BMW insider: "385 hp Supra model is coming"

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
Didn't know where else to post this, but figured you would all want to know this.

ynguldyn said:
So, I have a request for whoever has connections in the Supra circles. Please tell those guys that all that BS by Toyota engineers about 335hp being just the right amount of power for the car was just that - BS. The 385hp version (matching the US Z4 M40i) is coming. It will be sold in the U.S. and the countries not subject to Euro emissions regulations: Korea, Japan, Russia, Gulf states.
Not sure on how soon and if he is speaking on the GRMN model or not. Hopefully he will divulge more info.

For those of you that don't know who that is, he is a BMW insider on the bimmerpost forums. He knows all the info on upcoming models before most anyone else and constantly updates the BMW world on updates/new models. https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686&page=100

4Ifj7OA.jpg
Sponsored

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
If that is true it might be worth waiting for to get the different head on the supra.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah we already knew a 400PS version was coming, Tada-San told us this months ago. Also the 335hp is enough for the car, it's plenty fast right now. The chassis will happily take the power bump tho.

Understand that Toyota is playing this in such a way to keep sales going over the next few years. This means power bumps, new colors and trims, maybe a manual even, and of course a proper hot version at some point. I think we all already knew this though, no?

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Yeah we already knew a 400PS version was coming, Tada-San told us this months ago. Also the 335hp is enough for the car, it's plenty fast right now. The chassis will happily take the power bump tho.

Understand that Toyota is playing this in such a way to keep sales going over the next few years. This means power bumps, new colors and trims, maybe a manual even, and of course a proper hot version at some point. I think we all already knew this though, no?
Two questions. 1. Do you know its coming? 2. This isn't the GRMN Supra correct?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Two questions. 1. Do you know its coming? 2. This isn't the GRMN Supra correct?
Tada-San wouldn't tell us that he's got a higher output version in development if it wasn't coming. And as far as I know, no this isn't the GRMN. I haven't heard anything about the GRMN in fact.

spamthechan

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Prius V, Porsche Boxster
And from what I remember reading in another interview, these incremental power bumps will also be able to be retrofitted to older cars?

Otherwise I see resale values of these cars plummeting real fast.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Tada-San wouldn't tell us that he's got a higher output version in development if it wasn't coming. And as far as I know, no this isn't the GRMN. I haven't heard anything about the GRMN in fact.
That wasn't what I meant to ask. I forgot to add "when".

fixed
1. Do you know when its coming?

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
And from what I remember reading in another interview, these incremental power bumps will also be able to be retrofitted to older cars?

Otherwise I see resale values of these cars plummeting real fast.
Yeah, Tada-San said all upgrades will be backward-compatible with older cars

OP
OP
Illsic_Design

Illsic_Design

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E92 335i N54, 4G63T Mighty Max
I am well aware that everyone has known a more powerful version is coming, but him stating this now and the way he did makes it seem like it may be coming sooner than we expected. Just my interpretation, could be way off base

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
I am well aware that everyone has known a more powerful version is coming, but him stating this now and the way he did makes it seem like it may be coming sooner than we expected. Just my interpretation, could be way off base
I don't think it makes any sense to release a more powerful version 1-2 years after the car's release, and I never got any indication of that being the case talking to Tada-San or Toyota USA. They're gonna play this smart to maximize sales. So they'll release a more powerful version when sales need some sort of catalyst. They may have it all ready to go before the end of 2019, but I still don't think you'll see it til the 2023 MY at least.

scoates

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 GT86, 2020 Supra A90 Edition, 2021 GR Yaris
If they do this and make the parts backwards compatible to launch cars, available from the dealers/Toyota directly, and since fitted to the newer cars from factory make it so that it doesn't void any remaining warranty, I think they'll really be on to a winner.
Sponsored