Audio Coding Upgrade - Bang and Olufsen Mode?

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'23 Supra; '08 Civic Type R; '91 VN Commodore.
Has anyone tried coding this in the Supra?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594062

I'm skeptical - and don't have my Supra yet - but people seem largely positive after coding over at bimmerpost. It also looks like you can code a B&W mode too. Looks like these change DSP settings.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

Last edited:

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
It's interesting how you can use B&O settings, considering the F30 uses a Harman Kardon System. I wonder if it'll work with the JBL system

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
It's interesting how you can use B&O settings, considering the F30 uses a Harman Kardon System. I wonder if it'll work with the JBL system
From Google:

Is Bowers and Wilkins owned by Harman?

HARMAN's leading brands and cutting-edge audio systems include JBL®, Harman Kardon®, Mark Levinson®, AKG®, Lexicon®, Infinity®, and Revel®. The company also licenses Bowers & Wilkins® and Bang & Olufsen® brands for automotive.

Hmm..

If my Supra ever arrives I think I will give it a go.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
From Google:

Is Bowers and Wilkins owned by Harman?

HARMAN's leading brands and cutting-edge audio systems include JBL®, Harman Kardon®, Mark Levinson®, AKG®, Lexicon®, Infinity®, and Revel®. The company also licenses Bowers & Wilkins® and Bang & Olufsen® brands for automotive.

Hmm..

If my Supra ever arrives I think I will give it a go.
And when you consider that Samsung bought Harman... they own a really big chunk of both the pro and consumer audio markets. Bowers & Wilkins is a Sound United brand however - they're the other mega-conglomerate in CE audio gear.

Harman Intl. have been pioneers in blind testing products for years however, so even when a brand isn't a direct subsidiary... they likely incorporate some aspects of the 'Harman curve' and/or testing practices. Floyd Toole and Sean Olive have both made very significant contributions to audio reproduction - much of it at Harman. They occasionally stop by the other forum I waste most of my time on: AudioScienceReview. In Dr. Toole's case - he's been the guy for speaker design and placement, etc. for as long as I've been alive. Dr. Olive has been working more recently with active designs targeting automotive and headphone applications however.

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Interesting. My favorite flavor is B&W at home and Focal for the car. Really curious to see how the B&W coding fares to be honest.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Tried it when I was mucking about fixing my audio issues and going full digital to the amp. Made no difference prior to going full digital as far as I could tell. Afterwards it's not relevant any more

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Tried it when I was mucking about fixing my audio issues and going full digital to the amp. Made no difference prior to going full digital as far as I could tell. Afterwards it's not relevant any more
Ah cool. There's a guy on Facebook who is suggesting it made a world of difference in his Supra. Thought it might be BS. :/

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I mean, I'm no audio gear reviewer, but I'm pretty damn discerning, and I couldn't make out a difference, if anything it might have even been worse, but take that with a pinch of salt because it was ages ago and I don't remember more than it not being better

OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
I mean, I'm no audio gear reviewer, but I'm pretty damn discerning, and I couldn't make out a difference, if anything it might have even been worse, but take that with a pinch of salt because it was ages ago and I don't remember more than it not being better
That's a fair call. I'm worried about the audio in the Supra. I'm no audiophile but I have a minimum standard and if it doesn't meet it, I'll be spending some cash to gut it and put it right. Hopefully the famous box porting mod, equalizer tweaks and coding out the stupid fake engine noise will be enough. 😬

MR_X

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Bupra, 2016 Macan Turbo, 2010 M3
Last edited:
OP
OP
BMWAF

BMWAF

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
Just circling back to say I gave both the B&O and B&W settings and after a brief test I couldn't hear any positive difference. The menu settings went a little funny with B&W and with B&O the audio sounded a little worse - again, in a very brief test. I am running the JBL setup in my car, FYI.

illuminous

First Name
Nitro
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 3.0
Just circling back to say I gave both the B&O and B&W settings and after a brief test I couldn't hear any positive difference. The menu settings went a little funny with B&W and with B&O the audio sounded a little worse - again, in a very brief test. I am running the JBL setup in my car, FYI.
I agree the B&O settings are a bit flat compared to default.
Sponsored