Buy or make front splitter

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
So been debating on just getting another sheet of alumalite and just making a front splitter. Anyone else used it on the supra?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Make is not everyone's cup of tea.
In the past I made basic fiberglass car parts for myself. Really depends on how abled you are in the end.. nowadays there's 3d resin and whatnot printing..
If you do a good job with it and paint/finish, no one would stop you...

OP
OP

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Make is not everyone's cup of tea.
In the past I made basic fiberglass car parts for myself. Really depends on how abled you are in the end.. nowadays there's 3d resin and whatnot printing..
If you do a good job with it and paint/finish, no one would stop you...
I've used alumalite on cars in the past. Some last longer than others. Haven't had the car up on a lift yet to see how flat it is on the bottom. Used to use caulking on the ends and run an old window seal around the edge to finish it off a bit. But the supra almost seems a little too nice to be using it on it. Maybe I'm just over thinking it.

carmigo

First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
N/A
So been debating on just getting another sheet of alumalite and just making a front splitter. Anyone else used it on the supra?
Making something for your car always makes it feel more worth it in the end, so if you can do it well, i would say go for it and update us with pics!

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Making something for your car always makes it feel more worth it in the end, so if you can do it well, i would say go for it and update us with pics!
These generic responses from this account are getting old.

I’m not even sure why this account is even here other than paying money for the right to be.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I would agree that we need to look at the underside of the car first. I started to make a plywood splitter for one of my other cars, turned out to be a lot more engineering involved and parts being made that I didn't have way to fabricate. Other people had done at successfully, but it always seemed that there was something on their bill that I couldn't do myself.
On the bright side, once you get one figured out, you just keep cranking them out after that.
I prefer plywood as it is the cheapest option, very strong, and doesn't weigh too much.
Alumalight is a really good way to go if you can afford it. I don't know where people are getting their sheets, my local sign place quoted me $250 for a 4x8 sheet. No thanks.

OP
OP

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
I would agree that we need to look at the underside of the car first. I started to make a plywood splitter for one of my other cars, turned out to be a lot more engineering involved and parts being made that I didn't have way to fabricate. Other people had done at successfully, but it always seemed that there was something on their bill that I couldn't do myself.
On the bright side, once you get one figured out, you just keep cranking them out after that.
I prefer plywood as it is the cheapest option, very strong, and doesn't weigh too much.
Alumalight is a really good way to go if you can afford it. I don't know where people are getting their sheets, my local sign place quoted me $250 for a 4x8 sheet. No thanks.
It's been a while since I bought a sheet but that still sounds pretty high. (Could be wrong)
I have a large industrial sign manufacturing plant around here. Got a buddy that works there he might be able to get me a sheet or 2 cheaper than buying online. My main concern is the underside and what the standoffs will need to be. We used to use cut 02 censor bungs or thick aluminum washers.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Having just installed a Verus splitter, you could for sure make one out of alumalite, just need to figure out your mounting points and make your own air dam as well.

The Verus splitter attaches to the front aluminum bumper support and the three bolts in front of the OEM metal undertray.

OP
OP

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Buy a splitter, you don’t want to be mistaken for a Dodge with the Home Depot sponsored diffuser and wang.
The supra is smaller than any car dodge has put out for the last 5 years... 😆 🤣 😂

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Sounds like mounting points are easy enough. Get some birch plywood. If you have access to a splitter to trace, there ya go. If not, you can just measure out from your bumper cover to the length you need. We tend to use rivnuts, nuts, bolts, l-brackets, etc. Home Depot is your friend. Again, once you build one, the rest are cake.
There is a rubber edging with mounting points spaced out to that you can shape it around the car as an air dam.
The splitter and air dam are VERY reasonably priced. You won't win any car shows or get street cred, but it's the go-to for anyone who pays for their own consumables. 😂
And yes: you WILL be going through multiple splitters.

OP
OP

MrNobody

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Trdoffroad 4runner
Sounds like mounting points are easy enough. Get some birch plywood. If you have access to a splitter to trace, there ya go. If not, you can just measure out from your bumper cover to the length you need. We tend to use rivnuts, nuts, bolts, l-brackets, etc. Home Depot is your friend. Again, once you build one, the rest are cake.
There is a rubber edging with mounting points spaced out to that you can shape it around the car as an air dam.
The splitter and air dam are VERY reasonably priced. You won't win any car shows or get street cred, but it's the go-to for anyone who pays for their own consumables. 😂
And yes: you WILL be going through multiple splitters.
Oh I'm well aware these are consumables. Lol thus the reason I just want to make it out of alumalite instead of just buying one. My thing is it's mainly a street car for me. 😆 🤣 😂

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Oh I'm well aware these are consumables. Lol thus the reason I just want to make it out of alumalite instead of just buying one. My thing is it's mainly a street car for me. 😆 🤣 😂
If it's mainly a street car, why bother?
Sponsored