Featured Automobile Article on Supra FT-1 and future Japanese sports cars

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by Craigy, Jul 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    Good, brief article worth a look.

http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...s-cars-nissan-gt-r-lexus-sc-and-toyota-supra/

nissan-gt-r-rendering-front.jpg

Everything they have to say seems pretty reasonable, although I think 2016 as a 2017 model for the Supra seems a little optimistic.

I agree we won't be seeing anything new from Nissan for some time, given that they continue to roll out updated models of the GT-R. That 2020 concept might end up being an accurate prediction of the model year for a new car. It seems like the Lexus is the dark horse which might actually hit showrooms this time next year. I'm looking forward to it.

Da Hmong likes this.
  2. Da Hmong

Da Hmong Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2010 Impreza
    Liked:
    Good summary. Hoping we see it next year as a 2017 model.

I've always wondered - since Toyota will presumably be able to use the jointly developed architecture for more than just the Supra, can't they then go and build a Lexus car using the same architecture and then compete with BMW in the same segment/price?

Craigy likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Craigy

Craigy Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    M3, Lexus GX
    Liked:
    That's what i would have thought as well. Apparently the SC is going to be on its own architecture... I suspect the SC is intended to be more of a heavy GT car instead of the lightweight FT1. But the new joint platform is supposed to be modular so maybe Lexus could have more than a couple sportscars in their future.

4. JJR

JJR Active Member

Car(s):
    CT200
    Liked:
    If the new Supra comes as a hybrid I really don't think it'll develop anywhere close to the following that the last gen had. The Supra name moved to a whole new level of legend because of how tuner friendly it was and how much the car was modified and embraced by 'junkies'

Craigy likes this.
  5. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Alfa Romeo
    Liked:
    Don't think it has anything to do. Today hybrid also stands for performance. I can see in future, companies tuning as Google or Apple Car to free up more kW, reprogram acceleration and hack the autonomous driving so that the car could be driven manually.

6. Supraman

Supraman Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    s2000 / Xterra Pro-4X
    Liked:
    If a hybrid varience is made I'm sure they'll make a non hybrid option as well (according to the latest rumors). I can see a group of buyers who will be happy with this new hybrid technology if the car comes close to 500 or more HP and find no need to modify the engine. DCT transmission option only.

The non hybrid would probably be offered in a manual and DCT and the car those looking to modify will most likely go with.

I'm hoping this is the outcome.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.