Backup camera off center..?

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Noticed this after coming home from work. I have a few bumps on my commute but nothing crazy that I would attribute to literally adjusting the camera in its housing. Anybody have this issue? I went outside to check the camera lens and I want to say it’s off directionally but i can’t be sure because I’ve never looked too closely before.

Generally, I believe the leftmost portion of the image has always included an equal horizontal view of the rear bumper/diffuser where in this image it is oddly obscured on that side. It may be hard to tell in this photo but it did affect my parking to a degree based on me following the guide lines. I also worked four 12 hour shifts in a row so I might be insane
CC425B17-21EA-446E-9AF4-EEC416C90422.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Mine is this way as well. Maybe there's a way to calibrate it?

Phil3

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0 Pro
I’d be keen to know if there is a way we can calibrate them, the lines on mine are ever so slightly off centre and it’s quite annoying!

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I’d be keen to know if there is a way we can calibrate them, the lines on mine are ever so slightly off centre and it’s quite annoying!
It’s noticeable enough that I have to adjust my parking habit and the cues I rely on. I hate dealing with dealerships but I want to gather as much info before I think of talking to one about it

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
This, from the workshop manual, looks like it is glued in place with adhesive strips. Hence the recommendation for a heat source to remove the camera bracket.

If it is indeed glued in place, it could be that it has been installed a tad bit rotated if the cutout allows for margin of error.

1634735564546.png

FYI: If you're looking it up. The rear camera is also called "TELEVISION CAMERA ASSEMBLY".

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This, from the workshop manual, looks like it is glued in place with adhesive strips. Hence the recommendation for a heat source to remove the camera bracket.

If it is indeed glued in place, it could be that it has been installed a tad bit rotated if the cutout allows for margin of error.

1634735564546.png
Super helpful, I didn’t think of checking the service manual lol. Small stuff like this is such a drag.. just wondering if I should go to a Toyota dealership that I would trust 40 minutes away or just deal with it myself

B54

First Name
Bas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
Super helpful, I didn’t think of checking the service manual lol. Small stuff like this is such a drag.. just wondering if I should go to a Toyota dealership that I would trust 40 minutes away or just deal with it myself
The manual states removing the rear bumper assembly. Not sure if that is necessary though. Maybe a quick reheat of the area and twisting the camera from the outside might work as well. Watch out not to ruin your paint though (if careless) ;P

Looking at my own rear bumper, there seems to be a very very very tiny amount of wiggle room in the cutout for the rear camera.

rear.jpg

Please ignore the tasteful road juice

Judging by the look of the video in the vehicle it is installed straight though.

OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The manual states removing the rear bumper assembly. Not sure if that is necessary though. Maybe a quick reheat of the area and twisting the camera from the outside might work as well. Watch out not to ruin your paint though (if careless) ;P

Looking at my own rear bumper, there seems to be a very very very tiny amount of wiggle room in the cutout for the rear camera.

View attachment 53803
Please ignore the tasteful road juice

Judging by the look of the video in the vehicle it is installed straight though.
Have a feeling I fucked it up by slamming my trunk hatch down too hard or something lol. Thanks for the help!

• Haha
Reactions: B54
OP
OP
obito

obito

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update: this morning I tried to view the camera from the outside and it looks just as centered as yours. Regardless I tried to ooga booga it and move it myself and didn’t work. However I went to a touchless carwash that I regularly go to and it seems that the rear view image has been adjusted to a more centered angle via the water pressure as opposed to my own efforts. I’m not sure if this car wash is the culprit of the initial issue as the proximity and pressure of the water is high enough that it seems reasonable. The other wash I used to go to applied much lighter pressure and I might go there and see if anything changes. Here are some comparison photos for anyone else with the issue:
1E35C3B0-B100-4F1C-BCC6-766B1434993F.jpeg

BEE9E16C-8719-4EE5-8AD3-A5EB43CAFA43.jpeg
Sponsored

Reactions: B54