California Will Start Checking for ECU Tuning In Smog Checks This Month

bajanstefan

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
3.0 Premium
For those of us who retain factory emissions hardware and cat converters, increased emissions from a tune are negligible. But we'll have to comply to stay street legal.

BY CHRIS ROSALES UPDATED JUL 13, 2021 4:24 PM

Some folks on social media have started to post about a new California smog testing procedure that is supposed to check for modified or non-CARB compliant software in-vehicle ECUs, which I did some digging into. Using the link posted at the bottom of the screenshots Iā€™ve seen, I followed it back to the California Bureau of Automotive Repair smog FAQ page, where the confirmation was clear as day: California is indeed going to start sniffing for tunes during smog checks.

Screen-Shot-2021-07-13-at-11.19.14-AM-1024x358.png

Hereā€™s the relevant excerpt from the above-linked FAQ page. Image: BAR.ca.gov screenshot
As many of you may know: Cars need to pass a smog check for emissions compliance every other year if they want to be registered in California. Itā€™s pretty much the only legal requirement to keep your car on the road here, but inspectors can be real hardasses about modifications even if they donā€™t really make your carā€™s pollution any worse.

Full article here - https://www.carbibles.com/california-will-start-checking-for-ecu-tuning-in-smog-checks-this-month/
Sponsored

MYNEWFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Turbulence Gray Supra Premium
Maybe I'll worry about this in 8 years.
Plus, You can always put your car back to its oem status before getting a smog test.

This from the Ca DMV Website:

My car is new. Do I still have to get a smog inspection when I renew my registration?
Starting January 1, 2019, if your vehicle is less than 4 model years old, you can pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first 8 years that your vehicle is registered

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Maybe I'll worry about this in 8 years.
Plus, You can always put your car back to its oem status before getting a smog test.

This from the Ca DMV Website:

My car is new. Do I still have to get a smog inspection when I renew my registration?
Starting January 1, 2019, if your vehicle is less than 4 model years old, you can pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first 8 years that your vehicle is registered
This excerpt literally aroused me.

Blessed

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Kentucky checking in! ? Thanks for saving the world, CA.
Sponsored