Toyota Supra Break In Period

Howā€™d you break in?

• Total voters

Helicaldamn

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2014 Toyota 4Runner, 1986 Toyota 4Runner
I know it's a split camp, but I decided to follow break-in per manual. Just crossed 1200 miles, time to finally "drive" it.
Sponsored

Abdulisraddd

First Name
Abdul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
Iā€™ve been smashing on my car since day 1 . Had catless down pipes on e30 since 200 miles . Iā€™m at 2k miles now . Everythingā€™s great

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
A number of years ago Car and Driver ran a story about engine break in. GM conducted a study using three Corvettes. One was driven following the typical "delicate" procedure apparently favored by most people here. The second was driven with no particular break in technique. The third was driven like they stole it though they never did anything stupid like run hard with cold oil. After 50,000 miles (could've been more. This was probably 20 years ago) they ran all three on a dyno and then tore them down. The results: they all made the same power and had the same amount of (minimal) wear. Their conclusion: it makes no difference.
In my youth I had a 914. One year our Porsche club traveled to the port of entry which I think was in Reno at the time. Part of the preparation for every new Porsche prior to its being shipped to the dealer was to be tested on a chassis dyno to be sure the engines made the power they were supposed to and that nothing broke. In the rare instance that something in the engine goes kablooey it is because of a defect and would have happened regardless of break in technique.What I will do before I tune is run it hard enough to be sure nothing is going to break and then have fun.

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
so, the 1200 mile or so break-in is done
Babied it most of the time
Should I get an oil change now?

Or just wait for the standard 10K

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I plan on getting it done at a Toyota dealership.
No DIY since I do not have the tools

Do most dealers have techs trained on the Supra? Or do I need to check with their service department?

Mk5upra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 05 Sti, 06 r53, 04 sti, 03 g35, 00 s500
Did mine at 5900. I did it at maplewood Toyota and asked them to use the toyota gr oil for my free change. They got a trained tech there to do it. They had the car parked in the garage when I went to pick it up so that's a plus so people won't mess with it. I would recommend them since they were the only place that had the toyota gr oil. Dont forget to let them know you only want an oil change. That's what I told them and they only did the oil changed. Let me know I can refer someone for you to talk to.

Last edited:

Itengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Did mine at 5900. I did it at maplewood Toyota and asked them to use the toyota gr oil for my free change. They got a trained tech there to do it. They had the car parked in the garage when I went to pick it up so that's a plus so people won't mess with it. I would recommend them since they were the only place that had the toyota gr oil. Dont forget to let them know you only want sa oil change. That's what I told them and they only did the oil changed. Let me know I can refer someone for you to talk to.
Thanks a bunch. If you do have a contact that would be great.
I thought you had to wait for 10k to get the free change?
Also "sa oil change" is synthetic, correct?

Mk5upra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 Supra, 05 Sti, 06 r53, 04 sti, 03 g35, 00 s500
Lol, I meant to say an oil change. It's the toyota gazoo racing synthetic oil. They will ask you if you want anything else done like a car wash, etc.. and I said no. Just because I had a tune on it with, ceramic coating and PPF done to the car. You don't need to hit 10k, they will say you haven't hit the 10k and it is recommended to wait but I told them I wanted to do it now and not wait and they were ok. I'll pm you the contact info.

toyota-0w-20-supra-gr-1-l.jpg

Armen383

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedez-Benz AMG GTR, Toyota Supra MK5, Lexus RX450h
Never wait till 10k (based on personal experience maaaaany years ago looking at what oil looks like after 10k). My rule of thumb for any car (that's over 300-400 hp and gets some from me) has been simple: break-in period as per manual, oil+filter change, wait 5,000 km (7,000 km max!) - do another oil and filter change; and so on. Been running like this on the Bimmer (M50d), Mercs (E63S, GTR), even the Lexuses (RX450h) - and definitely doing the same on the Supra. Your car & it's heart will appreciate it the care ;) Plus - it's not like it costs a fortune...

thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NONE. BOUGHT BACK - 2020 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
BMW is pretty explicit about leaving the initial oil in long enough for a proper break in. Theyā€™ve stipulated that for years and years.

I had an N52 engine that I followed their guidance and it never burned a drop of oil in 11 years of ownership.

I say follow the guidance in the manual.

18B58EDC-4B65-442C-8E72-DDC5EAEDC08B.jpeg

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
Iā€™m at 200 miles and have drove it in sport mode since driving it off the lot. Downshifted and revved at 6k to hear the exhaust.

Did I screw up or will I be okay if I keep it under 4500 for the rest of the break in period?
Sponsored