BMW finally announces Android Auto integration is coming in 2020

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/11/21009806/bmw-android-auto-2020-wireless-compatibility-carplay

BMW is finally going to start integrating Android Auto into its cars starting in July 2020, the automaker announced Wednesday. And not only that, but it will be wireless Android Auto, making BMW one of the few automakers to offer Google’s smartphone-powered in-car infotainment option without requiring owners to plug in.

Android Auto will appear on all BMW vehicles equipped the 7.0 version of the company’s in-car software (iDrive) and the company’s “Live Cockpit Professional” hardware (a fancy name for “the biggest touchscreens”), which are available on all 2019 / 2020 3 Series, 5 Series, 7 Series, and 8 Series sedans, as well as the newest X3, X5, and X7 SUVs. (It will also be available on the 2020 X6 SUV.) Since it’s the wireless version of Android Auto, owners will have to use Pixel, Nexus, or Samsung smartphones.

BMW is one of the last major automakers holding out on Android Auto, especially after Toyota announced earlier this year that it was finally adding the functionality (along with Apple CarPlay) in some of its own 2020 models. BMW has offered Apple’s CarPlay for a few years now, but the automaker actually charged owners an extra fee to use it — until last week when it finally reversed that decision.

As for why it took so long to embrace Android Auto, a BMW spokesperson says a “majority of our customers were using iOS mobile devices” over the last few years, so “Apple CarPlay was our main focus.” But, that spokesperson says, BMW customers “have made it clear though that they would like to have Android Auto integration available going forward which that leads us to today’s announcement.”
finally? who knows if this will be ported over to us.
Sponsored

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
The Supra runs iDrive 6, so it probably won't get the upgrade according to what that article says.

OP
OP
XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I was afraid of that, wasn't sure of Supra's version. oh well fingers crossed :)

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
75241098_10157591927980115_5050745969453301760_o.jpg

An email I received from Toyota.
As if Toyota of Japan would have anything to do with it! That person doesn't seem to understand that the Supra has no software in common with the rest of the Toyota line, so it's not even relevant what Toyota has done with other models.

Kaizen

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
As if Toyota of Japan would have anything to do with it! That person doesn't seem to understand that the Supra has no software in common with the rest of the Toyota line, so it's not even relevant what Toyota has done with other models.
True, but Toyota has been behind the scenes with BMW since the beginning of the Supra project. I would suspect they would have accounted for something like this. Toyota likes to think ahead with their products lifespan. I'm an Android user, so I'd like to have this feature..

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
Simple small upgrades hopefully like Android Auto is why I'm trying to hold off for a 2021 model.

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/toyota-supra-bmw-android-auto-idrive/

Toyota Supra won't get Android Auto, even though future BMWs will
Toyota isn't planning to upgrade to BMW's iDrive 7 infotainment tech.

The co-developed BMW Z4 and Toyota Supra sports cars share a number of things, from engines to suspension parts to interior switchgear. But while the Z4 uses BMW's latest iDrive 7 infotainment tech, the Supra relies on the German company's iDrive 6 software. And that isn't going to change.

That's especially important to note now, as BMW recently announced it'll begin offering Android Auto on its iDrive 7-equipped cars in July -- wirelessly, too. Android Auto is not included with iDrive 6, including the Supra, meaning Toyota's coupe won't be available with this smartphone-mirroring tech. Meanwhile, Apple CarPlay is standard.

"We're always looking to see what's possible," Ben Haushalter, Toyota's senior manager of vehicle product planning, told Roadshow in a press conference Monday. But the company has no immediate plans to put iDrive 7 tech in the Supra, and Haushalter said it isn't a priority.

"We're collecting customer feedback to see if that's something they're interested in," Haushalter said. "We visited over a dozen dealers ... we met with owners. Honestly, the Android Auto question hasn't come up as huge detractors so far."

Cabin tech aside, the Supra heads into the 2021 model year with some significant upgrades, including a new 2.0-liter turbo I4 model and more power for the 3.0-liter twin-turbo I6. That's apparently only the beginning for the Supra, too, so who knows, maybe the company will change its mind regarding infotainment options.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
"We're collecting customer feedback" the same way they collected feedback about having a manual which means we won't get android auto. I switched to iPhone just because of CarPlay recently but I'm noticing more cons than pros (I'm a long time Android user and might switch back).

BMW doesn't want to share iDrive 7 since its their tech the same way they don't really want to share their S58 M powered engine (built on B58) tech with Toyota.

after doing some light research it's easy enough just to buy a tablet for Android Auto. There's even an app that you can use to share your phone's data with the tablet (or just get a tablet with data).

Last edited:
OP
OP
XtremeMaC

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Never seen any questionnaire asking about Android Auto.
I'd love to have AA and not use an external tablet in a small cabin vehicle...
Sponsored