Brake pads for 2.0

mboret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Hi, I picked up my 2.0 last week. Great car and enjoying it so far!

I am going be to doing HPDE events but having trouble finding track pads for the single piston caliper. Looking for recommendations and/or advise. Has anyone done any track time on the OEM pads? If so, how did it hold up? I will flush with Castrol SRF or RBF 660.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
I've never tracked my Supra, but in general the OEM pads BMW uses will hold up decently well for for stock tires.

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Hi. Although I cannot give you the answer on your question, I see that you are in NY so I assume you will be coming to an event hosted by NASA northeast. I do come to all the event NASA northeast hosts so I hope to see you at the event. as for brake pads... like last year when 2020 3.0 was just released, there weren't many options available just like 2021 2.0 now. however, the stock pads do hold up pretty nicely so use stock pad for now until more option is available. unless.. you plan to set the track record on your first run.. ;)

OP
OP
mboret

mboret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Hi. Although I cannot give you the answer on your question, I see that you are in NY so I assume you will be coming to an event hosted by NASA northeast. I do come to all the event NASA northeast hosts so I hope to see you at the event. as for brake pads... like last year when 2020 3.0 was just released, there weren't many options available just like 2021 2.0 now. however, the stock pads do hold up pretty nicely so use stock pad for now until more option is available. unless.. you plan to set the track record on your first run.. ;)
Thanks for the response @nibble. I am looking forward to doing a track event with NASA but this would not be my first HPDE event. I have been doing HPDE events for the past four-five years, mostly with PCA in the intermediate group (solo). I am coming from the 86 platform (traded in my FR-S for the Supra) and have been using Carbotech pads most of the time on the FR-S. The next event I am planning to do is at NJMP Thunderbolt, which is a two-day event. I am concerned that the stock pads will not hold up, but I may be wrong. Which is why I am looking for any guidance here.

RustyShackleford

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, Honda SI
As far as the stock pads go, I did HPDE and they were just fine as long as you get decent time in between sessions (even assuming you push harder than me, sounds like you're HPDE2). For reference I probably had ~2h in between sessions, and I was keeping up with 3.0s on the track. That being said I'm also looking for better pads just to be on the safe side next time, and as my skill level improves.

sikedsyko

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0, 2005 Z4
I had the Supra out on track this weekend. Stock brake setup held up just fine. Kind of lacking feel at threshold, but I wasn't having any issues with fade. Granted, this was at MSR Houston that's not a very punishing track for brakes.

Car must have some boost timers though because it was noticeably cutting boost sometimes at the end of the longer straights.

OP
OP
mboret

mboret

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 2.0
Thanks for your inputs @sikedsyko and @RustyShackleford. Did you flush the brake fluid prior to your track events?

I have found some pad options so far from Endless ane G-Loc. Will be going with G-Loc for my next event. I've used G-Loc pads on my FR-S a number of times before and they are good. Will post an update once I try them out on the Supra.
Sponsored