Battery replacement on new LE 2020?

JggyMKV

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota
Noticed a battery replacement light on instrument panel but engine startup and drive are normal? So far no dead battery issues? Is it a minor issue of taking it to dealer to just recode the system?
Sponsored

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
Did you install any electronics?

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
I got this same issue with my supra. The dealer is ordering a new battery for me. I tried charging the battery and the charger shows 100% fully charged but it still show to replace the battery.

20190826_065624.jpg

Supra Dupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MKV LE (Nocturnal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
I got this same issue with my supra. The dealer is ordering a new battery for me. I tried charging the battery and the charger shows 100% fully charged but it still show to replace the battery.

20190826_065624.jpg
You'd installed the Blackvue camera didn't you (I think this was yours)? I wonder what @jtsang25 was saying here could be true...

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The times I have commonly seen this on BMWs are:

1) when new cars are in a showroom and somebody either leaves a light on accidentally or there is so much activity with keyfobs that the car electronics are always coming on. One BMW I bought had this problem as soon as we drove it off the showroom floor, and got a new battery on the spot. BMW makes a special plug-in module that will prevent this since it's a common problem in showrooms with so many people walking around with BMW keys in their pockets.

2) when some electronics (dashcam, etc) are installed and keep drawing power after the car is off. The BMW ECU doesn't like to tolerate draws like this.

If it happens for a different reason then I'd suspect it's a legit message and the battery is either defective or maybe the car sat in port so long it took a toll on the battery. Some of these cars sat in port for 2-3 months.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You'd installed the Blackvue camera didn't you (I think this was yours)? I wonder what @jtsang25 was saying here could be true...
If that is true make sure the Blackvue battery pack was installed, so that the camera is not drawing from the car battery when the engine is off. A bunch of people on the BMW forums found out the hard way it's a bad idea.

OP
OP

JggyMKV

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota

Exact same message and indicator light I have. Time to pay Toyota a visit?

20190826_065624.jpg

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Did anyone who's having issues with their battery install third party electronics and are they hard wired to your car? I'm having second thoughts about ripping my trunk apart to get it hard wired.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Yes but we put a device where it monitors the voltage being drawn from the battery. If it hit a certain level it will turn off the cameras.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
If that is true make sure the Blackvue battery pack was installed, so that the camera is not drawing from the car battery when the engine is off. A bunch of people on the BMW forums found out the hard way it's a bad idea.
The installer said the separate battery is not needed as it has the device to monitor the battery from hitting the low. I also charged it back up but the light still on.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The installer said the separate battery is not needed as it has the device to monitor the battery from hitting the low. I also charged it back up but the light still on.
Yeah, that guy was wrong and should have known better. The BMW ECU has a very low tolerance for this. You definitely need the separate battery pack on a BMW and also the Supra.

POS VETT

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Tacoma SR 4X4 V6, '20 Terrain SLE, '11 370Z Sport, '9 Eclipse GS, 8 Corvette Z06
Whatever you do, just be careful. The battery costs around $500 from a Toyota dealer.

RRKnight

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus NCX200T F Sport
Yeah, that guy was wrong and should have known better. The BMW ECU has a very low tolerance for this. You definitely need the separate battery pack on a BMW and also the Supra.
I've also tried unplugging the cameras after a full charge and the lights still come on. I will have to see when the dealer swap the battery to see if it will happen again. It's still under warranty so it will be covered for now.

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Even 15 years ago BMW had a very sophisticated system that categorized various onboard electronics and accessories into groups. Some could demand only so much and would get shut off, others could draw until the battery was drained. This was fairly well documented. Perhaps something got wired in that is on a circuit that gets all the demand it wants.

Does anyone know or can they check if the battery is BMW? They manufacture their own and there’s smart electronics in the battery (again for at least 15 years) that allows the systems to pull harder on the battery as it gets older and has reduced output (to keep up with the demand of the systems). This means a service reset when a new battery is installed and you have to use OEM.
Sponsored