Boom and scraping sound

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Was driving on a local road the other day when i heard a "boom" sounded like something broke loose followed by this "weird scraping sound" like a tick, tick, tick, followed by a bit of instability. When I got to a stop light I pulled over and checked the car..NOTHING! no leaks, no exterior damage. Checked under the hood and couldn't find anything wrong visually. I got back in the car and it started fine. No CEL
Now it is driving normally (so far)
Cause for concern? Should I take it to dealer and have them check it out?
Sponsored

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Was driving on a local road the other day when i heard a "boom" sounded like something broke loose followed by this "scraping sound" I thought it was the car behind me but when I got about half a mile down I realized it was me. When I got to a stop light I pulled over and checked the car..NOTHING! no leaks, no exterior damage. Checked under the hood and couldn't find anything wrong. I got back in and it started fine. No CEL
Now it is driving normally (so far)
Cause for concern? Should I take it to dealer and have them check it out?
You probably hit something in traffic, the item went right under the undercarriage, rattled for a bit, then flew out the back. If you canā€™t see any damage and the car doesnā€™t feel any different, I wouldnā€™t worry so much. If youā€™re super paranoid, put the car on ramps or jack stands and visually inspect it yourself :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Neo1967

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Thanks man yea scared the s*it out of me when it happened! Thought I blew up the turbo or something! LOL!

SupraMKV2.0

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twinskrulldesign.com
Car(s)
2023 M550i, 2023 M340i, 2021 Supra
Iā€™d still give the undercarriage a solid look through, but sometimes a rock will get wedged between your rotor and dust shield...then itā€™ll fire out of there like slug leaving a shotgun. The whole ordeal makes a ton of noise.

OP
OP
Neo1967

Neo1967

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra
Iā€™d still give the undercarriage a solid look through, but sometimes a rock will get wedged between your rotor and dust shield...then itā€™ll fire out of there like slug leaving a shotgun. The whole ordeal makes a ton of noise.
Thanks hoping it was nothing and looking today at the undercarriage and engine bay didn't appear to see anything out of place. No leaks or anything unusual.
Sponsored