Brake Pad Discussion - Don't take R1 Ceramic to track day!

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Clearly you’ve never driven with me. 😂

And you can take your car to the track and enjoy it without it being a time attack machine. If you’re goal is purely time attack the pads are the least of your worries.

-RJM

sure come on down to NJMP or lime rock.:lol:
Advertisement

VA90

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Does anyone have recommendations for a pad for street and occasional track use? CSG CP seems highly regarded but wondering what other options are worth considering. I don't mind a high-dust pad--more hoping for a nice bite and better feedback over the stock pads. But I am hoping for a pad that isn't noisy.

Afterfire

First Name
Ruben
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2006 S2000, 2013 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Some things in mind as I read the conversation about people having different intents when tracking regarding use of performance street pads vs. track pads. The lower capacity pads like Hawk HPS and HP+ have their place and I would say their place shouldnt be more than street and autocross course. I totally understand not wanting to spend $500+ on brake pads when youre not trying to compete and just want to get some HPDE sessions in. Pads like the HP+ are like a double edged sword; they're relatively inexpensive and, out of the box, they feel better because of the immediate bite and performance in low heat range experienced on the street. When you get on the track and actually start treating them like a track pad, they turn into a street pad with fading and boiling brake fluid. Now the argument turns to seat time. How hard or fast do you have to drive to go beyond the limits of the pad? Its hard to say, but for me personally, the cost of registering, traveling, track insurance and other logistics, I wouldnt want to be at the beginning or halfway through a day/weekend event when I find out I cant do full sessions or drive as fast as I can because of my pads. Id just be babysitting the car around track or losing session time which can be expensive and cost more than the difference if a track pad was purchased. There are a lot of success stories about the HP+'s but the ones who are still on them for multiple events tend to have 2 of the 3 qualities: low weight, low power, slow times. The supra doesnt like any of those lol

My experience with pads on the Supra:
-OEM pads/tires: Faded in 2 laps on a ~1m40s track, moderate bite and progressive modulation up to fading
-RT660's,Carbotech XP20 f/r: No fading on a brake heavy ~1m50s track but no noticeable initial bite or progressive feel. It just steady decel from beginning to end when on the pedal.

I dont know if I should try something else on the supra as I dont dislike the xp20's, I just wish there was more bite and progressive modulation. Ill be on them again at Road Atlanta in a couple weeks but maybe CSG f/r after.

*previous experienced pads over 4 years on a street class TT non-aero S2000 200tw tires/~2800lbs/stock drivetrain
-OE Honda pad: irrelevant
-Hawk HP+: Used on my second track event, boiled rf600 at the end of every session, immediate bite but faded after about 4 laps on a brake heavy ~2 minute track, the daily noise made me take them off asap
-Gloc r12/10: good daily on blank rotors if you dont care about wear, decent bite and good modulation, no noise when bedded
-Gloc r16/r12: much less street use, same as above but r16 were more aggressive. Faded r16's as I got faster on brake heavy tracks
-Carbotech xp20 /Gloc r12: little street use, current setup, performs reliably every time with good bite, no fade

gcmak

Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Does anyone have recommendations for a pad for street and occasional track use? CSG CP seems highly regarded but wondering what other options are worth considering. I don't mind a high-dust pad--more hoping for a nice bite and better feedback over the stock pads. But I am hoping for a pad that isn't noisy.
I'm one of the few who run CSG CP pads front/rear and keep them in the car between autox, HPDE, and regular driving. I've found their temp limits at Laguna Seca but that's to be expected from street/track pad - though they never did fade or let me down - a bit of smearing began to occur as I exceeded their ideal temp range.

They dust far less than the OEM pads. I like to detail my cars and what I appreciate about the CP pads is not only do they dust less, the dust is far easier to clean - easiest short of ceramic pads I've used in the past.

They're totally fine to run on the daily - you might have initial brake noise when cold (though OEM pads do too), and they can rattle a bit in the caliper on slower/bumpy surfaces as they're not adhered to the pistons like the OEM pads are. The bite on the street is nicer than OEM - they're progressive, without the jerkiness of overly grabby factory pads.

Lastly the wear. They just last. Multiple events later and having gone through tires, the pads are 50%+ remaining.

I'm just one data point but I'll be sticking with the brand and likely swapping my fronts out for C1/C21 pads but leaving the CPs in the rear till they wear out (since I haven't experienced any smearing/issues in the rear yet).

EDIT:
oops, realized i commented on this thread in the beginning already but my opinion hasn't changed and I've done more events since and one more this coming Friday.

Advertisement

Advertisement