Best Automatic? GM 10sp vs ZF 8sp

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Iā€™ve driven the 10 speed Camaro SS, 10 Speed Mustang GT, 8 Speed ZF in the 392/Hellcat Charger, and now the ZF 8 in the Supra.

From my personal experience they are all great automatics but my preference is the ZF. The 10 speed Mustang and Camaro shifted very violently and weā€™re not smooth jerked a lot Between shifts. The ZF in the 392, Hellcat, and Supra are far superior in my opinion as they were smoother and just as quick to shift which was more enjoyable to me. I believe the hellcat has a more beefed up version of the ZF compared to the 392 but the exact same characteristics when i drove it.

Worst Automatic was the 8L90 in my old C7 Z06 the upā€™s shift were dual clutch fast but the downshifts very laggy. The paddle shifters were also useless as there was a 1-2 second delay from hitting the paddle to up/down shift to when the tranny actually shifted so you would have to shift in advance to avoid hitting the limiter. Biggest disappointment as that tainted my hero car as Iā€™ve always been a vette fanboy since i was little the 7 speed manual is the only way to go for a C7!!!

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
^^^Totally agree about the 8sp auto in C7. I have a C7 7sp manual!
Iā€™m looking to get back into either a C6 ZR-1 or another C7 Z06 sometime in next year but the 7 speed is a must! I watch your Chanel also the laguna blue is beautiful :)

Supraboi7

First Name
Johnny Boi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
GM 10 speed isnā€™t bad, but ZF 8 speed is better. Might be the best automatic out right now maybe with the exception of the Porsche PDK, those are wicked fast

Insomniac

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra Premium GR
I had the A10 in my 2019 Mustang GT, I had issues for years where it would randomly shift like crap. It would have severe transmission flare between 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd as well, acting like it was in neutral when letting off the Gas and getting back on it at low speeds.

December of last year Ford did a TSB flash and valve body tweaks. I ended up buying a Steeda Tune and it fixed the consistent transmission flare, but it reintroduced a random extreme flare from 1 to 2 when the transmission was cold on the first shift of the day. It literally went from 1st to what felt like neutral, then second kicked in a few seconds later, you'd think I neutral dropped the transmission.

That coupled with what sounded like a knock at idle when hot, transmission whine, 2k to 2800 RPM, both of which Ford would only say is normal are part of the reason why I sold it. I could start the car up and let it idle for about 20 minutes, shut the engine down for about another 20 and the rattle (Sounded more like piston slap) would not show up.

Anyways, I really like this ZF8, it shifts much better than the A10 in my opinion.

Richard

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi, Jeep
I'm more of a manual transmission guy, but I will say that my buddy's 10-speed automatic Mustang GT is amazing. I've never driven an automatic car that shifts quite like that car. Ford just got it right I guess. The car is never in the wrong gear and will hit the shifts hard when you're on it and smoothly when you're not. I still want a stick though :headbang:
Sponsored