Bmw aftermarket taxes?

Discussion in 'B58 6-Cyl Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Bolt-Ons' started by tonyng92, May 29, 2019.

1. tonyng92

tonyng92 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    E93 M3 F82 M4
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Hey,
    Do you guys think aftermarket will price supra parts like they do with BMW parts? Example, some bmw intake can cost between $500-1000. Full exhaust are like 3k-6k

DesmoSD likes this.
  2. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    I don't think the BMW tax is nearly as bad as Supra tax. Yeah companies to have the first product on the market will always have a premium but that won't last long due to competition

zeenon53 likes this.
  3. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2018 4Runner Off-Road, 2017 Mk7 Golf TSI, 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4, 2020 AZW Supra on Order
    Liked:
    Doubt it, I see the Japanese tuning companies have already made prototype parts, and they rarely have the over-inflated prices.

DesmoSD likes this.
  4. DesmoSD

DesmoSD Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
    Liked:
    It's all relative to how extensive your build is since there are a lot more Supra aftermarket parts in comparison to BMW. If you want to keep it simple as BPU, Supra parts are a lot cheaper.

https://www.inductionperformance.com/collections/93-98-toyota-supra-mkiv

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/supramkiv9398.html

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/

https://www.mvpmotorsports.com/engine

https://www.powerhouseracing.com/section/86/toyota-supra-tt-1993-1998

5. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    G37s, 325e
    Liked:
    Let’s not forget economies of scale with these. An E90 3 series is dirt cheap to modify because of all the replica parts manufacturers in China, where as a brand new X5 M will cost a premium to modify

tisdrew and DesmoSD like this.
  6. ichitaka05

ichitaka05 Moderator

Car(s):
    BRZ
    Liked:
    Look it this way, there will be shops that only worked on BMW coming to play that might bring BMW taxes... but at the same time, there will be shops that only worked on Toyota come to play and might have lower taxes. Plus there will be new shops come to play as well, so first year or so will have huge difference on price between shops, but after 2~3yrs, price for most of the parts will be close within few hundreds (of course price will vary w materials they use).

Powaup and DesmoSD like this.
  7. DesmoSD

Car(s):
    Liked:
    Unfortunately, that's the sad truth. After those patents have long expired and outsourced manufacturing to Taiwan, China and HK, that's the result of "ebay" parts. The discussion of quality is whole different topic but those parts help reduce cost.

True. Having more options of parts coming out of Germany and Japan will help lower the overall BMW Tax esp the stuff coming out of Japan. Their parts are of a higher quality yet priced moderately compared to the stuff coming out of Germany that is higher priced yet lower quality. Japan is going to control the aftermarket in a positive manner that will affect the German aftermarket to adjust their prices.

Powaup, Illsic_Design and tonyng92 like this.
  8. tisdrew

tisdrew Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 335i
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    If you want to see real "tax" for aftermarket parts, just look at GTRs and MK4 supras. I've modded a BMW and yeah it's more expensive than my 240sx but it's nothing to a mk4 supra -- they're crazy expensive to modify.

DesmoSD and Bryster like this.
  9. Powaup

Powaup Active Member

First Name:
    Clyde
    Car(s):
    BMW M235i
    Liked:
    What?! Really?? A calved cat-back exhaust on an M4 is like $3,500-$5,000. Are we talking those kind of numbers?

DesmoSD likes this.
  10. tisdrew

tisdrew Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    BMW 335i
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    There are exhausts outside the premium products of Armytrix and Akrapovic for M cars... They're in the standard 1-2k range or less (~750) if you're fine with an axle-back unit. In the n54 world, most exhausts are $600-1300 which doesn't seem unreasonable. As far as 3-5k for an exhaust, that's par for the course for GTRs and I hope we don't see that premium on the MK5.

DesmoSD likes this.
  11. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    J
    Car(s):
    2018 4Runner Off-Road, 2017 Mk7 Golf TSI, 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4, 2020 AZW Supra on Order
    Liked:
    I never put an exhaust on my M3 because the prices were absolutely stupid for what is essentially a metal tube.

tonyng92 likes this.
  12. Powaup

Powaup Active Member

First Name:
    Clyde
    Car(s):
    BMW M235i
    Liked:
    That makes 2 of us. Although I wish I had done downpipes, for 3-500 they change up the tone really well

tonyng92 likes this.
  13. DesmoSD

Car(s):
    Liked:
    What exactly are you referring to that is nothing like a MKIV Supra? Honestly, most builds can get expensive but Japanese cars in general are cheaper compared to German cars when it comes to builds. Here is a 1200hp cost breakdown. Sure it'll add up quickly but it's not much off compared to a K20 engine with 2 less cyl.

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/blog/clays-1200whp-3-4l-6spd-76mm-street-supra

https://www.realstreetperformance.com/blog/brandon-wilbur-1000hp-k20a2-mr2-nsx-build-recipe/