All-new 2023 Nissan Z makes world debut!

whycantidrive

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
I'm in the same exact boat as you, except I don't need a car right now. I'm fine with waiting a couple more years for both cars. Obviously when the Z comes out I'll have to see it in person and see how it competes next to the supra.
But if you need a car soon, wait for the Z.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Like a lot of people have already said if you want it as soon as it's out you'll more then likely going to pay a mark up, if not at least MSRP. So now we're in 2023 the Supra should be getting a facelift around this time. If I were you and don't need a car asap I would wait and see what both have to offer.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I am still ~2 years out until the mortgage is paid off and the still on the fence. I was set on an auto but considering I drive 1/4 as much as previously I think I want a manual. I have been very interested in the new Z because of the manual but if I am waiting 2 years I may as well get the G42 M240i since it will be around the same price as the Supra and it is 6MT 2+2 Supra. So it would come down to what options are available on the new Z at that point.

Butttttt if I decide to get an auto, that also leaves the possibility of a CPO F-Type or GT S.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
I will believe all these too good to be true 370z rumors when I see it. Until then it's just speculation. Nissan is in the business of making money, they are not going to leave money on the table just to cater to a small demographic of enthusiast.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
I will believe all these too good to be true 370z rumors when I see it. Until then it's just speculation. Nissan is in the business of making money, they are not going to leave money on the table just to cater to a small demographic of enthusiast.
Especially as they're financially struggling.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My roommate wanted the 400z (since his dad had a z car back in the day) but ended up getting the supra after more research. He has a friend, thats a GTR tech at a Nissan dealership, he said the 400z engine isn't reliable and just to get the supra. The GTR tech friend had to work on that engine all the time because after 20k miles its just unreliable. If you dont drive much or plan on selling the 400z before 20k miles then there is no problem.

Im certain the 2023 supra will have some changes (probably just visual refresh) based on feedback they got from owners earlier this year so keep that in mind too.

I personally had a 2020 supra that was totaled and was originally waiting for the 22 (just in case their were updates) but ended up getting 21 recently since its the same car. I also looked into getting the new C8 and rented one but for double the price the supra is actually great value for a sports car. I have way more fun in the supra and it sounds better at all speeds compared to the e C8 that is only great at higher speeds which is my personal opinion.

I think the GR86 is another great car for the price since it fixes all the problems of the 86 so if anything consider that car if you can wait

Also keep in mind these cars are all the last generation of gas only sports cars before they all go hybrid in 5 years

Also keep in mind my GTR tech is talking about the new Infiniti engine and not anything about 370z

Last edited:

Lvckv69

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Diesel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 911
I wouldn't say small. Nissan has sold 370z's 6 times more than Toyota with their Supra's lineup. The 370z were on sale with an MSRP of $39,130. So if it is not $35k, it is close.

My roommate wanted the 400z (since his dad had a z car back in the day) but ended up getting the supra after more research. He has a friend, thats a GTR tech at a Nissan dealership, he said the 400z engine isn't reliable and just to get the supra. The GTR tech friend had to work on that engine all the time because after 20k miles its just unreliable. If you dont drive much or plan on selling the 400z before 20k miles then there is no problem.
This is not true. Had my '17 370z with 63k miles after then accident and never had any issues. It all depends on you, whether you are doing the required maintenance etc. Just like any other car. One thing for sure is their CSC failure. The csc's in these cars are garbage. It WILL fail eventually. It may fail at 100 miles on the car, or at 100k miles, but it is a matter of when, not if. The CSC is around the input shaft of the transmission on these cars, so when it fails it requires dropping the transmission which is labor intensive ($$$). Hopefully that's not the case with the new Z. I'd rather be patient and let those who purchased the car first to tell the world the issues, etc..

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I am still ~2 years out until the mortgage is paid off and the still on the fence. I was set on an auto but considering I drive 1/4 as much as previously I think I want a manual. I have been very interested in the new Z because of the manual but if I am waiting 2 years I may as well get the G42 M240i since it will be around the same price as the Supra and it is 6MT 2+2 Supra. So it would come down to what options are available on the new Z at that point.

Butttttt if I decide to get an auto, that also leaves the possibility of a CPO F-Type or GT S.
I very much doy

Im certain the 2023 supra will have some changes (probably just visual refresh) based on feedback they got from owners earlier this year so keep that in mind too.

I personally had a 2020 supra that was totaled and was originally waiting for the 22 (just in case their were updates) but ended up getting 21 recently since its the same car. I also looked into getting the new C8 and rented one but for double the price the supra is actually great value for a sports car. I have way more fun in the supra and it sounds better at all speeds compared to the e C8 that is only great at higher speeds which is my personal opinion.

I think the GR86 is another great car for the price since it fixes all the problems of the 86 so if anything consider that car if you can wait

Also keep in mind these cars are all the last generation of gas only sports cars before they all go hybrid in 5 years
I wouldn't say small. Nissan has sold 370z's 6 times more than Toyota with their Supra's lineup. The 370z were on sale with an MSRP of $39,130. So if it is not $35k,
I wouldn't say small. Nissan has sold 370z's 6 times more than Toyota with their Supra's lineup. The 370z were on sale with an MSRP of $39,130. So if it is not $35k, it is close.
it's also been on the market 6 times longer :rofl: and for that base MSRP you got nothing. Look at the years both were on sale. The Supra sold triple the 370 did, even though the Supra cost more. And all the performance bits, come standard.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
it's also been on sale 6 times longer :rofl: and for that base MSRP you got nothing. Look at the sales years both were available, the Supra sold triple even though it's more expensive. And the performance parts come standard.

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
No, it's a small demographic compared to their other core buyers. Nissan has not sold more than 10K 370z's in a single year since 2010. It's small potatoes for them.

By comparison the Nissan Rogue will sell around high 200K units a year on average with some years being over 400K in the last 10 years.

If you look at the Mustang they will sell 70-100K (some years higher some lower) on average a year, and the majority of those are not V8's or Shelbys, but the cheaper Ecoboost models.

There is a good documentary on the current Mustang when it was getting built and engineers were having to fight for a part that cost 5 cents more than anticipated. This shows you how important cost is and keeping costs down.

Because the sports car market segment keeps diminishing as people continue to flock to SUV's. This is why Toyota partnered with BMW for the Supra. As rich as they(Toyota) are (they have far, far, more money and resources than Nissan) they knew it made no economic sense to develop the Supra in house and get it to get green lighted. Same with 86 and Subaru. So the concept that Nissan would undercut everyone else with a brand new Z for such a low price and offer way more than the last Z sounds too good to be true.

I will believe it when I see it and when pros have driven them and they get dynod. And then I would be concerned what corners they cut, it's not like the Mustang is some new revolutionary platform, it's been out a long time but if you configure one to match a Supra 3.0 Premium it's $54K and change.

Lvckv69

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Diesel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'17 911
it's also been on sale 6 times longer :rofl: and for that base MSRP you got nothing. Look at the sales years both were available, the Supra sold triple even though it's more expensive. And the performance parts come standard.
According to the stats, about 14k Z's were sold in 2009 when it got released, whereas Supra's close to 6k in 2020. In U.S only.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Just wait and drive both and decide based on what you feel in the driver's seat vs what us internet idiots say. You're gonna be stuck with it for a couple of years most likely, so a little more patience will pay off in you being happy with your purchase.

I hope Nissan pulls it off, but the cards are def stacked against them when you look at their financial situation. I'm looking forward to driving one.

gdi2290

First Name
PatrickJS
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase

This is not true. Had my '17 370z with 63k miles after then accident and never had any issues. It all depends on you, whether you are doing the required maintenance etc. Just like any other car. One thing for sure is their CSC failure. The csc's in these cars are garbage. It WILL fail eventually. It may fail at 100 miles on the car, or at 100k miles, but it is a matter of when, not if. The CSC is around the input shaft of the transmission on these cars, so when it fails it requires dropping the transmission which is labor intensive ($$$). Hopefully that's not the case with the new Z. I'd rather be patient and let those who purchased the car first to tell the world the issues, etc..
Nothing about the 370z im talking about the new infinity engine thats going in the 400z

pr0jekt_cha0s

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
It will come both auto and manual and it will have 443 at crank. The new Z won't hit the market till mid '22. I remember with the GTR the new model in years past could always be ordered around November and then owners would receive their cars usually February to March. I would like to think the Z would fall into this pattern. I'd rather wait because I don't want to have buyer's remorse and in the meantime, I will get something else to take me to work and school.
443hp at the crank? I don't think it will come close to being rated at 440hp let alone at the crank. That would be 500+ hp.
Sponsored