Burger Tuning JB4

Discussion in 'DME / ECU Software Tuning' started by 084runnerltd, Mar 12, 2019.

1. 084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    08 4Runner / 99’ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I emailed Burger Tuning, as I have owned several BMWs in the past and used their tune/methanol injection system on my 335i, inquiring if they anticipate that their tune will work on the Supra.

To my delight they stated that, “We predict and expect our B58 JB4 to be compatible on it, if not, it should be with some small tweaks.”

If you are not familiar with their tunes you should check out burgertuning.com. I have nothing but great things to say about the customer service, quality of product and support they provided me in the past. (Not affiliated in anyway other than a past customer)

They currently make tunes for BMW, Mercedes, Maserati, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, etc...

Their current B58 tune adds 60hp (to wheels) on pump gas with no other mods, ability to read/clear codes, and change maps on the fly.

The link below shows dyno results and some vids of the tune in action.

http://www.burgertuning.com/B58_JB4_bmw_performance_tuner.html

I understand the hesitation in tuning a car under warranty, but I am foolish enough to ignore my better judgement.

Enjoy!

Jabba likes this.
  2. Gearbangin

Gearbangin Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Car(s):
    2007 TRD Edition FJ Cruiser/Lifted/Murdered out 2008 ISF 8 speed ([email protected]) 2009 IS250 AWD 2015 GT86 (HKS Supercharged E85 334 whp)
    Liked:
    If you run into an issue and have to get warranty work are you out of luck? I did some quick research and I think the dealer can still see its been flashed.

Curious

3. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    2018 4Runner Off-Road, 2017 Mk7 Golf TSI, 2016 Porsche Cayman GT4
    Liked:
    The whole trick with a JB4 is that it is a piggy back add on. It does not leave a "paper trail". The only way it can be detected is if the ECU logs are specifically read to see the discrepancies, or if you leave the JB4 while getting work done. It is a very safe way to add a little bit of power.

084runnerltd likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:

This ^

Is it absolutely undectable no. Are you safe in 99% of the time. yes.

Could there be a circumstance where Toyota investigates and detects that the car was tuned at one time, I am guessing so.

The install is pretty easy, I always just pulled it out of my BMW prior to service. Never had an issue.

kona61 likes this.
  5. Gearbangin

Gearbangin Member

First Name:
    Larry
    Car(s):
    2007 TRD Edition FJ Cruiser/Lifted/Murdered out 2008 ISF 8 speed ([email protected]) 2009 IS250 AWD 2015 GT86 (HKS Supercharged E85 334 whp)
    Liked:
    Cool maybe toyota dealers wont be looking anyway, They are to busy with Camrys and Prius. lol

084runnerltd likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    I was thinking the same thing. I think they will have enough on their plate diagnosing/repairing a German car. (Lol).

Now, if you blow the engine or something, I am sure they will put adequate resources into determining the cause...especially in the Very beginning, in order to prevent a mass recall or PR nightmare.

However, much like my experience with BMW, I never had issues, but then again, I didn’t blowup any engines or turbos...

From what I recall on the Bimmer forums, there was a wide variety of dealer acceptance, some knew cars were tuned and didn’t care, others were not very polite to owners that had tunes and tried to deny unrelated warrant claims. Turns out there are some laws in place that basically says ...”a modification to a car does not cancel/void a warranty unless it can be proven that the modification caused the issues.” (Or something similar to this)

That being said with an engine tune, I would think a car company could make a case to not cover any engine issues under warranty. But they can’t deny to fix your radio, or some other unrelated issue, due to the car being tuned....

Exciting times, I wonder how many us will be able to resist our tuning tendencies.

7. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    It's the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Guff, Jabba and 084runnerltd like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Thanks, I know someone would be more familiar with it.

9. Twisted Tuning

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    Supra MKV, BMW 135i, BMW 335xi, Mazda 6 Twin Turbo,
    Liked:
    The JB4 isn't technically 100% untraceable. These cars, well more correctly the ECUs in them, can trip codes for increased performance as well as trip codes for a tuner being added. While its not an "active" code most times. It is a logged code. And dealer can see it if they wanted to. There are counters embedded in the system for how many times launch control is used and etc too.

honestly, what it boils down to is finding and building a relationship with your dealer of choice to see if they are mod friendly. Every manufacturer knows these cars are being modded. so both parties should take responsibility. and of course be aware of the MMW Act, lol.

084runnerltd likes this.
  10. arexniba

arexniba Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Alex
    Car(s):
    BMW, VOLVO, ACURA
    Liked:
    I can't wait! This is going to be the cheapest and best mod to add to the Supra. Along with the OP's comments, I too have a 335i with a JB4. Never had any issues with it. For $500 you easily get 60hp, and if you add more performance parts to it, the JB4 automatically detects them and re-adjusts your specs to continue adding hp. I suspect with an upgraded FMIC, downpipes, intakes, and 93 octane the Supra will easily make over 100whp!

084runnerltd likes this.
  11. Twisted Tuning

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    you don't really believe that the JB4 (a piggyback) detects an added mod, do you?

12. OP
    OP
    084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Unless they have changed it, but in my experience you would set the map based on your mod(s).

Downpipes, intake, CAI, methanol, octane, etc...

I hadn’t heard of auto-detect...?

13. kona61

kona61 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Josh
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    It's not a thing. The only thing that you can adjust per-se is the maps, but that isn't automatic.

14. OP
    OP
    084runnerltd

084runnerltd Member

First Name:
    Jake
    Car(s):
    Liked:
    Garage Profiles:
    Correct, that is what I was saying.

15. Twisted Tuning

First Name:
    Justin
    Car(s):
    Liked:

Which is also what i was saying. People put way too much faith in the JB4. And Burger markets it like that and people believe it, lol.