flagship product doesnā€™t work with Tacomas.

And while Iā€™m wishing for things from flated, why not another air chamber option in the toppers for a bed extender for short beds to become big enough to sleep in? The existing topper tent solutions are janky and having something hard-sided and insulating would be a great removable alternative to GFCā€™s and the like.

Datrane01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 Off Road
Oh wow, wasnā€™t even thinking about the spoiler.. thatā€™s too bad. Iā€™d bet that Flated will address that soon with a modified design: one of the other perks of Tacomas is that with that much market share, most midsize truck accessory makers strive to be compatible. Not a good look to say your flagship product doesnā€™t work with Tacomas.

And while Iā€™m wishing for things from flated, why not another air chamber option in the toppers for a bed extender for short beds to become big enough to sleep in? The existing topper tent solutions are janky and having something hard-sided and insulating would be a great removable alternative to GFCā€™s and the like.
I should have probably started a new thread for this, so sorry if I hijacked this thread.

I am going to try the topper out the first weekend of May, but I will likely be returning it after that. The customer support from Flated is the best I have ever seen and were trying to work with me whether I wanted to keep it and try to make it work or return it. One solution they mentioned trying was to get some waterproof flashing-type material like laminate and attach it to the topper so the gap is not there between the bed and the topper, but I do not see how I could keep that attached and trust it not to come off when driving. They are also offering me to return it for a full refund or keep it and get a discount trade-in when they come out with a version specifically for the 2024 Tacoma. The problem is that it will be 8-12 months they said. By then, other soft topper options should be available or if I still cannot find something that I prefer, I can give Flated's new version a try because I really do like how easy it is to install and remove as well as store. And I agree that it would be much better to have an option that turns it into a sort of extended bed camper. My current plan was to use a tarp that I attach and hope I get the run-off right.
Sponsored