As someone who owns and has owned a Unibody SUV/CUV, what are the perks of having a Body on Frame SUV?

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
So a little background, I’ve owned about 3 vehicles in my life thus far. 16’ Elantra GT, 19’ X2 M35i and currently 23’ Honda HR-V.

As someone who’s owned literally only Unibody vehicles, what are the benefits of owning a body on frame vehicle. Would love to have input from current 4Runner owners as well as owners of Broncos and other body on frame owners.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Real difference is that the chassis and suspension are separate from the body.

Pros
  • Better ground clearance for off-roading
  • Ability to handle heavier loads
  • Easier to modify with lifting kits
  • Flexes over uneven terrain to keep wheels on the ground
  • Rubber-mounted body filters out vibrations for a comfortable ride
Cons
  • Much heavier than unibody
  • Not as safe, with a higher risk of rolling
  • Less fuel-efficient

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
Real difference is that the chassis and suspension are separate from the body.

Pros
  • Better ground clearance for off-roading
  • Ability to handle heavier loads
  • Easier to modify with lifting kits
  • Flexes over uneven terrain to keep wheels on the ground
  • Rubber-mounted body filters out vibrations for a comfortable ride
Cons
  • Much heavier than unibody
  • Not as safe, with a higher risk of rolling
  • Less fuel-efficient
I appreciate the insight! I’ve only driven my buddies Tacoma TRD Pro and you can definitely feel a difference but I wasn’t quite sure what it was.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Bronconomore, what is your opinion/experience regarding corrosion susceptibility between a body-on-frame and unibody? Of course TigerEyeJazz would not have an issue in Florida, but in the U.S. "Rust Belt" this is a critical concern with the frames.

MJE

Threads
Reaction score
I appreciate the insight! I’ve only driven my buddies Tacoma TRD Pro and you can definitely feel a difference but I wasn’t quite sure what it was.
That would definitely be a major contributor to the difference you’re feeling. I had BOF pickups for most of my life & only in the last 8? Years have gotten into unibody SUVs. That feel you’re describing int he Tacoma I’ve come to determine I prefer. Rear drive alone feels hugely different in driving, I enjoyed the explorer I had as possibly the only rear drive (ok AWD with a rear bias) unibody vehicle.

OP
OP
TigerEyeJazz

TigerEyeJazz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Honda HR-V Sport.
That would definitely be a major contributor to the difference you’re feeling. I had BOF pickups for most of my life & only in the last 8? Years have gotten into unibody SUVs. That feel you’re describing int he Tacoma I’ve come to determine I prefer. Rear drive alone feels hugely different in driving, I enjoyed the explorer I had as possibly the only rear drive (ok AWD with a rear bias) unibody vehicle.
I’ve never owned a RWD vehicle thus far I’ve only owned FWD and the AWD in the X2 which was FWD based. I think it’s time to get a Body On Frame vehicle. Overall driving will feel different for me going from CUV’s to SUV’s but I need something different.

Reactions: MJE