B58 Blown Engine Teardown

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
For anyone interested in what the guts of our motors look like (that haven't had their hands in them themselves):

There are a handful of channels on YouTube that do these, and I'm not familiar with this one, but he seems to be pretty entertaining while being informative at the same time.
Sponsored

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
For anyone interested in what the guts of our motors look like (that haven't had their hands in them themselves):

There are a handful of channels on YouTube that do these, and I'm not familiar with this one, but he seems to be pretty entertaining while being informative at the same time.

Whoever drove their car through standing water to cause the damage to the rods is an idiot unless they absolutely had to do it.

Cptnslo

First Name
Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MKV 3.0 Supra
Papadakis racing also has an incredible detailed video of the teardown and rebuild. 2-port though, not 6.
I loved his video super interesting

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I love that this dude is just impacting everything and letting it explode all over the place ?

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Papadakis racing also has an incredible detailed video of the teardown and rebuild. 2-port though, not 6.
The best number of ports.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Scandalous!
Two-port head spools faster, has better exhaust pulse pattern for twin scroll, and better thermal management d/t internal watercooled manifold.

tumblr_6bbc44c27f94f7066cc689509758a477_fddfe38c_250.gif

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Two-port head spools faster, has better exhaust pulse pattern for twin scroll, and better thermal management d/t internal watercooled manifold.

tumblr_6bbc44c27f94f7066cc689509758a477_fddfe38c_250.gif
I have zero engineering knowledge re: engines. However, based on my experience with other cars in the past, it leads me to believe that the overall potential power able to be pulled out of the motor with the 6 port is higher than the 2 port. Certainly nobody has tapped that yet given the ECU tuning options, but as more work is done in that area I expect it to change.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
I have zero engineering knowledge re: engines. However, based on my experience with other cars in the past, it leads me to believe that the overall potential power able to be pulled out of the motor with the 6 port is higher than the 2 port. Certainly nobody has tapped that yet given the ECU tuning options, but as more work is done in that area I expect it to change.
The early 6 ports were always tunable, FWIW.

OP
OP
underdonk

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
The early 6 ports were always tunable, FWIW.
True enough, though of course not for the 2022 cars as well, now. I think as a business proposition it's a tough call to put R&D into an expensive product, for a limited-run car, many of which now aren't (easily or cheaply) tunable. You're already looking at a small subset of a small number of cars, which may not (again, easily or cheaply) have the capabilities you need to have the product work. I can understand their desire to push development back a year or two on a kit for the 6 port version of the engine.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
True enough, though of course not for the 2022 cars as well, now. I think as a business proposition it's a tough call to put R&D into an expensive product, for a limited-run car, many of which now aren't (easily or cheaply) tunable. You're already looking at a small subset of a small number of cars, which may not (again, easily or cheaply) have the capabilities you need to have the product work. I can understand their desire to push development back a year or two on a kit for the 6 port version of the engine.
Totally right there. I had heard someone was going to slap a 6 port head on to a 2020, but I have no idea what happened with that.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Was this the one that got vapor locked and went boom?
Sponsored