• Total voters

freeform911

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 a91 edition Supra 2016 Lexus rc f BMW 435I
Just got of the phone with Toyota corporate....
The lady I spoke with said Toyota is NOT aware of any issues with the 2021 model year Supra...
She did start a case file and emailed that info to me...

Really hope this is a simple issue/fix...

Good for @Skull03 grinding it out...
I'm really not known for my patience ?

Just out of curiosity...how does a replace engine effect car value?
I know when Porsche had issues in the late 80s early 90 they had to replace engines and for the longest time those particular cars weren't worth anything...

Steve
Sponsored

Foxhound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Nocturnal
Haven’t been here in a while...2021 refraction Blue Supra. Bought the car in November. Got my first warning light @ 1,500 miles. I’ve had low oil notifications every 600-700 miles or so. Have needed to add 1 quart of oil each time. Car driven 90% in manual and sport mode. Car has been to the dealer and a TAS case was created. After the third visit and leak down test, they ordered me a new engine.

Stated that the issue was “faulty” piston rings. Caused vertical scoring in the cylinders. Dropped the car off for replacement at 7K or so. Waiting for the vehicle to be finished. Should have it back next week. Hopefully no further issues or might have to consider it a lemon. Obviously everything has been covered under warranty.
damn man, if I was in your shoes I’d insist they either buy back the car or swap it out with another Supra entirely.

but hopefully it all works out with the new engine and youre a happy camper

ShakaDaKine

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 TG 3.0
It’s been a long and frustrating process but I feel they’re doing what’s necessary to rectify the issue. I just want to drive my car lol. I’ll be sure to keep you all posted.
Did they give you a loaner?

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
Did they give you a loaner?
That is what I am gonna need a loaner but if it’s the piston rings only and there is no scaring on the piston walls then they can easily fix that so not everybody is gonna get a new engine. The video above is spot on what the problem is! Could also be both piston rings and rod bearings! Most dealers still don’t know it’s a known problem yet but they will soon!

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
That is what I am gonna need a loaner but if it’s the piston rings only and there is no scaring on the piston walls then they can easily fix that so not everybody is gonna get a new engine. The video above is spot on what the problem is! Could also be both piston rings and rod bearings! Most dealers still don’t know it’s a known problem yet but they will soon!
oil analysis will tell you if rod bearings are in play.

once they fix your piston ring issue, run a full cycle of oil and get an analysis done at like your 10,000mile change to check rod bearing wear. If oily analysis shows high rod bearing bear, do the same thing on the next one. After 2 back to back high bearing wear analysis‘, take that data and use it to open another ticket for the rod bearings.

id guess youll be fine- rod bearings either are a problem or they arent- but this would be the way to start that case.

Last edited:

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Haven’t been here in a while...2021 refraction Blue Supra. Bought the car in November. Got my first warning light @ 1,500 miles. I’ve had low oil notifications every 600-700 miles or so. Have needed to add 1 quart of oil each time. Car driven 90% in manual and sport mode. Car has been to the dealer and a TAS case was created. After the third visit and leak down test, they ordered me a new engine.

Stated that the issue was “faulty” piston rings. Caused vertical scoring in the cylinders. Dropped the car off for replacement at 7K or so. Waiting for the vehicle to be finished. Should have it back next week. Hopefully no further issues or might have to consider it a lemon. Obviously everything has been covered under warranty.
Recall incoming.
As a MY20 owner, very thankful have missed this crap.
Thnx for the heads up. :thumbsup:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Recall incoming.
As a MY20 owner, very thankful have missed this crap.
Thnx for the heads up. :thumbsup:
probably a TSB....if they ascertain there is a volume of engines affected. Allows a glide path to correction for affected vehicles without replacing all of them.

it is my guess Toyota will just start replacing motors because it’s cheaper than replacing just pistons/rings. Toyota will subrogate the losses with BMW from there...

Tripjammer

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota GR Supra Premium 3.0
probably a TSB....if they ascertain there is a volume of engines affected. Allows a glide path to correction for affected vehicles without replacing all of them.

it is my guess Toyota will just start replacing motors because it’s cheaper than replacing just pistons/rings. Toyota will subrogate the losses with BMW from there...
Yeah it’s not like there is a bunch of 2021, there was like 2700 2020 sold world wide right or was that just the USA? 2021 I think is the same or lower not sure.

Last edited:

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Yeah it’s not like there is a bunch of 2021, there was like 2700 2020 sold work wide right or was that just the USA? 2021 I think is the same or lower now sure.
im not sure on the sales numbers, but i would assume you are right. And it is unlikely EVERY ‘21 is affected.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra

I wonder if that was to happen, if they would replace the engine with a new crate engine or a reman from one that had problems? Kind of like recycling to cut costs. Again, this is all in theory that there is an oil consumption problem.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
I wonder if that was to happen, if they would replace the engine with a new crate engine or a reman from one that had problems? Kind of like recycling to cut costs. Again, this is all in theory that there is an oil consumption problem.
it could go either way, but most likely a new with the corrected motor going to the reman market.

I personally wouldnt mind either way as long as it gets fixed, and Id rather a BMW engine builder who is informed of the current issue be the one addressing an engine problem over a random dealer tech who likely hasnt done piston ring gap clearance since his trade school days.

another possibility is they just send around a factory engine builder on a regional basis to repair affected engines if numbers are low, which would likely also be fine.

theres a few ways it could get remedied, but from a cost perspective my guess is it will just be new motors. The labor cost of replacing piston rings might exceed factory cost of a new motor, and for toy/bmw it will be a purely economic decision.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Someone should call up BMW, many B58 owners report same issue in the bimmer forums. I wonder if BMW is aware....I'd think so. If BMW does something like tsb or then we know Toyota will most likely have to follow suite.

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Someone should call up BMW, many B58 owners report same issue in the bimmer forums. I wonder if BMW is aware....I'd think so. If BMW does something like tsb or then we know Toyota will most likely have to follow suite.
I have mr BMW’s private number at his chateau in Bavaria mountains. Do you want me to give him a call from us?