Toyota Supra Break In Period

How’d you break in?

• Total voters

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S
I always follow the manual. Germans expect people to follow instructions and they’re usually there for a reason. Remember it’s a German motor.

BMW was very vocal a while back saying it was important not to change the oil too soon. The first change is actually longer. Something about wearing in the parts.

My old N52 never burned an ounce of oil in the 11 years I owned it and I did the 1200 mile break in which was identical to the Supra manual.
The manual is useful to some degree but it's more for legality purposes.

With my 911, the manual stats to start the car and then drive immediately. This has been an ongoing debate since it's very vague as to what "drive immediately" actually means. Basically the manual states this because of the strict idle laws in Germany.

Also Porsche vehicles have huge Mobil 1 stickers on the engine cover. I've never put Mobil 1 since I've owned it, U.S or even European blend and never will. Motul Xcess 5w-40 since it's a part of the A40 approved oils from Porsche.

Section 30 of the StVO (German Road Traffic Licensing Regulations)
states:
“When operating a vehicle it is forbidden to produce
undue noise and avoidable air pollution from exhaust
fumes. Especially prohibited is the unnecessary idling
of engines.”
According to the LImSchG (Federal Immission
Control Act) and the StVO it is against the law to
wilfully and knowingly violate these paragraphs.
Violation can result in a heavy fine.
Sponsored

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
The manual is useful to some degree but it's more for legality purposes.

With my 911, the manual stats to start the car and then drive immediately. This has been an ongoing debate since it's very vague as to what "drive immediately" actually means. Basically the manual states this because of the strict idle laws in Germany.

Also Porsche vehicles have huge Mobil 1 stickers on the engine cover. I've never put Mobil 1 since I've owned it, U.S or even European blend and never will. Motul Xcess 5w-40 since it's a part of the A40 approved oils from Porsche.

Section 30 of the StVO (German Road Traffic Licensing Regulations)
states:
“When operating a vehicle it is forbidden to produce
undue noise and avoidable air pollution from exhaust
fumes. Especially prohibited is the unnecessary idling
of engines.”
According to the LImSchG (Federal Immission
Control Act) and the StVO it is against the law to
wilfully and knowingly violate these paragraphs.
Violation can result in a heavy fine.
Yeah, BMW says to drive “immediately” also. Somewhat unrelated but I understand you brought it up to illustrate that perhaps not all the guidance in the manuals is based on what’s best for the car and may not need to be heeded.

absolute0

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 S2000, 2020 Supra
No harm in breaking-in the car. Better be safe than sorry. I am following the instructions.

KCK455

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NMGRI 2019 GR GTS Supra
100%

I've never had any issues with any German cars - from 80s Benz to 2000s BMW - the specification is best followed.

Some food for thought - thicker oil providing more protection is a bit of an old train of thought. Heavier non-synthetics would usually have better resistance to thermal shear.

With the new range of full synthetics, thinner oils have the same or very similar thermal resistance to thicker oils.

A thinner oil will flow more (at a lower pressure) and therefore you gain cooling advantages in the engine at a loss of pressure.

My heuristic for oil pressure on standard internal engines is to run as thin as I can while keeping the pressure in mid-specification.

Anyway, that's my random notes :)
For me the thin oil argument still needs to answer whether easy flow on also means easy flow off too. These flow differences could make changes to the longer term performance of the engine. I don’t think these negative effects are observed in the short term. It’s well into the mid-life of an engine where the effects of early abuse and poor oil choices and maintenance makes a difference imo.

So the possibility that it takes such a long time for the effects of difference in lubricant viscosity to manifest says something about how significant or not these debates about oil types and maintenance might be.

Everyone has to make up their own mind(s).

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
If BMW specs 5w-30 for the B58 somewhere, then I don't think using it is an issue, but if their spec is also 0w-20 (my assumption would be yes) then that's what I would use 100% at least until warranty was up.

The fact that manufacturers use 0w-20 for sure does have something to do with EPA/fuel economy, but it also flows far better in colder climates, and the engine itself will have tighter clearances to meet that spec and as such is designed around it. That's not to say anything is going to be hurt, but you also have to ask yourself why you're intentionally disregarding the spec (if this is indeed the case). what about the stock oil was not performing as expected? if nothing, then what is the purpose of doing so.

I can understand wanting a different oil based on add-pack, detergents, etc based on UOA, but I'd also expect to see the same weight being utilized.

Last edited:

RenierR10

First Name
Alexis
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV Supra
Vehicle Showcase
500 miles is a bit earlier.. Just did the first oil change @1500 miles. Oil still looked very clean, clear and contamination-free. Manual calls for 0w20 but I switched it over to 5w30Liquid moly special tech.. oil capacity 6.5 liters

96B01FAC-4963-4781-BDE9-8712C86427DF.jpeg
I also used Liqui Molly 5w30 @1200 miles. Any difference between special tech vs top tech?

kayos90

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 2020
Got a brand new Supra over the weekend and I was pretty pumped about it. I had to drive it in from out of town since I got a better deal outside. I drove a little over 250 miles on the drive back and I was pretty conservative about overloading the car. However, after I got home I took it out for a spin the next day; and I did drive the car quite a bit over the recommended break-in period. In my excitement with the car I completely forgot about the break-in period and I'm wondering if I messed up... I didn't drive it past 100 mph like it said in the manual but there were numerous points during the next day where engine rev exceeded the recommended 4500 rpm. Did I screw up the car? I'm not super car savvy so I'm not sure if I can even detect anything wrong with the car. I hear mild whirring and wind down after I shut off the car but I assume those are the electronics and stuff...

What're the consequences for me not following the manual? Would I even notice it right away? Or is this going to come bite me years down the line.... Obviously I'll follow the break-in guidelines now but now I'm super concerned...

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
Got a brand new Supra over the weekend and I was pretty pumped about it. I had to drive it in from out of town since I got a better deal outside. I drove a little over 250 miles on the drive back and I was pretty conservative about overloading the car. However, after I got home I took it out for a spin the next day; and I did drive the car quite a bit over the recommended break-in period. In my excitement with the car I completely forgot about the break-in period and I'm wondering if I messed up... I didn't drive it past 100 mph like it said in the manual but there were numerous points during the next day where engine rev exceeded the recommended 4500 rpm. Did I screw up the car? I'm not super car savvy so I'm not sure if I can even detect anything wrong with the car. I hear mild whirring and wind down after I shut off the car but I assume those are the electronics and stuff...

What're the consequences for me not following the manual? Would I even notice it right away? Or is this going to come bite me years down the line.... Obviously I'll follow the break-in guidelines now but now I'm super concerned...
Relax. You’re good. Be easy for the next 600 miles and vary your speeds. Stay below 4500 95% of the time. All is good.

AustinGRSupra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra

And after you break her in, you can join me for an Elder Hill Road run.