Anyone Has Experience Tuning with Stock Downpipe?

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
Hi Supra owners!

I have a 2020 A90 Supra and have been driving it with its stock ECU with only a HKS Racing Suction Intake mod and stock dp and exhaust.

Recently, I've been looking at tunes that I can explore with a stock exhaus setup as my local regulations forbids downpipe and exhaust mods, and I can't be bothered to switch out the dp every year for the inspection.

I'm open to exploring pure turbos but not sure how far can the stock dp handle. I'm not greedy for power, just looking to peak the performance without sacrificing the reliability of the stock setup. Anyone with such experience who can give me some advice?

Thanks alot in advance!

Regards,
ben
Sponsored

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
you can tune the car with stock downpipes, you'll lose anywhere from 20-40 HP compared to the catless

Another option would be to get the active autowerke catted downpipe, it makes more power than stock and uses EPA-approved cats.

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
you can tune the car with stock downpipes, you'll lose anywhere from 20-40 HP compared to the catless

Another option would be to get the active autowerke catted downpipe, it makes more power than stock and uses EPA-approved cats.
This is a good option. I've had the AA catted downpipe for about 1k miles now. No CEL and caught me out on cold tires the first time I drove it. Definitely makes more power than stock according to the butt dyno and I'm saving the world!

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
Thanks alot for the feedback!
I’ve considered the AA catted dp before but based on my local regulations, as long as any discrepancy from stock I will need to return it to stock. Its tough here ?

Back to the question on the stock dp, will the restriction of airflow hurt my turbo? Ideally I would like to achieve 400whp with stock dp and a stock/pure turbo running on 100 octane.

Thanks alot for your feedback and experiences! Really helps me out as I’ve just started to explore tuning.

Extreme Power House

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
x-ph.com
Car(s)
18 BMW M4, 13 Mustang GT
I’ve considered the AA catted dp before but based on my local regulations, as long as any discrepancy from stock I will need to return it to stock. Its tough here ?

Back to the question on the stock dp, will the restriction of airflow hurt my turbo? Ideally I would like to achieve 400whp with stock dp and a stock/pure turbo running on 100 octane.

Thanks alot for your feedback and experiences! Really helps me out as I’ve just started to explore tuning.
the restriction will not hurt your turbo as your tuner will adjust your map and take into consideration that you have the stock DP and not a high flow one

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor

unless they are crawling under the car to check the cat, it would be hard to tell the difference between a OEM cat and a High Flow catted DP.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)

With a tune you don't need a turbo to make 400whp on 100 octane.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
unless they are crawling under the car to check the cat, it would be hard to tell the difference between a OEM cat and a High Flow catted DP.
unfortunately, they do go under the car to check. ? they have pictures of the stock dp so it'll be an easy tell.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
Thanks guys for your feedback! Really appreciate your responses!!!

Ben22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Toyota Sequoia, 2021 Supra 2.0
Talk to Aiden at VF Engineering, I am going the same route as you.

OP
OP

Suprafast

First Name
Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra (White)
Talk to Aiden at VF Engineering, I am going the same route as you.
oh nice! have you started your upgrades?

will speak to him, but i'm not living in the states, not sure if he'll be able to assist me directly. ? but thanks alot for the tip!

Ben22

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Toyota Sequoia, 2021 Supra 2.0
oh nice! have you started your upgrades?

will speak to him, but i'm not living in the states, not sure if he'll be able to assist me directly. ? but thanks alot for the tip!
I have some upgrades in mind, but nothing too crazy. I am not sure if VF does international shipping on ECU. They’re good tuners ?

Bundy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra A90, 2021 Subaru Outback
Hi Supra owners!

I have a 2020 A90 Supra and have been driving it with its stock ECU with only a HKS Racing Suction Intake mod and stock dp and exhaust.

Recently, I've been looking at tunes that I can explore with a stock exhaus setup as my local regulations forbids downpipe and exhaust mods, and I can't be bothered to switch out the dp every year for the inspection.

I'm open to exploring pure turbos but not sure how far can the stock dp handle. I'm not greedy for power, just looking to peak the performance without sacrificing the reliability of the stock setup. Anyone with such experience who can give me some advice?

Thanks alot in advance!

Regards,
ben
I am running stock catted DP and exhaust with PF. EcuTek tune gave 432,6 HP on 98 octane.

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
You can gut your stock downpipe and it will look 100% factory and with an ecu tune you will turn the sensors that check for the dp off and it will not throw a check engine light, it is not the ideal option but if you want the power and a little added noise, remove oem downpipe, gut the internals, and ba da big ba da boom.

METAL

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
You can gut your stock downpipe and it will look 100% factory and with an ecu tune you will turn the sensors that check for the dp off and it will not throw a check engine light, it is not the ideal option but if you want the power and a little added noise, remove oem downpipe, gut the internals, and ba da big ba da boom.
He will fail the obd2 test.
Sponsored