B58 W2A Intercooler could leak?

tisdrew

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW 335i, Kouki s14
Vehicle Showcase
Found a thread documenting several people having an issue with the heat exchanger/w2a intercooler on their s55s.

"So about two weeks later I start the car in the morning drive train malfunction running rough but this time I don't shut it off and get out of the car to check under the hood and notice smoke coming out of the exhaust. I check the air to water resivoir again and its pretty much empty. So I'm thinking perfect busted intercooler core no big deal.

So I take it to the dealer the next day and tell them exactly whats going on. They say we will check it out, so the next day they pressure tested the intercooler and found it to be defective and leaking internally.

We wait a week for parts and I get a call yesterday, that they received the parts but when they go to start the car in the morning to pull it into the bay the motor is knocking.

I'm thinking they obviously put the car back together to not keep it on a lift for 5 days, the water from the intercooler drained into the engine and when they went to start it hydro locked the engine and bent a valve a rod. "

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1572223

In b4 bmw-bashing.
Sponsored

supraz4

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
S55s are based off of N55. B58 is definitely an improvement over N55 design so I'm not even sure if this issue is related to B58.
And my brother never had a single issue with his M4 with a tune while he had it.
Sponsored