• Total voters

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium/Absolute Zero
21. Took the 20w out at 500 miles. At 2500 now so 2k on 5w30 and still at the max. I check it a few times a week.
I'm going to be swapping to 5W-30 myself. I'm going to hold off for a bit longer though and continue driving the car to rack up miles. I'm going to see what the oil level looks like around the 3,000 mile mark.
Sponsored

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
Thanks! Out of curiosity have you noticed your oil move off of the "max" line in any of the oil checks you've done? I suppose this question is for everyone actually, especially 2020s. Have any of you noticed the oil move from the max line at all?
I have a 2020 and put 4500 miles on mine before I changed to 0w-40. Did an oil level check the day before I did it after a long drive and it never came off full.

Paolo

First Name
Paolo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
20 SUPRA
Thanks! Out of curiosity have you noticed your oil move off of the "max" line in any of the oil checks you've done? I suppose this question is for everyone actually, especially 2020s. Have any of you noticed the oil move from the max line at all?
I'm at just over 2000 miles with my 2020. Still on original factory oil. Oil level continues to remain at the max level with mix of highway city driving and some hard pulls every now and then.

Safe driving and check out the poll at top of this page.. I'd say it's a fairly accurate assessment of the situation with A90 and A91's.

KellyJoe

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Early '21 w/ 15K... Break-in was pretty much followed and stayed below 4500 RPM minus a few trips over.... :D Added 2.5 qts over that time frame which is acceptable to me as I really pushed it after break-in... Anyone or car running water for oil would need some lube after me putting my foot in your ass like I did... First car I've ever owned with no dipstick that tells me to add oil when needed so I feel I'm good... :dunno:

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
21. Took the 20w out at 500 miles. At 2500 now so 2k on 5w30 and still at the max. I check it a few times a week.
I'd love to hear if there is anyone out there that has a 2021 that is both:

1. Burning excessive oil
2. Switched to a thicker oil during break-in period or shortly after (before 1500 miles or so)

I've been reading through these threads and so far I don't think I've seen anyone who switched to thicker oil that also has the oil burn issue, but given the number of pages I could have missed it.

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Just had my second oil change a week ago in my 2020... for grins I ran the full 10K (ok 9.6K) this time - checked oil level the day prior and was still right at the max line.

However, that's with zero track days, all highway commuting, and a mix of normal/sport around 2:1. Definitely some spirited driving but nothing over 120, I mean 65mph and only a dozen or so full-beans runs.

For reference I'm running the factory water and I've yet to see a single drop on my garage floor, so no standard BMW "incontinence issues" so far and near zero burned.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
Just had my second oil change a week ago in my 2020... for grins I ran the full 10K (ok 9.6K) this time - checked oil level the day prior and was still right at the max line.

However, that's with zero track days, all highway commuting, and a mix of normal/sport around 2:1. Definitely some spirited driving but nothing over 120, I mean 65mph and only a dozen or so full-beans runs.

For reference I'm running the factory water and I've yet to see a single drop on my garage floor, so no standard BMW "incontinence issues" so far and near zero burned.
2020 > 2021 on oil consumption
Lol ?

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
I'd love to hear if there is anyone out there that has a 2021 that is both:

1. Burning excessive oil
2. Switched to a thicker oil during break-in period or shortly after (before 1500 miles or so)

I've been reading through these threads and so far I don't think I've seen anyone who switched to thicker oil that also has the oil burn issue, but given the number of pages I could have missed it.
Would be a good data point for sure. I switched early on to 5w30 because I don't believe any turbo car should run such a thin lubricant and all of my European buds have been fine regarding consumption issues (they don't run 0W20 in EU). I may or may not have had consumption issues had I stayed on 0W20 but I may never know now.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 > 2021 on oil consumption
Lol ?
I understand you're happy with your 2020, but for those of us with 2021s, I promise you we didn't buy them to try to spite 2020 owners, or at least I didn't. I wish the 2021s didn't have consumption issues to even worry about, but they do, and your comment makes me feel like you don't really sympathize with those of us who unknowingly bought a 2021 that could have consumption issues. If I could go back and do it all over again, I would have gotten a 2020 if I knew what I know now, but I'm here with a car that was a dream purchase of mine, hoping that this thing doesn't end up having the oil consumption issue because all I really want to do right now is get it tuned, but I can't in good conscious do this at the moment because of the potential that the engine may need to be warrantied.

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would be a good data point for sure. I switched early on to 5w30 because I don't believe any turbo car should run such a thin lubricant and all of my European buds have been fine regarding consumption issues (they don't run 0W20 in EU). I may or may not have had consumption issues had I stayed on 0W20 but I may never know now.
Are you by chance tuned or modded in any way?

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra

All I'm reading here is,

"I'm not having anywhere near as much fun as I could have"

:p

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
I wish the 2021s didn't have consumption issues to even worry about, but they do, and your comment makes me feel like you don't really sympathize with those of us who unknowingly bought a 2021 that could have consumption issues.
Well, I for one definitely do feel sympathy for you... I wish there weren't problems with any MKV's regardless of model year - but that's a pipe dream now. I think Tada-san and company made a fairly big error in judgement as far as the "improvements every year..." execution is concerned. I wouldn't take @Axix23 's post personally - but it is sort of expected considering what was said to MY20 owners when the MY21 changes were announced.

On the one hand, there is a definite marketing benefit and potential sales benefit to being more dynamic (especially in light of upcoming competition). On the other, they have really shat the bed in a sense by doing so - which will be further exacerbated by pandemic and supply chain shortages, I imagine.

So you've got MY20 owners irritated by missing out on a "free" ~50HP (at stock tune) and worried about depreciation, MY21 owners worried about what seems to be a ~30% failure rate... and probably also about depreciation. Now probably a pause on anything truly "new and exciting" for at least the MY22 and possibly MY23 releases. Of course, that's without mentioning the whole LE units being nothing more than aesthetics - with some being manufactured well after many "normal" versions were.

Add all that together and you have a growing feeling amongst potential future owners of "maybe I'd better just wait and see." No way of knowing what would have happened if they'd just kept everything the same for 3-4 model years while testing and re-engineering the next platform... but I don't think it would hurt profitability (or demand) as much as having a bunch of buy-backs or engine replacements is likely to.

Regardless, for those who followed from the beginning - there is no way not to view the MKV as a string of broken promises... regardless of which year/trim you purchased. It's still a ton of fun to drive however... and I hope you either don't have one of the "burners" - or Toyota gets you sorted out quickly.

All I'm reading here is,

"I'm not having anywhere near as much fun as I could have"

:p
LOL... guilty as charged! It's my DD for now... but it's at least 1,000% more fun driving it way below it's potential - than it is driving my wife's RX350 at the absolute limit (which is under the speed limit on some roads, I think). o_O

Last edited:

Sereph102889

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Catted downpipe, jb4 with ewg and e30 blend using flex fuel sensor. Nothing crazy and I mostly run map 3.
I'm thinking once I hit 3k miles I'm going to check the oil situation, if it's the same as the last picture I posted, im going to pull the trigger on the tune. My ECU date is 03/18/20 so I feel like I'm in the clear and there's a shop within a 4 hour drive that has a great reputation with BMW and the MKV supra.

ravenwest

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Well, I for one definitely do feel sympathy for you... I wish there weren't problems with any MKV's regardless of model year - but that's a pipe dream now. I think Tada-san and company made a fairly big error in judgement as far as the "improvements every year..." execution is concerned. I wouldn't take @Axix23 's post personally - but it is sort of expected considering what was said to MY20 owners when the MY21 changes were announced.

On the one hand, there is a definite marketing benefit and potential sales benefit to being more dynamic (especially in light of upcoming competition).
But honestly what does the future of the platform look like with regard to other cars like the new Nissan 400Z as long as this one has a locked ECU?
Sponsored