Artificial engine noise / fake engine noise in 2025 4Runner 6th Gen

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
Brings up the question -- anyone know if there's engine sound amplification into the cabin of the 6th gen 4Runner / 4th gen Tacoma? A lot of new vehicles have this now as cabins have gotten better at sound insulation.
No idea for the 4Runner specifically, but I very much think it will be the same as it is on the Tacoma. For the Tacoma, yes there is fake engine noise pumped into the cabin. However, there is also a setting that can be changed via the OBD2 interface to turn it off. This can be done by the dealer or yourself with the appropriate tool.

Turning off fake / disabling the fake engine noise (on Tacoma): https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/first-500-miles-with-my-trd-or-premium.3558/#post-53666

Jack

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 FJ
No idea for the 4Runner specifically, but I very much think it will be the same as it is on the Tacoma. For the Tacoma, yes there is fake engine noise pumped into the cabin. However, there is also a setting that can be changed via the OBD2 interface to turn it off. This can be done by the dealer or yourself with the appropriate tool.
Thanks for confirming that there's artificial noise / fake engine noise being heard in the Tacoma. Good news for @AircooledFanatic is that it can be changed via OBD2 interface.

OP
OP

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
Thanks for confirming that there's artificial noise / fake engine noise being heard in the Tacoma. Good news for @AircooledFanatic is that it can be changed via OBD2 interface.
If/When I get a Tacoma or 4Runner turning this stuff off is one of the first things I will do. I want my cabin to be a quiet as possible. That is why I would not consider buying an SUV that was not permanently enclosed like a Wrangler or Bronco.

Administrator

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Highlander
Also note that the new Tacoma also has active noise canceling. The amount of it depends on the trim.

The Limited trim (on Tacoma) has the most aggressive noise canceling and artificial engine noise.