*BREAKING* Worldwide Release of the BMW S58 Engine 473 HP-503 HP!!

F1 Silver Arrows

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mercedes F1 W07 Hybrid
*BREAKING* WELL HERE IT IS!! THE BMW S58 THAT WE HAVE ALL BEEN TALKING ABOUT HAS BEEN RELEASED IN THE BMW X3 M AND BMW X4 M!!

upload_2019-2-12_15-22-17.png

upload_2019-2-12_15-23-10.png

upload_2019-2-12_15-23-40.png

Holy shit. It is finally here. The S58 engine has finally arrived. Remember of all the talks we had of the S58 and whatnot, how it could be in the MkV Supra or the GRMN? Well now, we got specifications thanks to the all new, brand new BMW X3 M and X4 M. And boy are these engines insane. This is more powerful and way better than ever than Mercedes' V8 and Lexus' V8. Sporting this engine is a 3.0L Twin-Turbocharged inline-six engine that is based on the B58. There will be two different tunes for this new engine. In the "base" cars (can you even call it base because even saying it sounds insane) this engine is pushing out 473 HP and 442 LB-FT of torque. The other trim is known as the Competition Pack, where you have a 503 horsepower engine (torque figures are unknown for the Competition Pack), equalling the fire-breathing Mercedes' 4.0L Twin-Turbocharged V8 engine. Both of these engines are paired to an 8-Speed automatic transmission (I assume it is a ZF automatic). It takes the AWD system from the BMW M5 (no RWD mode though :(), which makes these "Sports Activity Vehicles" uber competitive against the the GLC and the Stelvio. With added dampening, stiffer chassis, further bracing, bigger brakes and everything else added to make these things to be dead-on M cars. These things will be insane and it is obvious that BMW is throwing down the gauntlet. It is safe to say with their recent progress, BMW is back.

bmw-1550010534.png

But what does this new release lie for the MkV Supra? What will the future of the Supra be as a result of this? Will we be getting some form of a detuned engine or are we going upgrade with the S58 for the "alpha car"/GRMN? Will we be getting some more goodies or is this as good as it gets for them and not for us (and Toyota simply has to strive to improve the B58 themselves)? This is quite amazing. I can't wait to see what's in store for the future, and for Toyota.

Here are the links below:

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-ca...Z71vlu3-HFGXHXQxPNjrDpWmnExYoDo9U-IRKT1eRjC7o

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/first-look/bmw-reveals-new-x3-m-and-x4-m-and-competition-versions
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

supraz4

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 BMW i3, 2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys
It would be great if Toyota could get this engine but at the same time, I think Toyota would rather have their own version of high spec B58 instead of just using S58.

Here’s Autogefühl review of X3 and X4M.

According to the review, these cars will to 4.1 or 4.2 sec in 0-60 mph which is what Supra is rated at.
That’s a bit slower than what I expected from these cars considering that they are AWD as well.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
I am hoping for a Z4M and Supra A90 GRMN powered by this version of the S58.
Even if most people dream (even now) Toyota-developed versions of the current powertrain, this seems very distant due to the joint development nature of the project. if a more powerful version comes, it will use this (or a similar version of the engine for both cars).
So at least lets hope to have it...
A 500+ hp factory Supra cannot be that bad...

Therealist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 Toyota Supra
It would be great if Toyota could get this engine but at the same time, I think Toyota would rather have their own version of high spec B58 instead of just using S58.

According to the review, these cars will to 4.1 or 4.2 sec in 0-60 mph which is what Supra is rated at.
That’s a bit slower than what I expected from these cars considering that they are AWD as well.
True but they weigh a lot so this is pretty good really

I doubt that BMW will let Toyota use this. They have, after all just used Toyota.

BTW, this is the sort of power I was expecting from the new supra... and is it not a bit sad on a forum about a Toyota people are hyped about a BMW engine....

Last edited:

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX

Remember thy filter

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
True but they weigh a lot so this is pretty good really

I doubt that BMW will let Toyota use this. They have, after all just used Toyota.

BTW, this is the sort of power I was expecting from the new supra... and is it not a bit sad on a forum about a Toyota people are hyped about a BMW engine....
Engine weight could play an important factor that Toyota would consider, given that the Supra is advertised to have 50:50 weight distribution. If with this new S58 and they can still achieve that 50:50, why not...

BMW used Toyota, for what? Just for financial support on the Z4?

Therealist

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1996 Toyota Supra
Engine weight could play an important factor that Toyota would consider, given that the Supra is advertised to have 50:50 weight distribution. If with this new S58 and they can still achieve that 50:50, why not...

BMW used Toyota, for what? Just for financial support on the Z4?
I suspect BMW had the better end of the arrangement. I also doubt they would allow their brand new engine to go in the Supra when it’s destined for the M3..

The fact they said that the Z4 was quicker on the release day of the supra says a lot.

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I suspect BMW had the better end of the arrangement. I also doubt they would allow their brand new engine to go in the Supra when it’s destined for the M3..

The fact they said that the Z4 was quicker on the release day of the supra says a lot.
Because the Supra still carries the filter

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

They needed one another, one way or the other. BMW needed Toyota for financial support, for research & development, to revive the Z4 nameplate, and to make the car more reliable. Toyota, on the other hand, needed the inline-6 engine from BMW to keep the tradition of the Supra alive.

With the Z4 being faster than the Supra, I believe it’s not because BMW doesn’t want to allow Toyota to be on par with them, or like that they want to have the faster and better product among the twins; but it’s mainly because of reliability stuff that’s why Toyota didn’t tune it to be as powerful as the Z4. It’s also part of Toyota’s marketing strategy. They could have reserved the more powerful versions for future refreshes, facelifts, and for the higher-end GRMN, and track versions of the car as well.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

They needed one another, one way or the other. BMW needed Toyota for financial support, for research & development, to revive the Z4 nameplate, and to make the car more reliable. Toyota, on the other hand, needed the inline-6 engine from BMW to keep the tradition of the Supra alive.

With the Z4 being faster than the Supra, I believe it’s not because BMW doesn’t want to allow Toyota to be on par with them, or like that they want to have the faster and better product among the twins; but it’s mainly because of reliability stuff that’s why Toyota didn’t tune it to be as powerful as the Z4. It’s also part of Toyota’s marketing strategy. They could have reserved the more powerful versions for future refreshes, facelifts, and for the higher-end GRMN, and track versions of the car as well.
Their partnership extends way beyond these two sports cars.

DesmoSD

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993.5 Supra TT, 997.1 911 Carrera S, 1199 Panigale S

The X series is 1,000 lbs more heavier though.

Their partnership extends way beyond these two sports cars.
Let's be real for a sec. BMW did not need Toyota. For what? For R&D on their hybrid tech even though BMW has a successful i8 and Toyota has a boring ass Prius. Also to make their low tier BMW, the Z4 more reliable. :rofl: Toyota has been in a sports car dry spell for decades so they needed help.

There is a reason why they went their separate ways 2 yrs after meeting and haven't talked since 2014. BMW R&D, engineering and tooling was always 3 yrs ahead. Can't dwell on the past and what's done is done but this should have been the motor.

At the first drive of the prototype in Madrid, Supra Assistant Chief Engineer Masayuki Kai said that his team hasn't spoken with anyone from BMW since 2014. That's just two years after the 2012 partnership began.

"We agreed on the packaging," Kai said, "like where is the hip-point of the driver, what's the wheelbase, the width, where's the fuel tank, where's the A-pillar, this was around the middle of 2014... After that we completely separated our team. After that, no communication with each other."

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Let's be real for a sec. BMW did not need Toyota. For what? For R&D on their hybrid tech even though BMW has a successful i8 and Toyota has a boring ass Prius. Also to make their low tier BMW, the Z4 more reliable. :rofl: Toyota has been in a sports car dry spell for decades so they needed help.

There is a reason why they went their separate ways 2 yrs after meeting and haven't talked since 2014. BMW R&D, engineering and tooling was always 3 yrs ahead. Can't dwell on the past and what's done is done but this should have been the motor.

At the first drive of the prototype in Madrid, Supra Assistant Chief Engineer Masayuki Kai said that his team hasn't spoken with anyone from BMW since 2014. That's just two years after the 2012 partnership began.

"We agreed on the packaging," Kai said, "like where is the hip-point of the driver, what's the wheelbase, the width, where's the fuel tank, where's the A-pillar, this was around the middle of 2014... After that we completely separated our team. After that, no communication with each other."
In 2011/2012 BMW did not have anything but a concept, let alone a successful car.

People keep saying that Toyota doesn't know how to make sports because they dont make them. Correlation isn't causation. They don't make them because they aren't profitable. They sure as well know how to make a sports car when given the oppurtunity to.

Those teams did not contact with each other. That doesn't mean other teams/individuals didn't communicate to complete other projects, which brings me back to what I said earlier that their partnership extends way beyond these two sports cars..

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Successful i8?while Toyota has the Prius, the Mirai, and the CHR
[/QUOTE]
The motor wasn't around from 2012-2014

[/QUOTE]

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
In 2011/2012 BMW did not have anything but a concept, let alone a successful car.

People keep saying that Toyota doesn't know how to make sports because they dont make them. Correlation isn't causation. They don't make them because they aren't profitable. They sure as well know how to make a sports car when given the oppurtunity to.

Those teams did not contact with each other. That doesn't mean other teams/individuals didn't communicate to complete other projects, which brings me back to what I said earlier that their partnership extends way beyond these two sports cars..
Not to mention BMW was ready to kill off the Z4
Sponsored