• Total voters

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
looks like some of our brother from another mother is having some oil consumptions too. funny most of them are not even worried :crazy:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1651647&page=11
Because it's not much to worry about. These aren't Camry's or Accords. They're performance engines. And they need extra. Just because it says change oil at 10k, doesn't mean it won't need a top up or two, or three, before then.
There was an individual who had scoring on the cylinder wall, BUT, we don't know how that car was driven. If that car was driven too hard before it was fully warmed up, doing donuts, burnouts, etc.
To me, the oil issue is because the 0W-20 is too thin.
Sponsored

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Well, another 3 track days and no oil warning. ? 5-6 20 min sessions and 60-80 miles at 6k rpm ave

running 5-30 moly first change was 2500 getting ready for second change here at 6500

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Those using 5w-30 - would you drain and replace with 0w20 if you had a warranty issue? Would Toyota be able to tell?

Iā€™ve heard some buying the 0w20 oil and keeping it (or returning it) so they have the receipt to show Toyota. I know that doesnā€™t sound honest, but Toyota refusing a warranty claim because you are using an appropriate 5w30 doesnā€™t sound honest either...
Technically yes, you could absolutely do that. You would not be low of course immediately after changing your oil back, however. It would be you swapping back to a 20 weight (fresh oil change) then driving it until it got low again. I'm not going to buy bottles and try to trick folks, etc. I'm just changing my oil and driving it.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
By the time you get a low warning light on 30 weight, IF you get one at all, it'll be sheered down to a 20 weight, or lower.
It's not masking anything, it's putting an appropriate performing oil into it. 30 weight won't "void" anything as the manual clearly states it's accepted as a replacement.

Just EPA bullshit. Nothing more.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tesla S 100D, 2023 Volvo XC90 Recharge
I donā€™t think anyone is knocking that 5w-30 is a better performing oil and a good choice for the car. I think itā€™s just the avoidance of the fact that using the factory issued 0w-20 oil can cause consumption issues. If you are ok with ignoring the problem that there may be issues with it working using factory spec oil, more power to you. I find comfort in knowing that I can use either oil and not have to worry about if the oil consumption is normal or not.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I donā€™t think anyone is knocking that 5w-30 is a better performing oil and a good choice for the car. I think itā€™s just the avoidance of the fact that using the factory issued 0w-20 oil can cause consumption issues. If you are ok with ignoring the problem that there may be issues with it working using factory spec oil, more power to you. I find comfort in knowing that I can use either oil and not have to worry about if the oil consumption is normal or not.
It's not a problem (for most) to begin with. It clearly states that consumption of 1 quart per 1500 miles is normal and within spec. Just because the "experts" on here don't like it, doesn't make it true. Most that are reporting a "problem" go well beyond 1500 miles. It also states that during the first 10k miles, oil consumption will be higher than normal.
Just 95% of people freaking out over nothing. And 5% with an actual issue.
Don't like to buy oil? Don't buy a performance engine, or a BMW to begin with. :dunno:

And before the "why doesn't the 2020 use oil" reply comes,

It's a lower performance engine. Lower performance, lower consumption. I think a lot of oil gets lost because of blowby. And putting in a thicker oil prevents/reduces that to happen.

Last edited:

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe since the 2020ā€™s have lower hp and no consumption issues, they donā€™t have proper performance engines and can be considered a true Toyota engine compared to the 21ā€™s. Got it. ?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maybe since the 2020ā€™s have lower hp and no consumption issues, they donā€™t have proper performance engines and can be considered a true Toyota engine compared to the 21ā€™s. Got it. ?
Maybe ?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But, what I was getting at was, if the B58 in the 21's use more boost than the 20's to get that extra 50some horsepower out of it, the extra boost could be causing the blowby and that's why the 20's don't have the consumption like the 21ā€™s do.

Just spitballing.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But, what I was getting at was, if the B58 in the 21's use more boost than the 20's to get that extra 50some horsepower out of it, the extra boost could be causing the blowby and that's why the 20's don't have the consumption like the 21ā€™s do.

Just spitballing.
Iā€™m still not sure boost/blow by is the reason for the issue. A good number of us 20ā€™s are tuned (lol) and push more boost than the 21ā€™s and still donā€™t have issues running 0w-20.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX

Just spitballing.
It could be the higher boost. My personal opinion is that weak break-ins are bad, the only reason they're "recommended" by the manufacturer is because their legal and PR team can't tell you to do otherwise. I've literally never spoken to an engine builder, ever, who recommended a weak break-in. The reason why it's worse on the 2021 is because the drop in compression makes a weak break-in even worse. It might have been good enough on the 2020, but it isn't on the 2021.

The recent poll that was posted showed that an overwhelming majority of the 2021s with high oil consumption did a weak break-in, while with the exception of one person, nobody who did a hard break-in showed any consumption problems. That one exception could just be excess blowby as you mentioned.

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/low-oil-poll-with-break-in-data.8446/

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Iā€™m still not sure boost/blow by is the reason for the issue. A good number of us 20ā€™s are tuned (lol) and push more boost than the 21ā€™s and still donā€™t have issues running 0w-20.
That's a good point.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
It could be the higher boost. My personal opinion is that weak break-ins are bad, the only reason they're "recommended" by the manufacturer is because their legal and PR team can't tell you to do otherwise. I've literally never spoken to an engine builder, ever, who recommended a weak break-in. The reason why it's worse on the 2021 is because the drop in compression makes a weak break-in even worse. It might have been good enough on the 2020, but it isn't on the 2021.

The recent poll that was posted showed that an overwhelming majority of the 2021s with high oil consumption did a weak break-in, while with the exception of one person, nobody who did a hard break-in showed any consumption problems. That one exception could just be excess blowby as you mentioned.

Yup. I break mine in hard too. No oil issue here.

Munkeeboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

Its hardly a scientific or comprehensive poll to garner any real conclusions but even if we were to take that data as a good sample size, 33% of all reported 21 owners show consumption issues. Regardless of break in method, thatā€™s not a good number.

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Its hardly a scientific or comprehensive poll to garner any real conclusions but even if we were to take that data as a good sample size, 33% of all reported 21 owners show consumption issues. Regardless of break in method, thatā€™s not a good number.
That's my point. Of that 33% how many report an issue that don't have one?
How many of that 33% lost a quart of oil under 1500 miles? I bet a lot less.
Sponsored