Button on Gear Handle :- "Lock-Unlock" on the Left side of the Handle

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MKV5 Supra 2020, 08 Mustang GT (Steeda Cold Air), Lexus ES350
Any one know what that button does and what is it for ?
Sponsored

OP
OP
psimzia

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How have you been shifting? You press that to shift between park drive and reverse[/QUOthere is There is a little button back (upper side) of the Gear Handle.

65sohc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
65 GTO, 69 Corvette, 65 Corvette 427, 23 Corvette
Trying moving the gearshift without pressing the button and you'll see.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
i thought it was the NOS button :drive:

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
it sounds like this might be your first time using an automatic. The button is just to lock/unlock the shifter so you can change gears or in this change reverse/neutral/drive so you don't accidentally go into reverse while driving

Kiwi Greg

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
terminatorproducts.co.nz
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2021 GR Yaris, 2022 GR86
Reminds me of when I took my first 6sp FRS home, put it in the garage & couldn't find reverse to back it out :confused:

Tried & tried then gave up & rung my mate at the dealership.....we laughed & laughed :D:D:D:D

OP
OP
psimzia

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trying moving the gearshift without pressing the button and you'll see.
Okay, i will try that over the weekend. i dont drive that car for my daily work.

OP
OP
psimzia

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
it sounds like this might be your first time using an automatic. The button is just to lock/unlock the shifter so you can change gears or in this change reverse/neutral/drive so you don't accidentally go into reverse while driving
All my Cars are Automatic but, this setup is completely different. I think you might be correct, the Lock and unlock is for it doesnt change gear accidentally or it might be for not to press on rear Button every time to change to Reverse or Drive. Thanks alot.

OP
OP
psimzia

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How have you been shifting? You press that to shift between park drive and reverse
For reverse i have to press the button on the rear of the Handle and from Reverse to Drive i just hold the handle pull it back without pressing any button.

OP
OP
psimzia

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
How have you been shifting? You press that to shift between park drive and reverse
I shift to Drive by just holding the Handle and pull it back without pressing any button and for Park i press "P" button on the Handle and for Reverse i have to press rear button on the Handle and shift to "R"

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I shift to Drive by just holding the Handle and pull it back without pressing any button and for Park i press "P" button on the Handle and for Reverse i have to press rear button on the Handle and shift to "R"
What "rear" button? When I back out of my garage, I have to press (and hold down) the lock button on the side of the stalk and put the selector to reverse. When I switch to drive, I do not have to push the button, I can just pull the stalk back to the drive position.

As far as I know on my car, there is only one button on the stalk other than the parking button, and that's the selector lock button.

If you are able to put the car in "D" drive from the "P" parked position without holding down the selector lock button, then you should go to the dealership and have that looked at immediately.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 10.25.25 AM.png

OP
OP
psimzia

psimzia

First Name
Pritesh
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What "rear" button? When I back out of my garage, I have to press (and hold down) the lock button on the side of the stalk and put the selector to reverse. When I switch to drive, I do not have to push the button, I can just pull the stalk back to the drive position.

As far as I know on my car, there is only one button on the stalk other than the parking button, and that's the selector lock button.

If you are able to put the car in "D" drive from the "P" parked position without holding down the selector lock button, then you should go to the dealership and have that looked at immediately.

Screen Shot 2020-04-30 at 10.25.25 AM.png
Wow, this makes soo much sense. This really answered my question. in my car it seems all fine exactly how its explained. Thank You.
Sponsored