BMW M Boss Says “Never Say Never” To M3-Powered Toyota Supra

Discussion in 'General Supra Topics' started by The Lurker, Jul 13, 2019.

1. The Lurker

The Lurker Active Member

Car(s):
    2017 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400
    Liked:
    Despite BMW and Toyota insisting that, after agreeing on basic requirements, they then went their separate ways in developing their new sports cars, things certainly don’t look that way; and one more clue is the fact that the the new Supra might, eventually, get the next M3’s engine.

Autocar recently had the opportunity to sit down with M Division president Markus Flasch and asked whether the new twin-turbo 3.0-liter six-cylinder from the X3 M and X4 M, which will soon find its way in the brand-new M3, could also find be used in the Supra.

“We’ve certainly made no offer to supply the engine to Toyota – and no request has been made, as far as I know,” he said. “But it’s an interesting idea, if unlikely for now. It would be a lot for us to give away, you might say. But I’d never say never.”

While we’re sure many Supra enthusiasts would be intrigued at the possibility of a near-500 HP version of the Japanese sports car, Flasch indicated that it’s unlikely to happen, at least while the X3 M and X4 M’s S58 engine is still in its infancy.

“As a rule, we don’t offer BMW M engines to third parties because we consider them such a strength of our cars,” he said. “I think it would be a hard decision for a lot of the team to accept – particularly with the S58 being so new. Why would we sell it before we had a chance to use it ourselves in all the places we plan to?”

Powering both the current Supra and the BMW Z4 M40i is the B58 3.0-liter, single turbo straight-six. While the Toyota’s 335 HP might not sound like an awful lot for a rear-wheel drive sports car in 2019, dyno runs have revealed that it likely pumps out closer to 380 HP, propelling it to 62 mph (100 km/h) in 4.1 seconds.

A more powerful variant, complete with two turbochargers and upwards of 500 HP, could be just what Toyota needs to win over those remaining diehard Supra fans still not convinced by the new car.

Still, with the long-awaited sports car selling like hot cakes right now, and BMW not willing to share its latest mill just yet we don’t expect that to happen anytime soon (if at all..). The mid-life cycle revamp, which is at least three to four years, if not more, into the future, or a special hardcore variant to spice up interest, would be the logical choice – but, then again, you never know.

https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/bmw-m-boss-says-never-say-never-to-m3-powered-toyota-supra/

KahnBB6, XtremeMaC and supraboi like this.
  2. Diggz92

Diggz92 New Member

First Name:
    Denzel
    Car(s):
    Acura TL
    Liked:
    As nice as that sounds but I think Toyota should just do their magic on this engine instead of using BMWs or at least try

BobDigi5060, Bryster and The Lurker like this.
  3. supraboi

supraboi Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Vu
    Car(s):
    GS300
    Liked:
    I think if it were to happen it would be a few years down the road where BMW is already working on the next best thing and the S58 was yesterday's news.

Illsic_Design, Jabba and XtremeMaC like this.
  4. zakira

zakira Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    5, JBH D09, Metro, Uber and Lyft :(
    Liked:
    It's like the Supra will always get the hand me downs. BMW's stepchild.

5. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    It would only be hand me downs if they got the B58M0 or S55 lmao

RyanGT3RS likes this.
  6. justbake

justbake Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    F10 535i, E30 325e
    Liked:
    I called this awhile ago, after the M3/M4 get released the Supra will have it's opportunity. The real question is if the M3/M4 get a manual option

The Lurker and KahnBB6 like this.
  7. scoates

scoates Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    2015 GT86, Supra A90 Edition on order!
    Liked:
    I wonder how difficult an S58 swap would be down the line. Surely it would be a similar ECU programming type thing to the B58 since they're both BMW so would it be possible for just a more simple swap and remap with a couple of supporting mods? Will be interesting to see what's possible a few years down the line...

justbake likes this.
  8. Kaahari

Kaahari Member

Car(s):
    Supra mkiv -93
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    #8 Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Nah,

Toyota shoud just get those dusty 2jz block molds from Tahara plant old warehouse. Put in fully forged internals, design new head and engine management to meet today standards ;)

twntrbo03' likes this.
  9. Bryster

Bryster Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Bryan
    Car(s):
    Nothing,considering a Civic DX
    Liked:
    If the 86 didn't upgrade it's engine, the Supra won't either

The Lurker likes this.
  10. F1 Silver Arrows

F1 Silver Arrows Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
    Liked:
    LOL. If it was that easy then they wouldn't have even started with a "dusty 2JZ block molds". They would have built a completely new engine and would have commissioned it for this one car.

Oxytal likes this.
  11. Novice_Mentality

Novice_Mentality Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
    Liked:
    Control Systems Engineer
    Different market though. 86 was trying to market to the affordable sports car. An M powered supra would be the "GR" version. Limited numbers, higher price, etc.

I personally don't think it would happen though. Toyota would then get that engine, perform even more R&D to make sure the engine is up to Toyota Standards. Pricey pricey pricey.

12. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    AE86, GSE21
    Liked:
    Engineering Student
    There aren’t dusty 2JZ moulds. They still cast 2JZ blocks.

Jeff

A70TTR and KahnBB6 like this.
  13. Oxytal

Oxytal Member

Car(s):
    MR2 SW20
    Liked:
    I thought Toyota discontinued it's JZ line, and to a greater extent it's inline-6 family years ago which is why the Supra doesn't have a JZ family engine

14. Jeff Lange

Jeff Lange Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Jeff
    Car(s):
    AE86, GSE21
    Liked:
    Engineering Student
    Replacement parts are still produced for older cars.

Jeff

A70TTR, KahnBB6 and F1 Silver Arrows like this.
  15. KahnBB6

KahnBB6 Well-Known Member

Car(s):
    '93 Lexus SC300 5-speed 2JZGTE R154 LSD
    Liked:
    ^^ This. Thank you Jeff. NEW Toyotas have not been produced with JZ engines for years now and never will be again but Toyota still makes replacement JZ blocks and short block assemblies, various JZ heads and many, many other parts for them and to an extent some of the parts for vehicles that originally came with JZ engines.

F1 Silver Arrows likes this.