Bought my Supra today! Yay! Wait! What?

FaTTy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Gr
So like is says I bought my supra toady very nice 3.0 premium in grey. I'm happy! Parked it in the drive way for 3 to 4 hours. Went to put it into the garage. Started it let it idle for 45 secs. I wasn't trying race with it just put it into the garage. Took it out of park. Into reverse. Car dies. I'm like wait what? Start the car again. Put it in reverse and step on the gas it dies again. At this point I'm a little mad to say the least. Now I restart it plant my foot on the floor and it putters like it's dieing to 1000 ram and dies again. Now I'm super pissed like I just bought this piece of ****. Finally start it get it backed into the garage it now has a not so nice check engine light. I will have to look into in the morning.

20210329_135331.jpg
Sponsored

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Well that's no bueno. Out of curiosity, did you buy it new or used? Either way I'd take it to the dealer.

Escapist

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 2016 Yamaha R1
Definitely take it to the dealer, hopefully its something simple like the battery since the car has been sitting for a year.

OP
OP

FaTTy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Gr
Definitely take it to the dealer, hopefully its something simple like the battery since the car has been sitting for a year.
I will if it starts in the morning I plan on dropping it off there they can deal with it

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
So like is says I bought my supra toady very nice 3.0 premium in grey. I'm happy! Parked it in the drive way for 3 to 4 hours. Went to put it into the garage. Started it let it idle for 45 secs. I wasn't trying race with it just put it into the garage. Took it out of park. Into reverse. Car dies. I'm like wait what? Start the car again. Put it in reverse and step on the gas it dies again. At this point I'm a little mad to say the least. Now I restart it plant my foot on the floor and it putters like it's dieing to 1000 ram and dies again. Now I'm super pissed like I just bought this piece of ****. Finally start it get it backed into the garage it now has a not so nice check engine light. I will have to look into in the morning.

20210329_135331.jpg
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/wouldnt-rev-after-starting.6460/

Read that thread sounds like the same issue. I would most definitely take it to the dealer.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Car dies. I'm like wait what? I will have to look into in the morning.
~ check the gas cap to assure it’s tight ... this can sometimes create this issue.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
That’s definitely not suppose to happen. Do you have an OBD scanner to see what codes appear? I wonder if the battery connection has some buildup. Some of these cars have been sitting over 200 days at dealerships. Let us know what you find.

-RJM

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
Maybe bad gas? Definitely let the dealer figure this out. Out of curiosity, what is the build date?

OP
OP

FaTTy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Gr
That’s definitely not suppose to happen. Do you have an OBD scanner to see what codes appear? I wonder if the battery connection has some buildup. Some of these cars have been sitting over 200 days at dealerships. Let us know what you find.

-RJM
This one may have been at a dealership for a little while but I dont think it has been there long they only had 3 total at this deal
Also no I don't have a scanner yet I'm guessing if this keeps up I will be needing one

OP
OP

FaTTy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra Gr
Bad gas is a possibility. Was the gas tank filled or did the dealer top it off when you took delivery?
They "topped it off for me" I even mentioned this to the salesman and he's like "I don't think they would put cheap gas in they know better" on a side note I truly hope it's something simple and easy

autopc25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
push cart
They "topped it off for me" I even mentioned this to the salesman and he's like "I don't think they would put cheap gas in they know better" on a side note I truly hope it's something simple and easy
Hopefully it's something simple. A car failing at less than 100 miles is unacceptable. Toyota should be embarrassed. Definitely call Toyota and ask to speak with a regional rep to tell them about your dissatisfaction. Ask for a free extended warranty for your inconvenience. Or a couple of months car payments. This is common practice. I sent you a PM by the way. I had a question about your purchase. Good luck.
Sponsored