Brake Pad Discussion - Don't take R1 Ceramic to track day!

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Clearly you’ve never driven with me. 😂

And you can take your car to the track and enjoy it without it being a time attack machine. If you’re goal is purely time attack the pads are the least of your worries.

-RJM

sure come on down to NJMP or lime rock.:lol:
Advertisement

VA90

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Does anyone have recommendations for a pad for street and occasional track use? CSG CP seems highly regarded but wondering what other options are worth considering. I don't mind a high-dust pad--more hoping for a nice bite and better feedback over the stock pads. But I am hoping for a pad that isn't noisy.

gcmak

Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Does anyone have recommendations for a pad for street and occasional track use? CSG CP seems highly regarded but wondering what other options are worth considering. I don't mind a high-dust pad--more hoping for a nice bite and better feedback over the stock pads. But I am hoping for a pad that isn't noisy.
I'm one of the few who run CSG CP pads front/rear and keep them in the car between autox, HPDE, and regular driving. I've found their temp limits at Laguna Seca but that's to be expected from street/track pad - though they never did fade or let me down - a bit of smearing began to occur as I exceeded their ideal temp range.

They dust far less than the OEM pads. I like to detail my cars and what I appreciate about the CP pads is not only do they dust less, the dust is far easier to clean - easiest short of ceramic pads I've used in the past.

They're totally fine to run on the daily - you might have initial brake noise when cold (though OEM pads do too), and they can rattle a bit in the caliper on slower/bumpy surfaces as they're not adhered to the pistons like the OEM pads are. The bite on the street is nicer than OEM - they're progressive, without the jerkiness of overly grabby factory pads.

Lastly the wear. They just last. Multiple events later and having gone through tires, the pads are 50%+ remaining.

I'm just one data point but I'll be sticking with the brand and likely swapping my fronts out for C1/C21 pads but leaving the CPs in the rear till they wear out (since I haven't experienced any smearing/issues in the rear yet).

EDIT:
oops, realized i commented on this thread in the beginning already but my opinion hasn't changed and I've done more events since and one more this coming Friday.

Nocturnal LE

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE
Sounds like the 2 pads to consider for street and track is CSG CP and Hawk HPS. Any other ones to consider?

kyippee

First Name
Ken
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2011 E92 M3
Hawk pads are not very good - skip those imho. Ferodo DS2500 is another street/track pad. It's not an amazing track pad, but it's been better than stock on the E92 M3 platform while being street friendly. Some copy pasta:

Ferodo DS2500:
The DS2500 is currently the best hybrid track/street pad on the market. It features the moderately high bite and solid fade resistance of a track pad, with the relatively low dust and noise levels of a street pad. When used as a street pad, it can produce some squeal on certain vehicle platforms. During aggressive driving the DS2500 is known for its flat torque curve, which means as temperatures go up, the response through the brake pedal remains consistent. If you drive aggressively on the street, do some canyon runs, autoX, and maybe some light track duty on street tires, the DS2500 is tough to beat. "
My supra is a light track car on the side, with daily driving being the main usage. I have another car for lap times. Eventually it will be my track car when I sell my other car.

I have some stuff on the way, but I will try Stoptech Trophy Sport 380x32mm front BBK + Verus front brake ducts + DS2500 pads along with stock rear calipers and pads. Tires will be either my stock PSS or Conti ECF. The idea is that I'll try to keep the pad temperatures low enough to avoid rapid pad wear. The DS2500 are known to wear quickly when overheated, like the stock pads.

When it becomes a 80% track car, I'll switch to CSG C21+C11

Advertisement

Advertisement