Build quality issue or "by design"?

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Solar Octane Tacoma TRD Off-Road
So I noticed the roof spoiler seems barely attached. Seems like it's probably mostly 3M taped on or something (didn't take it apart to confirm anything). Regardless, there's a significant gap between the cab and the spoiler as well as the spoiler doesn't actually line up vertically with the top of the cab. When I wash the truck, water runs down between the cab and spoiler then down the back window. It seems like it is kind of drooping on the back (see the angle vs. the black seal at the far side in the first pic) which seems like it's a result of it pulling away from the cab along the top.

None of this is necessarily a problem. Just wanting a baseline to make sure this isn't a QC issue specific to my truck while it's still fresh from the dealer and I can probably get a remedy at their/Toyota expense if it is a QC issue.

How does yours look and feel?
2024 Tacoma Build quality issue or "by design"? 20240415_163340

2024 Tacoma Build quality issue or "by design"? 20240415_163359

2024 Tacoma Build quality issue or "by design"? 20240415_163410
Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited, 2023 Wrangler 392, 23 X5 M50i
Yours looks like mine. A little lower than the cab.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I don't want to ambush this thread..but I've noticed the two black trim pieces that run the length of the roof, stop about 6" from the windshield. Kinda looks unfinished.

OP
OP
Drakka01

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to ambush this thread..but I've noticed the two black trim pieces that run the length of the roof, stop about 6" from the windshield. Kinda looks unfinished.
Mine don't even run the length. They are 4 pieces about 1 ft each covering the bolt holes with color matched paint in the rest of the channel. Looks a bit odd from the top but I have a roof rack ordered from Westcott so they will be removed anyway.

Dansflhti

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport,16 Mustang GT Conv,14 HD SG.
I never got in the back of the truck and checked the complete length.. I just assumed it was short at the windshield. I don't have my truck yet..get it Thurs or Fri.

lb272

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 MT Forester
I have the 4 pieces as well. At a glance It seems like an odd choice by Toyota not to run full length trim on the roof rail channels. Looks like water could just sit in the middle on top (between the individual trim pieces) and the since the front portion of the channel intersects with the windshield seal, a potential vulnerable spot for water to get in the cab. Maybe I'll get out the hose and see what happens....

OP
OP
Drakka01

Drakka01

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks very similar in this video so definitely seems intentional. I will say that it actually looks better on this lower trim that uses the black spoiler instead of body color. Since there's a color contrast, the alignment shift looks intentional rather than just a misalignment.

Perhaps the gap is intentional to keep it from vibrating/squeaking against the cab. The whole part just feels flimsy and cheap though. I guess we'll see if it holds up over time.
Sponsored